Home

Do the devs see this?

This is a discussion on Do the devs see this? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2016, 04:17 AM   #41
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Do the devs see this?

Im not gonna blather on and on here, but Ive always thought it was cute how so many posters want the game to be pretty much perfectly realistic in every way-- but then they want to play on 10 minute periods.

How can you want a perfectly realistic game...but expect to get perfect stats in half the actual play time as a real life NHL game? That is completely irrational if you have zero intentions of playing with full 20 minute periods. Many play 8-10 minute periods, want perfect hockey slop, and perfect statistical results.

Thus, the cycle of disatisfaction continues...kind of amusing, really.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2016, 06:22 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D
One alternative is to post about stuff you would like to see improved, and then be satisfied they will look at it and do what they can, even if they don't respond to your post. And then avoid posting the same things over and over and over.

We could avoid responding to every update with a list of stuff we think they should have done, and instead concentrate on the update itself. And if the update addressed other parts of the game that we aren't interested in, we could just be happy for the people who like that instead of lamenting how much the developers don't care about us.

The OP of this thread was about how the developers do read this site, as well as many other forms of social media. They are aware of what we want, what we are disappointed with, and what our focus is when playing games. They really don't need to hold our hands and tell us how special we are.

I'm going to tell you, I personally always hope they ignore the most vocal people here. I usually hate what they think makes the game great. I don't begrudge anyone for wanting the game to be more sim. But at some point, it stops being fun.

And really, they don't want to have to tell you in this forum that what you want is not what they want to make, whether it is personal preference or if it is based on the gobs and gobs of telemetry data they collect, focus groups they use, and their survey of ALL users across social media. Sometimes they just need to nod their heads and move on.

At some point, as enthusiasts of this genre, we need to learn to enjoy the games and stop making it be about fixing them and making them better every year. This series has been way to good for this forum to be so negative all the time.

Think about when you first started playing sports games. We just played the games and had a blast. The imperfections were no big deal. You can still do that.

Sure, post some suggestions. But don't forget to have fun. If you aren't, then the game is probably not for you, and you nut is probably not nearly as valuable as you think.

Couldn't disagree more on the bolded part. This is an annual purchase for some, there has to be improvements. There are a few people who will pay $60 for a roster update which is cool but the issue I think most of us have is the lack of improvements every year.

NHL used to be THE sports title. I don't think it's wrong for us to want to go back to that point. Skill stick, EASHL, and a great attempt at user controlled goalies pushed this series into the spotlight.

There is NOTHING wrong with people complaining or making suggestions on how to improve the game. As with everything else, no one goes on forums to speak highly of anything.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:41 AM   #43
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

I lost respect for the developers when they claimed in a Q&A that they had no knowledge of the Revamped Rosters.
Either they weren't being truthful or they don't visit this site.

The whole reason for these Revamped Rosters is because the player ratings need a major overhaul.
And why? Because there isn't nearly enough player separation or differentiation from one player type to another.
This is something that the EA community (and not just here at OS) has been ranting about for nearly a decade now.

I'm sorry if the devs had their feelings hurt and I'm certainly one of the members who has gradually become more and more disenfranchised and angry and it's spilled out in my posts.
I apologize for that as nobody should be spoken down to in that manor.
But since we've only had one choice of hockey game for 6 years now, I've grown increasingly frustrated with the lack of improvement in the way of making each player and team play to their unique abilities and strategies.

I also believe there would be a lot more dev involvement on these forums if there was a 2nd option.
The only girl in an all-male school doesn't have to work for attention.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:57 AM   #44
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I lost respect for the developers when they claimed in a Q&A that they had no knowledge of the Revamped Rosters.
Either they weren't being truthful or they don't visit this site.

The whole reason for these Revamped Rosters is because the player ratings need a major overhaul.
And why? Because there isn't nearly enough player separation or differentiation from one player type to another.
This is something that the EA community (and not just here at OS) has been ranting about for nearly a decade now.

I'm sorry if the devs had their feelings hurt and I'm certainly one of the members who has gradually become more and more disenfranchised and angry and it's spilled out in my posts.
I apologize for that as nobody should be spoken down to in that manor.
But since we've only had one choice of hockey game for 6 years now, I've grown increasingly frustrated with the lack of improvement in the way of making each player and team play to their unique abilities and strategies.

I also believe there would be a lot more dev involvement on these forums if there was a 2nd option.
The only girl in an all-male school doesn't have to work for attention.
In one post you have encapsulated what is wrong with today's gamer. Entitlement. "I don't like your game so I get to be angry and throw out insults". You even do the "I'm sorry for talking down - BUT" that ends up being the false apology.

We used to want to make sports games better. In one post you have shown that this isn't about this any more, it's about "What have you done for me lately" and not wanting to be a part of making game better.

This forum (the NHL one, not all is OS) just isn't ready to be that anymore, and that hurts because I've consistently gone to bat for a group that is ruined by a few bad apples.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #45
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
In one post you have encapsulated what is wrong with today's gamer. Entitlement. "I don't like your game so I get to be angry and throw out insults". You even do the "I'm sorry for talking down - BUT" that ends up being the false apology.

We used to want to make sports games better. In one post you have shown that this isn't about this any more, it's about "What have you done for me lately" and not wanting to be a part of making game better.

This forum (the NHL one, not all is OS) just isn't ready to be that anymore, and that hurts because I've consistently gone to bat for a group that is ruined by a few bad apples.

I realize that we don't agree on this, and that's fine. But I do believe consumers who are upset with a product have a right to complain.
EA uses this forum to promote their product, but then they want to run and hide when people are negative towards their game?
They only want the joy, but none of the pain.

BTW, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your points.
But I do feel that those, like me, who are dissatisfied with the product and rant and rave, aren't doing so just because they like to do so. Or because we feel entitled.
Maybe we see that the game can be great if they would just make a few adjustments.
Adjustments that have been discussed here ad naseum, and in a polite, PC way, only to be met with crickets.

To reiterate my point above, if EA doesn't want the flack, then stop using OS to promote their product via the GameChangers program or by flying members out to Vancouver.
They're not out there to actually help produce the game, or introduce ideas. They're there solely so they can be wooed and return to their forums to praise the game, thereby increasing commercial interest in their product.

This is the last I'll say of it and I'm sorry if I've cluttered this thread with more negative talk.
I've basically stayed out of this forum for a long time and I'll continue to do so.
I'll also continue voicing my opinion of the game where it matters - with my wallet.
Cheers and please have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #46
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D
One alternative is to post about stuff you would like to see improved, and then be satisfied they will look at it and do what they can, even if they don't respond to your post. And then avoid posting the same things over and over and over.

We could avoid responding to every update with a list of stuff we think they should have done, and instead concentrate on the update itself. And if the update addressed other parts of the game that we aren't interested in, we could just be happy for the people who like that instead of lamenting how much the developers don't care about us.

The OP of this thread was about how the developers do read this site, as well as many other forms of social media. They are aware of what we want, what we are disappointed with, and what our focus is when playing games. They really don't need to hold our hands and tell us how special we are.

I'm going to tell you, I personally always hope they ignore the most vocal people here. I usually hate what they think makes the game great. I don't begrudge anyone for wanting the game to be more sim. But at some point, it stops being fun.

And really, they don't want to have to tell you in this forum that what you want is not what they want to make, whether it is personal preference or if it is based on the gobs and gobs of telemetry data they collect, focus groups they use, and their survey of ALL users across social media. Sometimes they just need to nod their heads and move on.

At some point, as enthusiasts of this genre, we need to learn to enjoy the games and stop making it be about fixing them and making them better every year. This series has been way to good for this forum to be so negative all the time.

Think about when you first started playing sports games. We just played the games and had a blast. The imperfections were no big deal. You can still do that.

Sure, post some suggestions. But don't forget to have fun. If you aren't, then the game is probably not for you, and you nut is probably not nearly as valuable as you think.
I think that steps around the points I've tried to make.

The reason I suggested one central location for summarized and well thought out ideas isn't so EA can come in and say "Nice post, actionhank, here's a pat on the ***". It's so that we all can realize that if a Dev at EA was to say "We're looking for ideas to improve defensive play, let's see what people think" and rather than expect a Developer to spend an inordinate amount of time going through page, after page of posts, some people just yelling about ice tilt, or others asking how to change the color of pads, they can just go to one thread, scroll through and see what people have written about defensive play. I don't need EA to acknowledge my thoughts, but it's nice to know they apparently see what people write.

I take issue with the "At some point people just need to learn to enjoy the game, or get over it" attitude. It's completely dismissive of what certain people enjoy, and the general trend of what people want. I don't think everyone should want to enjoy a simulation game. I don't think everyone should be forced to enjoy an arcade style game. I like when people can tune things to their own liking. To say "Well, if you don't like it, maybe just stop playing" is completely dismissive, and ignores the fact that without people asking for things like the ability to fine tune the game, we might not have the currently expanded set of sliders that we do.

I think people tend to think that if you criticize a game, you hate it. Which isn't true at all. Are there people who you're never going to please, who yell and scream about every little thing? Sure. But at the same time, to write off everyone's complaints just because of a few would be foolish. Plenty of people here have had great ideas in regards to customizing the game, how the on ice gameplay could be improved, and how rosters and attributes could be handled.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #47
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

I'm making a liar out of myself for saying I was done posting in this thread, but...

I like the idea of having a private area for the devs and some of the more well-spoken, thoughtful members to communicate.

actionhank, Jones, Millenium, onlybygrace, etc, etc (don't mean to ignore all of the great posters here).

If that can lead to more fruitful discussions then I'd love to see OS employ it.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #48
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I'm making a liar out of myself for saying I was done posting in this thread, but...

I like the idea of having a private area for the devs and some of the more well-spoken, thoughtful members to communicate.

actionhank, Jones, Millenium, onlybygrace, etc, etc (don't mean to ignore all of the great posters here).

If that can lead to more fruitful discussions then I'd love to see OS employ it.
I don't and here is why -

Some of the best opinions/feedback are the ones that haven't said one word yet. It should be an open forum for constructive feedback for everyone.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »