Home

Clinch Tips

This is a discussion on Clinch Tips within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Tips to strengthen your clinch game

So here’s a quick run down of how to strengthen your clinch game by using turns.

Basic idea: Use the left stick to turn your opponent whilst in the clinch. This is extremely useful for setting up throws, transitions, or pulling false denials out of your opponent.

Take a look at that second GIF. After attaining the over/unders, I immediately fake an underhook then turn him to my right. I then commit fully to the double underhooks, before performing two consecutive turns: one quick back step, then a left turn. At which point, I complete the slam.

What’s going on here is rhythm manipulation. Now let’s analyze that second GIF a little more deeply, step by step:

A. The very first thing I did when I entered over/under, is I faked an underhook. This is “priming” my opponent - an underhook fake almost always precedes a second underhook fake, or a hip toss. My opponent’s just waiting on some visual cue to react to. By making a sharp turn to my right, I provide him with that visual cue.

Now, whether this visual cue actually causes him to input a denial or not, isn’t so important. That would be great, of course... but what this “turn” really accomplishes, is it makes the entire situation 33% more complicated for him, by giving him 3 things to think about as opposed to 2. The rhythm is a little more confusing. In this case, it was enough for me to immediately achieve a full double underhook, unchallenged.

Another important thing to consider about this first turn, is the way I handled the exact same position earlier in the same match (see the first GIF). I found myself in the exact same position, and performed the exact same underhook fake followed by a turn. But in the first sequence, I used the turn to gain a hip toss.

So this time, after the fake and turn, I figured he’d be thinking “hip toss”, which is why I went for the underhook. I figured correctly.

So always keep those types of things in mind... if you’ve established somewhat of a rhythm in previous sequences, breaking that rhythm is always a good thing to do, and even very rudimentary, “white belt” tactics can be effective if you’re unexpectedly breaking rhythm.

B. After attaining the double underhooks, I perform a backstep, before performing a left turn. This is another means of rhythm manipulation. My opponent may be picking up on something by now: turns always precede fully committed transitions. If I was to simply turn him, then go for a slam, I probably wouldn’t have gotten it. I already got away with it twice and attempting it a third time would be reckless on my part.

So what I do here, is I break that rhythm. He anticipates a slam after a step/turn, so what do I do? I give him that little back step he’s waiting for, but then I DON’T slam. Instead, I perform another step, this time a sharp left step, before completing the slam.

My hope was that either

A) The second step would provoke a false denial, anticipating a transition/slam. Because earlier, my steps/turns always preceded a transition/slam.

B) The unexpected nature of the second step would create a “rhythm” so foreign to him, that I could simply go for a slam uncontested.

Last edited by Good Grappler; 04-14-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Re: Clinch Tips

Good attempt to find some pros in a Clinch even if they are very brief and subjective...

Honestly, Clinch is NOW the most raw and rigid element in EA UFC3 - it is almost the same as it was in EA UFC 2 (and it was rigid there):
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-attempts.html
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-fix-them.html

Your thoughts about DISBALANCING the opponent via locomotion (locomotion and turns in Clinch = Kuzushi in Tsukami Judo) is 100% RIGHT...
but it is not fueled enough by Dynamic grappling game mechanics:
- every Kuzushi must grant Grapple advantage (GA) and Momentum (restricted in time) = more Timing skill in Clinch game.

- every Counter- Kuzushi must solve his GA

BUT in Clinch UNLIKE Ground the GA must to be TWOFOLD, i.e. in some direction Moves 1P has GA, but in opposite direction Moves 2P has GA. Counter to Kuzushi and Counter to Counter (Yomi 3rd level) is the bread & butter of the Clinch / Judo.

This TWOFOLD Grappling may become an EXCLUSIVE feature for Clinch game in EA UFC 4.

Last edited by SUGATA; 06-27-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:08 AM   #3
Rookie

Once you get the over-under, can the opponent "race" you to the next transition or do you have "priority"? I noticed your opponent was waiting for your next move to try to deny it, what if he immediately goes for something? Eg double underhook, break up, slam etc.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSS
Once you get the over-under, can the opponent "race" you to the next transition or do you have "priority"? I noticed your opponent was waiting for your next move to try to deny it, what if he immediately goes for something? Eg double underhook, break up, slam etc.
Well if your opponent starts taking that approach, it just makes your job 10x easier. There is no easier transition to deny, than the transition that comes immediately after attaining a position.

As soon as I enter these positions, I’m completely ready to input a denial. As is my opponent (I’d hope).

That’s why these turns are so important (in addition to fakes). It plays on my opponents desire to input a denial.

But yeah, no skilled player should be going straight for a transition upon entering the clinch. “Racing” as you call it just sounds like a good way to end up getting denied and having grapple disadvantage.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGATA

Man that first GIF was sick.

I agree that the use of clinch locomotion in-game has parallels to real clinch tactics. I wonder what the intent was when the developers put it in the game, like how did they envision it being used?

Last edited by Good Grappler; 06-28-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #6
Pro

Please put that SENORGIF.COM gif in the game.

And it's indeed an interesting topic. I only used it to push an opponent against the fence, before thinking why I ever would bother.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »