Home

Trapezoid Rule....thoughts?

This is a discussion on Trapezoid Rule....thoughts? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2021, 08:44 PM   #1
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
Trapezoid Rule....thoughts?

In this game I turned it off after seeing the penalties for it that were completely out of your control. I absolutely love it and will from now on always turn it off. It speeds up the game and keeps things moving along. And when I turn the puck over with my goalie it creates some extra drama that isn't there with the rule on.

Is this something the NHL would get rid of irl to speed up the game even more? My thought is, if the goalie wants to leave his net unprotected that's on him and should be allowed. I guess I don't understand why the rule was put in place to begin with.

Let the goalie come way out and pass the puck and let's keep it moving I say. I would assume without it irl there would be even more scoring, thus more excitement for the fans. Maybe I am completely off base and wrong on this idk.

Thoughts/opinions on this rule? Genuinely curious...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Operation Sports mobile app

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo

Last edited by DarthRambo; 06-30-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
Rookie

lancdave's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Trapezoid Rule....thoughts?

It was actually put in due to goalies that handled the puck too well (I think some people even call it the Marty Brodeur rule). It made it harder to dump and chase, as the goalie would retrieve a lot of pucks and get it to the D or out of the zone. If anything, the trapezoid rule was meant to help the offense.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #3
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancdave
It was actually put in due to goalies that handled the puck too well (I think some people even call it the Marty Brodeur rule). It made it harder to dump and chase, as the goalie would retrieve a lot of pucks and get it to the D or out of the zone. If anything, the trapezoid rule was meant to help the offense.
Hmm...I guess I can understand that but the players now are so much faster than back then no? I would think if a goalie tried it all the time these faster skaters would be down there too quickly before the goalie could pass to the D man.

I read some things on it and saw arguments on both sides. It's very interesting to me. I would personally like to see them at least test not having it again in preseason or something though. And very few goalies can handle the puck anyway. And no one can like Brodeur did.

Old 07-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #4
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

OVR: 0

I always turn it off in-game because the goalies are beyond stupid and take these penalties all of the time. I agree, it makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

As for real life, I think having it cleans up the messy "goalie interference" scenarios that could happen with goalies trying to sprint to the corners on soft dumps. It's a hard line to officiate in that instance. If I had my way, I would simply make the trapezoid the "protected" area for goalies (can't hit them) and outside of it the "unprotected" area where goalies are subject to being pinned and played as if they're a skater. Best of both worlds option imo, but guessing the league is trying to save the goalies from themselves a bit there while also making officiating easier.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipNotiiC_x
I always turn it off in-game because the goalies are beyond stupid and take these penalties all of the time. I agree, it makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

As for real life, I think having it cleans up the messy "goalie interference" scenarios that could happen with goalies trying to sprint to the corners on soft dumps. It's a hard line to officiate in that instance. If I had my way, I would simply make the trapezoid the "protected" area for goalies (can't hit them) and outside of it the "unprotected" area where goalies are subject to being pinned and played as if they're a skater. Best of both worlds option imo, but guessing the league is trying to save the goalies from themselves a bit there while also making officiating easier.
All good points. Definitely would be much more difficult on the refs if goalies were getting tripped up or whatever. And just like the NFL protects their QBs, the NHL really protects their goalies. Just that alone would probably means they would never go back to the old way. I agree with you, I think they should be able to get pinned up in the boards. That's the risk they would have to decide to take or not if they want to play the puck.

Just a very interesting rule to me as a hockey fan but not hardcore into it. It's definitely taken over the NBA for me though. Prefer to watch hockey over NBA nowadays. Something I would've never thought possible just 5 years ago lol

Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »