Home

Buff Francis Ngannou

This is a discussion on Buff Francis Ngannou within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2019, 05:58 PM   #17
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Buff Francis Ngannou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRizzzle
I always care, so if you're inclined, I'd love to become more educated.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Its a process. So what happens is we obviously watch the event. For example, let say we were still doing updates and we had to do one for the Jones card this weekend. There are 11 UFC 3 fighters on that card so we watch each fight and take notes. My process is usually just noting the good and bad of how each fighter looks. For example, it will be random notes like "Rockhold: Footwork +, Clinch grapple + and Chin -".

I'll take those notes and on Sunday, I'll rewatch the fight just to make sure that i wasnt just caught up in the moment.

Sunday through Tuesday (depending on how many fighters were on the card), I'll take a look at the chart i have with all the ratings and based on my notes, I'll see where they line up. Lets say Luke has a 93 in footwork ( not the real numbers) but I think he needs a big bump based on a fight. So I look at the chart and ask myself "How big of a bump and should he be higher than all the people in front of him in this category"?

By Wednesday, I send my suggestions to the team who also watched the fights and have their own suggestions. Then we debate what the changes should be. One of the members of the team looks at it from a balance perspective (does giving Luke a 4 point buff in a certain category make him OP?). I look at it from a realism perspective. The 3rd member is kind of the tiebreaker if it ever comes to that. This back and forth can take days given that we all have other responsibilities.

Finally the changes are input into the game but only done in conjunction with an update or a patch.

So the process can take a little while. One last point is that the UFC team is smaller. Its basically a couple of folks who work for EA and me. For comparison sake, Madden has like 10 people on their team (they have more players to rate so that makes sense.). I'm not getting paid for this work and the other members of the team have other responsibilities related to the game so alot of it is finding the time to fit this all in.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:54 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 0

Aholbert32 are you consuming any mma media and breakdowns pre fight as well? I like you guys have a collective process to keep the ratings and popular impulse changes in check. I also know a lot of people who watch and are also involved with MMA don’t really watch through an analytic lens. I’m just going to recommend the “Heavy Hands” podcast with Connor Rebusch and Phil McKenzie. Always informative and insightful, these guys have great matchup breakdowns weekly, pre & post fight. Appreciate the work btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Its a process. So what happens is we obviously watch the event. For example, let say we were still doing updates and we had to do one for the Jones card this weekend. There are 11 UFC 3 fighters on that card so we watch each fight and take notes. My process is usually just noting the good and bad of how each fighter looks. For example, it will be random notes like "Rockhold: Footwork +, Clinch grapple + and Chin -".

I'll take those notes and on Sunday, I'll rewatch the fight just to make sure that i wasnt just caught up in the moment.

Sunday through Tuesday (depending on how many fighters were on the card), I'll take a look at the chart i have with all the ratings and based on my notes, I'll see where they line up. Lets say Luke has a 93 in footwork ( not the real numbers) but I think he needs a big bump based on a fight. So I look at the chart and ask myself "How big of a bump and should he be higher than all the people in front of him in this category"?

By Wednesday, I send my suggestions to the team who also watched the fights and have their own suggestions. Then we debate what the changes should be. One of the members of the team looks at it from a balance perspective (does giving Luke a 4 point buff in a certain category make him OP?). I look at it from a realism perspective. The 3rd member is kind of the tiebreaker if it ever comes to that. This back and forth can take days given that we all have other responsibilities.

Finally the changes are input into the game but only done in conjunction with an update or a patch.

So the process can take a little while. One last point is that the UFC team is smaller. Its basically a couple of folks who work for EA and me. For comparison sake, Madden has like 10 people on their team (they have more players to rate so that makes sense.). I'm not getting paid for this work and the other members of the team have other responsibilities related to the game so alot of it is finding the time to fit this all in.
If you want I can help you via MP, debating with you about the fighters skills and his performance in last fight
Old 07-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #20
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEZERO
Aholbert32 are you consuming any mma media and breakdowns pre fight as well? I like you guys have a collective process to keep the ratings and popular impulse changes in check. I also know a lot of people who watch and are also involved with MMA don’t really watch through an analytic lens. I’m just going to recommend the “Heavy Hands” podcast with Connor Rebusch and Phil McKenzie. Always informative and insightful, these guys have great matchup breakdowns weekly, pre & post fight. Appreciate the work btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I listen to Heavy Hands regularly. Been listening since Patrick Wyman was the cohost.

Prefight breakdowns dont help much with changing someones stats. Our focus is on what the fighter actually did in that fight not what they may do in a fight.

I think as a whole we are a pretty conservative group when it comes to ratings changes. Many of the suggested ratings suggestions I see here are solid but some of them are exaggerated because of the excitement of one fight. I try to avoid that.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #21
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32

I really wish i could help you guys out.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »