Home

How do you deal with “volume strikers”?

This is a discussion on How do you deal with “volume strikers”? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

OVR: 0
How do you deal with “volume strikers”?

I faced a guy earlier (but this is not a rare occurrence), who picked Glover Texeira, and threw literally nonstop.

The fight only lasted 7 minutes. He landed 83 out of 170 strikes total (45 out out of 90 significant strikes). His stamina didn’t appear to be affected. I used head movement and footwork to make him miss over half his strikes, and tried counter-fighting, so I wobbled him 4 times and knocked him down twice in 7 mins.

He just kept coming forward like the Terminator. I didn’t notice exaggerated patterns in the type of strike he was throwing. I tried to work the body but his straights and hooks would track my head. I tried working in some leg kicks but he would somehow just eat them and connect with a 1-2.

What am I doing wrong OS bros?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

Re: How do you deal with “volume strikers”?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter Punch
I faced a guy earlier (but this is not a rare occurrence), who picked Glover Texeira, and threw literally nonstop.

The fight only lasted 7 minutes. He landed 83 out of 170 strikes total (45 out out of 90 significant strikes). His stamina didn’t appear to be affected. I used head movement and footwork to make him miss over half his strikes, and tried counter-fighting, so I wobbled him 4 times and knocked him down twice in 7 mins.

He just kept coming forward like the Terminator. I didn’t notice exaggerated patterns in the type of strike he was throwing. I tried to work the body but his straights and hooks would track my head. I tried working in some leg kicks but he would somehow just eat them and connect with a 1-2.

What am I doing wrong OS bros?

I swear the top guys usually seem to say use head movement, but I never time it right and just get finished. I usually just start timing hook combos and usually have better luck with that. Problem with that is those hook combos always drain your stamina more than their pressure spam if it doesn’t actually put them out

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
Rookie

Movement is #1 be creative with yours. If you have a teep, use it fairly often. when they’re a bit too close, clinch them up and either hold them there or take them down and...hold them there. another thing for when they’re very close, the 1 body 3 is a nice combo. rinse and repeat
Old 07-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #4
Rookie

Figure out what will interrupt their spam and spam it
Old 07-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoBurrito
Figure out what will interrupt their spam and spam it
!!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
EA Game Changer

MartialMind's Arena

Personally it depends on who I am using and what their move set is.

If I have a fighter with a Teep, front leg side kick, or a spinning kick to the body and the fighter can lead with a jab into these strikes... It is stupid easy to deal with most Uber aggressive players.

My goal with fighters with the moves I described above is to put up walls for the aggressive player to get through first. That's the first test. The wall is the Teep. Once they are in range, I focus on keeping them back with the Teep. Now I don't just throw the Teep randomly.. Its easy to catch. I sneak them in.

Here are my set ups.
- Stationary jab feint into forward moving Teep. I can throw this one back to back and most times the player doesn't expect it.
- Forward moving jab feint into forward moving Teep.
- Stationary Teep... Doubled up. This always works for me.

If the player is even remotely good, they'll immediately start dealing with this by recognizing the set ups and either catching it... Or using either short or long side steps to evade the Teep.

If a player is smart enough to do this... That's when I focus on body work. My goal is break down the aggressive fighter. Believe in your block. When they come in and throw a few shots, block a few and rather than go to the head, target the body with a lead hook... If you have a knee, even better. When you create a bit of space... Go back to your Teep.

You have to make it a nightmare for them to close that distance on you and when they do, they should CONSTANTLY deal with body shots. Players in this game respect stamina loss more than they respect head damage. You work their body and eat away at their stamina and most times, players will slow themselves down.

Next up is looking for patterns. Only very very very few players throw combos without a pattern. Most times, if they are an aggressive player, they are simply cycling through all the combos they know. Pay attention.

How many shots are they throwing usually? And Are they ending the combo with a round or straight strike? Pay close attention to this. Lets say you notice they are throwing 3 strikes, ending mostly with a round strike... Well just wait.

They throw their 1-2 and you sway the 3. When you sway, you can counter either with a lead Uppercut or rear uppercut and most times it is devastating.

ALOT of times players don't pay attention to what their opponent is throwing and you have to try to start doing that and then plan. You also have to try and get better at making predictions while in the fire.

If they are leading with a cross, followed by a left hook... Think about it... Most likely they will end with a cross. If they are constantly leading with a left hook... Most likely they will end with cross. If they throw a left hook, right cross, most likely they will end with another left hook.

If a player throws a bunch of straights and over commits your block... Most likely he will throw a round strike to break it completely. Plan your defense and counter accordingly.

When you think your way through a fight like this, you can start predicting what will happen and most times you will be very correct.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
Banned

When you feel yourself being backed up throw a 12 it will put you into kicking range. Also block there first strike and advanced lunged backwards. Does wonders for creating space and draining stamina. Slow them down with the clinch. Remember hook range is also clinch range. If you can touch them with your hands you can grab them.

The lunging jab should be used as well as it’s a guaranteed stun which will give you full ya and you can shoot or you can just move away. If you kinda spam it they will move their head and you can throw a single hook and make them pay.

A lunging jab or straight also gives you frame advantage for a Teep kick. The lunging strikes allow you a free kick of your choice to the head legs or body.

Don’t be afraid to kick their legs as it slaps their power. Target the body for their energy and the legs for their power. The lunging jab is the most useful but yet least utilitized tool in the game.

Someone like martial would be even more of a problem if they used these strikes more. They stop all forward movement. Can be combined into and destroy the block and body health or head health and allow you to get free takedowns
Old 07-21-2019, 05:41 AM   #8
Pro

Lunging strikes, stiff arm retreat, patient head movement, (what I mean by this is just like others have said pay attention to patterns and either sway the first strike and block the rest or block first and sway the last and counter), dipping or weaving also helps. To do this there's several ways, one is to duck and exit left or right. Another is to sway either side and duck after, so simply roll your right stick in a 90° angle. You can do this while moving if you're light on the left stick or if you simply sway first then move right after.

Ummm there's also weaving by flicking the right stick in two directions (so duck and exit or sway and duck). And then flick the left stick after. It's quick and animation wise looks dope, maybe not as effective but it looks cool lol. You can also experiment and flick your head movement stick in one direction. So example; what I like to do is i flick the right stick forward then flick the left stick right after in any direction. If you do it semi fast its basically a fast weave if you flick the left stick up or down. So in game terms you duck and then minor lunge right after.

Leg kicks leg kicks LEG KICKS.
BODY SHOTS.

I've been experimenting with this but it works much better when their stamina starts draining. So you major lunge backwards while still moving back with your left stick and strike while moving back. It actually works better than the backwards moving sway into retreat striking. So basically LB/L1 and right stick back while still moving your fighter back and punching the body or head. If they're coming forward with 1,2's major lunge back and throw a retreating jab or straight. Jab to keep at bay and straight for counters. It's all based on timing so practice in practice mode. Same goes for retreating body shots. You can do these strikes normally just by retreating, but they're more effective when you either backwards sway or major lunge back. Practice practice practice pretty much.

Oh and last one I forgot... Major lunge back into a straight, or forward moving straight. Actually any punch will do just experiment. And of course use the pivots or duck pivots or just lunge to the side when being pressured helps tremendously. That's all I got off the top of my head lol I'm sure there's lots more but you get the gist of it.

EDIT: One more I just remembered. Moving sways into lunging strikes, preferably a jab or body shot. So you flick both sticks at the same time, but you flick the left stick forward and the right stick in whatever head movement you would like to do and strike right after. I like to back sway into a lunging jab, or into a lunging body jab or body straight. Cool stuff.

Last edited by Stealthhh; 07-21-2019 at 05:54 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »