Home

Defense Video GUIDE - How to Counter Body Kicks

This is a discussion on Defense Video GUIDE - How to Counter Body Kicks within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

OVR: 0
Defense Video GUIDE - How to Counter Body Kicks

If you're not familiar with the terms Punishment and Pressure, or if you just want more info in general, please check this thread:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ing-guide.html

Here is the video guide:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2017, 01:13 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Defense Video GUIDE - How to Counter Body Kicks

Vid won't play for me, so I'm gonna share some methods that worked for me.

If there was no setup, try a catch, if it's coming behind a jab, I found walking in after the jab and they either ducking swaying into the kick will allow you to time a hook (off a sway) or upper (off a duck) that will land flush a faction after the kick, usually doing a LOT more damage to your opponent that the kick does to you.

You will still take a little damage doing this, but you'll land a much more powerful counter, I found it'd make jab-body kick spammers stop spamming it once is countered it a few times.

Dunno if this is the smartest way to counter body kicks, but it works, the kick won't interrupt the sway counter and they'll be quite vulnerable when it connects.

Edit# Back stepping, then a step in head kick while they reset is another counter I loved using, if it lands, fight is over.

Edit#2: Just watched the vid at work, great job, I'm guessing I'm wrong on swaying to the side, though it will allow you to land a clean counter as the kick lands, I'm guessing it doesn't mitigate as much damage (or any) as ducking.

I definitely will be adding a few of them to my game, you can never have too many defensive options.

Last edited by AeroZeppelin27; 12-17-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroZeppelin27
Edit#2: Just watched the vid at work, great job, I'm guessing I'm wrong on swaying to the side, though it will allow you to land a clean counter as the kick lands, I'm guessing it doesn't mitigate as much damage (or any) as ducking.
No. You were right. Leaning to the side of body kick works just like ducking. It's just risky from a kicking range, becase the kick might come to your head, instead. From close range, even if they try a head kick, it will hit your body,, which means that leaning to the side of the kick is a great option, that also avoids uppers.

I'm glad you liked the video.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #4
MVP

What if I pride myself on being able to read high strikes vs low strikes in time? Would that mean I could do my thing and be more successful countering off a block given the risk reward? (not counting the avoiding uppercuts part)

ps: I'm not saying I can pull off what I'm describing, but I am constantly working on it given the animations provided.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
MVP

Thumbs up Re: Defense Video GUIDE - How to Counter Body Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Altair
No. You were right. Leaning to the side of body kick works just like ducking. It's just risky from a kicking range, becase the kick might come to your head, instead. From close range, even if they try a head kick, it will hit your body,, which means that leaning to the side of the kick is a great option, that also avoids uppers.

I'm glad you liked the video.

I thought it felt quite effective, thanks for letting me know, and yeah, a few sneaky player noticed I was swaying into the body kicks and went high, it was... Uh.. brutal, for me. Haha. But that's a great example of the risk v reward system too.

keep up the good work man.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2017, 10:51 PM   #6
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil97
What if I pride myself on being able to read high strikes vs low strikes in time? Would that mean I could do my thing and be more successful countering off a block given the risk reward? (not counting the avoiding uppercuts part)

ps: I'm not saying I can pull off what I'm describing, but I am constantly working on it given the animations provided.
I think it is possible to half-read / half-fuzzy-guard between a head kick and a body kick, if they're naked. The body kick is considerably slower. So, I think an experient player can start blocking high, then drop the block a bit later... with perhaps some help from the animations.

The reward is probably a little smaller. And I think you still take some bleedthrough damage through the low block (which is too high, imo). The lean armor counter gives you a better profit, I think. And the catch is probably the best, besides being the cleanest.

Kicks in combos are a different story, though. Their speed seems similar and both heights are fast. And even for naked kicks, a mix up of leg and head has a similar speed, too, with the leg ones being just a bit faster. Fuzzying it would be too hard and dangerous, I suppose. So, basically, I think you can git gud at fuzzy-guarding a naked mix up of body and head and it might be a good business, specially if you have enough reason not to duck (uppers, front kicks, etc.).

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »