Home

Six Changes That Make NHL 19 The Most Promising Hockey Game Of The Generation

This is a discussion on Six Changes That Make NHL 19 The Most Promising Hockey Game Of The Generation within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Six Changes That Make NHL 19 The Most Promising Hockey Game Of The Generation

GameInformer has posted some more NHL 19 details in their latest article, Six Changes That Make NHL...

Written By: Steve Noah

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2018, 11:38 PM   #2
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Six Changes That Make NHL 19 The Most Promising Hockey Game Of The Generation

This article has some really good information. The new skating system and collision system does sound promising, but player separation has to also be a focus or it really doesn't mean much. Also, since there is a new physics engine, does that mean the goalies have finally been improved or is the system just applied to the skaters?

I like the mention of a new scouting system as well, but I want more from the franchise mode.. so hopefully there is more.

I am less bummed after reading it, thanks for posting the link!
Old 06-21-2018, 12:24 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Six Changes That Make NHL 19 The Most Promising Hockey Game Of The Generation

It should be the most promising hockey game of the generation because it's the next hockey game releasing this generation. Too bad I don't expect EA to live up to any expectations
Old 06-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Thank-you for posting this Steve.
This article has me feeling more optimistic than before.

Quote:
For years, we’ve been asking for dramatically improved player handling to give us more fidelity in moving in small spaces, more agility when making turns so it doesn’t feel like you are steering the Titanic, and better puck pickups. EA Canada thinks it can go three for three on these requests thanks to the integration of the Real Player Motion animation technology and significant changes to how players skate.

Grabbing the controller, it only took a matter of seconds to understand just how dramatically the skating system has improved. Players burst out of their stops, showing the acceleration of world-class athletes. Their edgework, crossovers, and carving looks more in line with NHL players, and it’s much easier to turn, cut, and make hard stops. Turns are more responsive and natural feeling. "Before it was difficult to just take a step or two over, now you can actually do that," Ho says. That fidelity of movement is going to be necessary, because when elite stick handlers get used to the new skating, they could be even harder to stop.
That bolded part is very true. Skating with Datsyuk, Crosby, etc, I felt like I was moving in mud.
The biggest question STILL is whether the CPU will also be confined to the skating engine and their attributes.
What's frustrated me more than anything else in the EA series is feeling like I'm controlling an 18-wheeler while the CPU is darting around the ice like waterbugs regardless of who had the puck.
If this is fixed, I will likely give this game a chance.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the skating animations really do look incredible. I hope that the better skaters have that explosive first step, or agility when moving in tight.

Last edited by Money99; 06-21-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #5
Rookie

PhillyGuy11826's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
This article has some really good information. The new skating system and collision system does sound promising, but player separation has to also be a focus or it really doesn't mean much. Also, since there is a new physics engine, does that mean the goalies have finally been improved or is the system just applied to the skaters?

I like the mention of a new scouting system as well, but I want more from the franchise mode.. so hopefully there is more.

I am skeptical about player separation because back for NHL 11/12 they had stated that players (at the time) like Danny Briere or Nathan Gerbe wouldn't be able to knock down players like Zdeno Chara or Tyler Myers, but it still happened.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:

I want more from franchise mode as well. I just hope the CPU AI has been improved upon, and we see player differences in skating, shooting and player movement and celebrations on the ice. Goalies need an update too. The video preview looks promising, but I need to see actual game play before I fork over my money to EA.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #7
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

The skating sounds promising but how will the AI be? I still say the teammate AI was the single worst part of the game next to skating that ruined offline play.
Looks like they still can’t get poke checking right. Either it’s too many penalties or spam poke fest.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

Quote:

That article did an infinitely better job at selling the game than their stupid trailer ever could. Its insane how out of touch they are with their consumers wants and desires for the game

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »