Home

Parries: Should They Return?

This is a discussion on Parries: Should They Return? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do you want Parries back?
Yes, the mechanic/animation and the counter window 1 1.59%
Yes but only the counter window 0 0%
Yes but only the mechanic/amimation 13 20.63%
Yes but only if you can parry straight strikes. 8 12.70%
NO 41 65.08%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #89
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Parries: Should They Return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide1980
I say just leave parries out,look at the headache they're causing a just discussing them lol. Besides ,we cant agree on how they will work

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Isnt ironing out how they should work a good thing, its noy causig a headache, having discussions promote better results.
It improves the game from my perspective, which i have backed up with reason and validity being real life examples of where parrys are used and how they could affect gameplay in a positive abd realistic manner.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #90
MVP

It is a shame that the EA UFC games have soured most people on parries because of their free counter and freeze.

Parries can be implemented in a decent way. UD3 already proved this with their clinch parries which resulted in over/under or single collar all without the free counter and freeze.

EA UFC has shown it can do better with their live service. The opportunity to incorporate both types of parries is present- boxing & karate (deflection & catch) - as minor and major parries respectively.

Boxing parry- deflection

Karate parry- catch

They can start by splitting the retreating evasion into pawing (mobile and tied to grappling) and backwards sprint (adding lateral sprint too).

You can then have parries inputted through the grappling input (L2+RS). Flick for minor parry and hold for major parry.

Minor parry will deflect the strike and you can counter over it but it will be blockable. Major parry will be an improved grappling entry to whichever direction you transition to (single collar, over/under, single leg, double leg etc) which will function like a kick catch from where you can counter or transition- both deniable.

Holding the major parry input would result in:

Up: Lead arm extension (pawing/stiff arm/post etc), active block of rear hand; +L1: rear stiff arm, active block of lead hand.

Down: Lead pawing, active block or lead hand; +L1: rear pawing, active block of rear hand.

Left: Pull in; +L1: Heavy pull.

Right: Push; +L1: Heavy push.

Holding any of these inputs and getting within clinch range will initiate the clinch from that direction.

For example holding L2+R UP and getting within clinch range will get you into single collar unless denied. Holding L1+L2+R UP will result in double collar tie etc.

Doing this to someone holding block should peel through block (deniable).

With this we can reintroduce parries as they were meant to be. Since the upcoming patch is primarily grappling based, this is extremely relevant as parrying is a crucial underappreciated aspect of grappling as well.

Without the free counter and freeze the parries should work more realistically and with all that was learned from head movement. Parrying can return as another tool which has it's own pros and cons instead of how it and head movement was earlier- a lot of pros little con.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #91
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
It is a shame that the EA UFC games have soured most people on parries because of their free counter and freeze.

Parries can be implemented in a decent way. UD3 already proved this with their clinch parries which resulted in over/under or single collar all without the free counter and freeze.

EA UFC has shown it can do better with their live service. The opportunity to incorporate both types of parries is present- boxing & karate (deflection & catch) - as minor and major parries respectively.

Boxing parry- deflection

Karate parry- catch

They can start by splitting the retreating evasion into pawing (mobile and tied to grappling) and backwards sprint (adding lateral sprint too).

You can then have parries inputted through the grappling input (L2+RS). Flick for minor parry and hold for major parry.

Minor parry will deflect the strike and you can counter over it but it will be blockable. Major parry will be an improved grappling entry to whichever direction you transition to (single collar, over/under, single leg, double leg etc) which will function like a kick catch from where you can counter or transition- both deniable.

Holding the major parry input would result in:

Up: Lead arm extension (pawing/stiff arm/post etc), active block of rear hand; +L1: rear stiff arm, active block of lead hand.

Down: Lead pawing, active block or lead hand; +L1: rear pawing, active block of rear hand.

Left: Pull in; +L1: Heavy pull.

Right: Push; +L1: Heavy push.

Holding any of these inputs and getting within clinch range will initiate the clinch from that direction.

For example holding L2+R UP and getting within clinch range will get you into single collar unless denied. Holding L1+L2+R UP will result in double collar tie etc.

Doing this to someone holding block should peel through block (deniable).

With this we can reintroduce parries as they were meant to be. Since the upcoming patch is primarily grappling based, this is extremely relevant as parrying is a crucial underappreciated aspect of grappling as well.

Without the free counter and freeze the parries should work more realistically and with all that was learned from head movement. Parrying can return as another tool which has it's own pros and cons instead of how it and head movement was earlier- a lot of pros little con.
Very complex ideas here, this is beyond my understanding of the subject. The first set of gifs, up to cro cop, present my idea of parrying. That same inputs as ufc 2 are fine for that type.

The rest of the post is grest but beyond what i think they can implement in this generation and i cant really discuss that part of the topic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #92
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCB x Finlay
Very complex ideas here, this is beyond my understanding of the subject. The first set of gifs, up to cro cop, present my idea of parrying. That same inputs as ufc 2 are fine for that type.

The rest of the post is grest but beyond what i think they can implement in this generation and i cant really discuss that part of the topic.
Definitely. I think the paragraphs (minor and major parries) up to the Sean O'Malley gif are reasonably patchable given the parry mechanic already exists in the game.

The latter part is more something that can be implemented in EA UFC 4 along with things like transition based submissions.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #93
Rookie

I dont want it because I sucked at it badly

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-15-2018, 09:28 PM   #94
MVP

Here's other examples of a boxing and karate parries.

Boxing- deflection

Karate- catch
Old 05-15-2018, 09:28 PM   #95
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4Zk
I dont want it because I sucked at it badly

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Operation Sports mobile app
How and is that really your reason damb.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #96
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
Here's other examples of a boxing and karate parries.

Boxing- deflection

Karate- catch
Yeah but they are not realistic are they ahahshshhs

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »