Home

Slow down the striking?

This is a discussion on Slow down the striking? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2020, 02:10 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Slow down the striking?

This is actually a novel idea. At first I thought it was ridiculous because then people could easily see everything coming as block or sway, but if you were to lower the block meter to compensate, this idea could be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AydinDubstep
It's the combos that make it feel like that. The animations played during the combos come out like someone shadowboxing the air as fast as they can, but then pack the damage of someone hitting with serious damage.

For example, Lomachenko IRL throws blitz fast combos, as does Wonderboy, but there isn't much weight transfer behind them, they're more like occupier shots used to confuse, daze and overwhelm the opponent.

In the UFC combo system, a lot of combos feel like a Wonderboy blitz, but carry the damage of a Wanderlei onslaught.

Watching Martial and others play online, there are certain combos which look ridiculously fast, like the jab teep, jab body side kick, cross rear round house, etc.

There isn't much time to transfer weight there, yet the combos are treated as if they do transfer weight.

One solution to this is to have controller input speed presses tied to combo speed output, and have it more timing based. Say someone cranks out a jab-cross-hook as fast as they can, then their fighter throws the light but fast shots we see, their hands don't return to their chin after every strike, the combo doesn't do much damage but flusters their opponent a bit and looks believeable as the hands don't travel the same distance.

However if he presses the jab cross hook allowing a bit more methodically, allowing for full extension and weight transfer, allowing the hands to come back to the chin and consequently setup the followup strike with full weight transfer, then he gains more power, sacrifices a bit of speed and throws a more powerful combo.

In both cases, it would look more believeable as in scenario 1 (fast combos), the strikes don't fully extend or come back to chin for each shot and don't carry large weight transfer, and in scenario 2 (weight transferred combos), we see their body twist and turn as each strike is given a bit more time to reset.

This would help I think solve the issue we have atm which is, 4 piece combos coming out faster than Amir Khan can blink whilst carrying the damage of prime Tyron Woodley.
Absolutely nailed it and explained what I was going for so much better. We can have quick combos, but they need to be much weaker compared to a well timed combination where the fighter has time between to sit down on the strikes with the power. Well timed inputs are the best solution. You are 100% right and describing the issue I have perfectly.

Last edited by sdpdude9; 06-27-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitfistssaipailo
Hmmm... For me I know that if I advocate for the striking being slowed down , it would be kind of be boring to me a little bit.

I however think the sweet spot is stamina , if you want to go HAM ,go ahead but in the second round fatigue should start to show signs of setting in .

I never did like the stamina mechanism in UFC 3 with the act of strikes landed on your Opponent's guard cost less stamina.

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app
The reinforce my point , I do believe that most of the times the gameplay can look like something from Mortal Kombat but Stamina is the key to the balance here .

People throw endless amount of strikes , because of the stamina mechanism .

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2020, 03:54 AM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
If the strikes were slower we could reactively sway. But I doubt theyll change that now.
Better fix would be making sways have less start up frames instead of making strikes slower.

As for OP, I disagree, lowering the strike speed would make the game feel sluggish especially at lower weight classes, I'd rather see adjustments made to defense that strike speed.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #13
Rookie

There are several issues with the striking system:

1. The stamina system is imbalanced. It favors high-volume, pressure striking and gives little respect for well-timed, accurate striking.

2. Takedowns are not intuitive or natural feeling. Forward moving pressure strikers should be far more susceptible to takedowns.

3. The controls are not responsive enough to reliably use the defensive tools available. That is why so many people use the jab-body straight combo. The delayed input simply does not allow you to respond fast enough to the combo.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
MVP

I don't think the stamina issue is necessarily related to striking, or at least striking isn't the biggest issue as far as stamina. I've gassed people out for trying to throw high volume. The problem IMO is that moving with just the left stick costs literally no stamina whatsoever. That doesn't make sense at all to me.

There's a reason very few fighters zip across the octagon like Dominick Cruz. It's tiring. But most players in this game do it all the time, and understandably, because there's no penalty.

I also think that maybe once you drop to a certain level of stamina, holding block should drain stamina. People mention this about fighting IRL all the time-- it's really hard to keep your hands up when you're tired.

Last edited by RyanFitzmagic; 07-02-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #15
MVP

Moving causing an almost imperceptible stamina decrease I’m in favor for. Any more and it would kill the experience in my opinion. However, holding block should drain long term stamina at ANY stage. But short term stamina only at 50% or so. But only with a significant increase in short term stamina pools.

It could work, but I also see both these ideas being terrible as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #16
Rookie

The whole "block breaking" aspect of this game needs to go. The block breaking system provides the incentive to find the efficient and effective strikes to break and makes all high level players fight a similar style.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »