Home

Damage system idea: VIDEO INSIDE

This is a discussion on Damage system idea: VIDEO INSIDE within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Damage system idea: VIDEO INSIDE

Okay so this thread is going to be a about a few different things.
1: Damage.
2: Hitstun.
3: TKO GNP Animation.
Now these are all ideas I have for the game, let me know if you guys agree.

First and foremost I came across this video on YouTube. This YouTuber came up with realistic sliders and so far it plays like a real fight imo. I watched it a couple times and realized a few things from this video.

1. Fights look more technical.
2. Stamina makes you be more cautious.
3. Damage is no joke. Which means KO's can happen more often from one hit strikes, (being more realistic) than just rocks the majority of the time or active knockdowns happening instead.
4. (My personal favorite) GNP after a knockdown is reduced, and the amount of knockdowns leading up to a KO are reduced as well, (making the issue of overly exaggerated amount of active knockdowns a thing in the past) and making fights look more realistic than before. Also FTF is not rare with this damage implemented as a lot of people as myself have been wanting to reduce the "walk off KO's"

Active knockdowns are more possible to turn into FTF moments as well if you manage to land a strike on the way down, making fights look more fluid on the TKO scenarios. Most fights will look more technical and the ones that don't will be over quick if they try to fight dumb or overly aggressive. Now like the dude says the default damage system might be like this for casuals, but man the whole game would be 10x better if it played out like this!
Take a look for yourself.

If we could have this or something close to this, (regarding damage and stamina) I think we would have a lot more realistic looking fights.

So I tested these out and combined those sliders with a suggestion from an OS member and I came up with my own and here are the results.

AI Difficulty: Pro/Legendary
Sliders
Perks: On
Stamina Recovery: On
CPU Stamina Recovery: On
Stamina Cost: 5 up from default
CPU Stamina Cost: Same as above
Health Recovery: Off
CPU Health Recovery: Off
Damage: 5 up from default
CPU Damage: Same as above
Transition Speed: Maxed out
CPU Transition Speed: Maxed out
Submission Speed: 3 up from default
CPU Submission Speed: Same as above
Grapple Advantage: On
Competitive HUD: Off

Let me know what you guys think on these sliders. I have more realistic fights on my channel if you guys want to see these sliders in action.

Now to talk about "hitstun." I made a thread about punch exchanges this week I believe, and I don't think I explained too well what I meant so here it is.

There is a hitstun that happens in the game at times, that freezes you in place without the ability to do anything for either a second or half a second. Now this is fine for some strikes depending on stopping power, if it lands clean, timing etc. Of course for fancy strikes, head kicks, body kicks, and overhands are a whole different story. Those normally have huge hit reactions whether landed clean or not so those are fine as they are. But imo you shouldn't get completely frozen for some of these strikes. I'm mostly talking about strikes that you would normally see fighters strike back to even if they got hit like, jabs, straights, hooks, and body shots. Irl fighters can fight back or move out of the way, by swaying or simply moving. It should be your choice if you want to risk getting hit, attempt to block, sway, move, or try to "stand and bang." Not just get completely frozen without having those options.

One thing I want to suggest as an idea for this is to implement weak blocking, misses, complete whiffs, and weak strikes when this "hitstun" happens. Having this will make "wars"/"slugfests" possible which currently aren't to a certain extent. Say you decide to block, you should be able to but with some bleethrough. If you choose to strike back, it's a risk but you should have the option to. If you choose to sway, let it be less effective while the fighter is still looking hurt while moving. All of these would have risk vs reward, fights would just look more natural, fluid, and less awkward.

Last topic I want to cover. There is this screenshot on the EA UFC 3 website and I asked about it when the beta dropped. I got told that this animation is in the game but I haven't seen it anywhere. Reason why I'm asking again is because this and these sliders could be the solution to the whole FTF after GNP scenario. I'm going to post it on the bottom of this thread because I have no idea how to post it below this paragraph lol.

Bare with me here, in this image notice the fighter is not fully unconscious. THIS should be the default animation for when the fighter is on their side after a severe knockdown. They look like they're aware that they're getting hit, therefore it looks more realistic if they survive because they don't look like they're dead. Which it looked really dumb in UFC 2 where the fighter would magically recover after looking dead, and still looks dumb in UFC 3. This animation could at least be the solution for the side FTF animation. If GNP after KO is added they could just use the one we have now, the "unconscious animation." Now for the whole GNP after KO moment, there is also another possible solution. It's been talked about before but mainly because it's true. The solution could be to just minimize the strikes to a downed opponent to either just one or 2 strikes. This currently is possible with the sliders I showed today here on this thread believe it or not. My two videos that I posted clearly show just one strike after the AI kicked me in the face to end the fight. It looks tons better than the excessive amount of strikes we got in UFC 2, much more realistic. One thing that I don't get is why do they have the fighter looking unconscious after a knockdown and you're still able to land 5 to 6 strikes in the current system.. yet we can't have GNP after a KO because of the whole, "unconscious fighter getting hit" reason that would basically look the same as a severe knockdown does now... With the current damage system some fighters can still take wayyy too much punishment (especially in career mode) which I also agree career mode should have sliders available to use. So the result of the current damage system creates issues within the game that I talked about here, and are also on other threads. Making the damage more so like these sliders could eliminate these issues. Give em' a go and tweak em as you like. This game plays amazing with these sliders.

Let me know your results! Thank you.
Edit: I'm aware the devs know about the whole FTF issue/concern, but until we get ref interactions in this game I think this would be the best solution for now. I also found out this animation below does happen but only while you're recovering for a split second, so it's in there. They would just need to put that as the default FTF animation imo.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20180112-161628.png (2.03 MB, 144 views)

Last edited by Stealthhh; 02-04-2018 at 03:09 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2018, 11:31 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Damage system idea: VIDEO INSIDE

Bump please
Old 01-31-2018, 07:05 AM   #3
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

Very interesting. I'll be very keen on trying out these sliders when i get my hands on the game. Do they overwrite the fighter stats? meaning if you max out ground transition slider for both, will a 60 and a 90 grappler fighter transition at the same speed?
Old 01-31-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGowan
Very interesting. I'll be very keen on trying out these sliders when i get my hands on the game. Do they overwrite the fighter stats? meaning if you max out ground transition slider for both, will a 60 and a 90 grappler fighter transition at the same speed?
That's a really good question. The ground just looks more fluid with the faster transitions, I would assume the stats don't get touched if anything it's harder if you fight a grappler now but I'm not completely sure.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
MVP

Wow dude, those 2 fights looked super realistic!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AydinDubstep
Wow dude, those 2 fights looked super realistic!
The power of the sliders man! I got more fights on my channel if you want to check em out, but you guys need to try these sliders they're amazing.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthhh
The power of the sliders man! I got more fights on my channel if you want to check em out, but you guys need to try these sliders they're amazing.
Had a look, good stuff. Keep testing and let us know what you find out

What I wanna try and create is a dangerous first round that slows down into rd 2 and 3.

I think stamina recovery off could do the trick.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
Banned

holyjesus's Arena

These sliders are nice but it's rare to get a decision, and about 50% of fights end up in decisions.
Maybe turning off stamina recovery and lowering the damage a bit would do the trick.

Maxing out transition speed actually makes the game more enjoying

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »