Home

What's Going On With NHL 19? Interview with NHL 19 producer Ben Ross

This is a discussion on What's Going On With NHL 19? Interview with NHL 19 producer Ben Ross within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2018, 05:45 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: What's Going On With NHL 19? Interview with NHL 19 producer Ben Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerScott
What I got out of it is EA is catering to the online crowd, and even though the dev thinks they are wrong EA is implementing the changes the online players want, i.e. being able to turn on a dime, and generally be supermen.

So to all us offline slobs, tough.
Perfectly said
Old 11-18-2018, 11:20 PM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ NEO
Perfectly said
It's exactly like a politician. Yak yak yak, and nothing is actually said or accomplished. Other than HUT, their cash cow, no other mode matters to EA anymore. EASHL is an absolute disgrace, as it plays out like the worst Ed Wood movie in video gaming history. Fall behind, don't worry as the turbo ice-tilt (that's not in the game) will suddenly kick in and even things up.

There's no such thing as being rewarded for playing skilled hockey as the game still boils down to the glitch goals being the deciding factor.

Do you honestly think EA gives a crap though? Why should they if they can still sell a few hundred thousand copies each year using the same damn core engine that they have been for the past 10 years. All they've continued to do is tweak the skating and physics engine, but the core engine which includes the ******** ai, hasn't been touched because then they'd have to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars to completely rebuild their game.
So until another company comes along and gives EA some much needed competition, all we're going to get from year to year is another Ed Wood movie in video gaming form.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:30 AM   #11
Rookie

Northernwolf's Arena

*sigh*
This is EA double-speak.
It is just a lot of empty words that mean absolutely nothing!

EA has for years now decided that the offline and single player experience in games are dead.

This is of course complete elitist babble from EA and their corporate ownership.

These suits will never understand what a developer does or a graphical designer for that matter.

They dont see the amount of hours put into a game to give it lifelike experience. they will not care about the craft or artwork it takes to go into one single game.

This is why we are now locked in talks where EA mostly discusses how they are going to improve online and HUT in this or that way. Where marketablity and buzzwords meant to catch on with whoever thinks it sounds like the next big thing. This is where the money is for them. A quick cash grab until the market actually cares enough to stop buying in to this nonsense.

And you know what?

EA is wrong.

God of War

Witcher 3

Horizon Zero Dawn
The Legend of Zelda
GTA V
Red Dead Redemption 2

All games with a strong offline, single player experience.

These games have sold like crazy - they have won prizes - and most of all: They will not be forgotten when this console generation is over.

I wish some of the sports games I like had the strength to stop a few years and just make a really good game head to toe. One that has sliders offline and online. one where HUT games dont affect your offline game and vica versa.

A good sports game where you dont hear a developer say they will remove a part of the game this year. Or not support gameplay or a game mode. It is hilarious. If any of the above had done so there would be complete uproar on anything from blogs to twitter to online game news sites.

I wish that sports game was NHL.

Every time I read one of these articles like: "EA - what is up with my fave sports game" I just want to grab a bottle and listen to some Cash and think of better times. Simpler times.

Im sorry guys.. Im just not seeing a lot of hope for the future of this game.

Hey EA: How bout you just get us that Roster sharing and start with that at least? Fancy words wont sell you any more copies. Make a better game dangit!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 6

I won't spend a dime on this game until we can use the legends in offline franchise.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernwolf
And you know what?

EA is wrong.

God of War
Witcher 3
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Legend of Zelda
GTA V
Red Dead Redemption 2
But even thinking of offline in sports:

Franchise - FIFA, SHOW, 2K, MADDEN
Story Mode - 2K, SHOW, FIFA.

it is possible!
Old 11-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernwolf
And you know what?

EA is wrong.

God of War

Witcher 3

Horizon Zero Dawn
The Legend of Zelda
GTA V
Red Dead Redemption 2!
I'm all for having a problem with EA and the way they handle their games (NHL more specifically) and such but I wish you guys would stop misquoting EA and then trying to use it again them when you're just reinforcing their point.

I can't remember the quote off the top of my head but it claimed that LINEAR singleplayer games aren't as popular as they once was and open world games are now what everybody wants, which you've basically agreed with by listing 5/6 games they would of used as examples, so well done on that I suppose?

I agree EA and their choices for how they handle their games can be real dreadful, but please stop making any arguments you make against EA invalid by misquoting things.

Edit: The quote from EA was "As we kept reviewing the game, it continued to look like a much more linear game [which] people don't like as much today as they did five years ago or 10 years ago," this was regarding Visceral Games when they were shutdown and the quote was regarding the Star-Wars game they were working on.

Last edited by TheVirus; 11-22-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:59 PM   #15
Rookie

Man I can't believe all you guys bad mouthing the dev for this laying it all out there reveal of their process. I've never heard so much detail of what it takes to fine tune a game like NHL. I can't help but respect them for the effort they're making. Trying to project onto them a bunch of bad motives as if he's lying is pure young dude in the basement with nothing better to do bull. Grow up!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2018, 03:03 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlerpaul
Man I can't believe all you guys bad mouthing the dev for this laying it all out there reveal of their process. I've never heard so much detail of what it takes to fine tune a game like NHL. I can't help but respect them for the effort they're making. Trying to project onto them a bunch of bad motives as if he's lying is pure young dude in the basement with nothing better to do bull. Grow up!
really i do not read it that way , I too am frustrated have been for years but i kept buying the game because there are no other options so the problem will likely continue until there is another company making a hockey game, you gotta admit and see the big picture it used to be they would talk about how they where going to add this and that but they like every other game

company saw the light the light of micro transaction giving something people could own the collecting card thing trying to get ultra rare cards to use online for there fav players what a way to go, pay lots of money for something you can never touch and at some point the online servers will not be there as they recycle it every year treating there core users like addicts .

in reality what have they added ? lets break the game down in sections and see where they really have advanced
lets talk the ice they skate on is it impressive to you ? has it changed ?
or lets talk player models and how they move on the ice or how they look
are you impressed ? with what it looks like now versus 5 years ago lets say
how about the detail to the cyberfaces would you say there on the level of
nba 2k19 ? or the graphics are they close to a madden or nba live or nba 2k or fifa game no there not not even close .

how about the commentary is it revolutionary in any way or even close to lets say maddens level or nba 2k or even the mlb baseball game. if i had to rank them i would put the nhl series last. what about this game is it way better than it was 5 yrs ago , how creative are the camera angles ? have they tried to improve or create new ones is the crowd and stadium Ambience really Submersive

is it revolutionary in any way ? no far from it yeah the skating is getting better but really when I buy a new game I want that feeling the feeling where your girlfriend or wife says are you coming to bed because you could not stop playing it and you tell yourself when you go to bed i can not wait to get back up to play it again, when they do that then they will have a great game.

This stuff has all been mentioned before and they do nothing
the rinks the canned animations the stanley cup celebration the way the players move the way you can score a goal if you close your eyes now and picture in your head what nhl 20 will be you will get 90 percent of what nhl 20 will be like and the options you will have while you play it, heck they might even bring back a feature they took out a few years ago , my fellow hockey friends it is what it is
and it wont change any time soon.

the best thing they really could do is open a thread and say we would like to hear your ideas and get this game going in the right direction,

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »