Home

NHL 17 Ultimate Team Offers a Good Experience

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Ultimate Team Offers a Good Experience within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NHL 17 Ultimate Team Offers a Good Experience

I've played more than my fair share of NHL 17 over the past couple weeks, and I've been spending a lot of time in Hockey Ultimate Team. It's an area of the series that has undergone somewhat of an overhaul this year, with a few key changes to note.

I'm going to take this chance to go a little more in-depth with my thoughts on this addictive pastime.

Read More - NHL 17 Ultimate Team Offers a Good Experience
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
Rookie

G_e_e_z_e_r's Arena

OVR: 0
On paper it's good but the same glaring game play issues still exists. Online play is the same old garbage.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Rookie

VeNOM2099's Arena

OVR: 3
I feel that HUT, even though it's been tweaked slightly from past iterations, is still basically a pay to win mode. Yes, Draft Champs helps alleviate this somewhat by offering players without the "deep pockets" to get some rewards via the Draft Champ Token trade ins (for example, trade in 15 Draft Tokens to get a card worth from 1000 to 10 000 coins). However, it doesn't really change the basic premise of this mode which was changed from what it was originally, a way to build your team up slowly through each division until you reached the 1st division until you had a team that you could truly call "ULTIMATE". That all changed for the worst however when EA figured out what a huge cash grab HUT could be by allowing players to simply pony up dough and have their "ultimate" team on day 1.

So now those of us who start this mode with the "starter" packs get to face teams of all legends in Div 10. Sooooooooo much fun...

That said, I do enjoy the Draft Champions mode. I think it's a nice addition that takes out the stress and hassle of HUT. You can build our "Ultimate" team by chosing a theme and try to take them through a short 4 game mini-tourney. And the rewards at the end can still be used to bolster your team in HUT if you still want to bother with it.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5
I enjoyed HUT better when you built players with contract cards that expired. There is no reason at all to use anyone but NHL players now.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
Rookie

cuoreceltico's Arena

ahahahaha good try of advertising
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15
I would enjoy the mode a lot more if they brought training cards back. There's no point in using anyone but NHL players. This diminishes the market. Good luck trying to make money selling gold players. I would enjoy the mode a lot more if the default sliders weren't awful. Draft champions is ok, but the only real difference I feel in players is which ones can pick their snipe spots better. This is especially true against the cpu. Curtis Joseph will get lit up just like Phillipp Grubauer. It's simply not worth the time grinding if the players all feel the same.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #7
MVP

TheDutchDad's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: NHL 17 Ultimate Team Offers a Good Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheib43
I enjoyed HUT better when you built players with contract cards that expired. There is no reason at all to use anyone but NHL players now.
Exactly this. The first version of HUT was still the best by far. Contracts on players expired, you had salaries, you were able to train and boost players stas that lasted the entire time the contract existed on a player, which in turn made for some very fun team building and you'd see a good variation of teams. Now all we see is the same teams, same NHL players, never do I see AHL, CHL, QMJHL, etc.

Every version of UT across all EA games are somewhat boring now cause they are all the same.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #8
OuttaNaptown

punx317's Arena

The best feature for hut is play a friend. You can't expect ea to make it hard on people to make juggernauts. After all they make a vast majority of their income from micro transactions. With play a friend we can however police ourselves so to speak. Get into club play, make leagues, cap amount spent on team etc. I was witnessed a guy sell his team via PayPal for 1100 dollars, don't be anonymous in hut make friends like yourself and avoid these guys. Play a friend

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »