Home

Ideas to curtail pressure

This is a discussion on Ideas to curtail pressure within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2021, 09:21 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Ideas to curtail pressure

So I've been playing alot of online lately and the pressure is insane. Most of it boils down to how strong the 1-2 combination is and no effective ways to create space besides the teep.

Jab started combos are really strong. But the jab as an intercepting single strike is very weak. So here are a few suggestions and if they're bad ones or you have better ideas share them!

1. Boost the stopping power of the jab to be in line with the straight. The jab is a poor tool for interceptions unless they're throwing kicks from boxing range.

2. Increase the speed of body shots. Its hard to use their duck evasion very well because they're so slow. And also they don't have that one hit potential off counters like most other punches

3. Increase the strength of the block. It doesn't take much skill or effort to destroy the guard.

4. Make side kicks track better against lateral movement. They're pretty much completely useless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2021, 01:51 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Ideas to curtail pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granbyroll
So I've been playing alot of online lately and the pressure is insane. Most of it boils down to how strong the 1-2 combination is and no effective ways to create space besides the teep.

Jab started combos are really strong. But the jab as an intercepting single strike is very weak. So here are a few suggestions and if they're bad ones or you have better ideas share them!

1. Boost the stopping power of the jab to be in line with the straight. The jab is a poor tool for interceptions unless they're throwing kicks from boxing range.

2. Increase the speed of body shots. Its hard to use their duck evasion very well because they're so slow. And also they don't have that one hit potential off counters like most other punches

3. Increase the strength of the block. It doesn't take much skill or effort to destroy the guard.

4. Make side kicks track better against lateral movement. They're pretty much completely useless.
1. Absolutely. The jab is nearly useless in this game to stop pressure, irl it's one of the best tools for it. I learned quickly, I tried playing more technical and Jab and move, but it's not as viable. Now I'm uppercut-hook city again to set up my TDs. Pressure wrestling.

2. People would complain about body spam, but I'm indifferent. I think it would be better to give some fighters unique body shots that dont have the built in duck, they just fire from straight up like the Diaz bros often do.

3. I want this too, but GCs don't, they dont want lateral circling either they prefer action packed pressure to defensive running evasive styles since that's what casuals and comp prefer. They instead want to weaken block but increase stamina tax. I'm fine with either.

4. I think they did this because very few people use or know about side steps which are the direct counter, So they made it track less on moving targets. I think this is a great way to reduce spam if applied to all strikes. Acc would matter a lot more.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:46 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:

Does holding block take more skill?
Old 01-09-2021, 03:07 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
Does holding block take more skill?
Well predicting high low takes skill.

What do you think about side blocking? I was for it until I saw how it works with posts in GNP. Spam would be even easier.

Unless they make it sort of a weak block. Hold l2 to block left 100$ and right 50%. Hold r2 to block right 100% and left 50%.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
Well predicting high low takes skill.

What do you think about side blocking? I was for it until I saw how it works with posts in GNP. Spam would be even easier.

Unless they make it sort of a weak block. Hold l2 to block left 100$ and right 50%. Hold r2 to block right 100% and left 50%.
My point was that just stating "it takes no skill" without any other reasoning is a pretty weak argument to change anything (In terms of whether you should buff block, obviously OP presented other ideas too).

Anyway side block doesn't make a whole lot of sense because it sounds like a worse version of current sways. I'd look into things like tracking and finish the fight GNP before blocking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:

1. Absolutely. The jab is useless as a single tool. They debuffed it hard in 3 when it really should have been buffed. Right now, the straight is your best action if you want to halt momentum. It works like the jab should work.

2. No. People can already really **** you up with body strikes and make you look foolish by using the fake body strike into sway counter uppercut. That’s just one of the many setups for body shots. There is a disconnect because you can go wild to the head, but body shots have to be planned. This is realistic. The ducking properties of the body shots should be sped up though.

3. No. No. No. Nooooo. This is an awful idea both realistically and competitively. The block is not a fighter’s main guard in MMA. You easily chew through with small gloves. People with good head movement simply do not get run down with pressure in this game. The pull uppercut is an insane weapon. If you increased the block power, you’d never get any damage off on a good player.

4. Yes. Side kicks suck right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-09-2021, 02:52 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
My point was that just stating "it takes no skill" without any other reasoning is a pretty weak argument to change anything (In terms of whether you should buff block, obviously OP presented other ideas too).

Anyway side block doesn't make a whole lot of sense because it sounds like a worse version of current sways. I'd look into things like tracking and finish the fight GNP before blocking.
All it really takes is a jab straight for free damage. And there's way more damage in this game. I feel like if your a technical player you will struggle. Trying to fight from range is incredibly difficult as its so easy to overwhelm people. The pace is way to fast and there seems to be a heavy emphasis on knockouts.

Whys it easier to block break than to get a leg kick tko? You can wobble a guys leg 40 times and there is no benefit. But break the block a couple times and its gg. I'm fine with block breaking but the tools to counter it aren't there.

Last edited by Granbyroll; 01-09-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:02 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
All it really takes is a jab straight for free damage. And there's way more damage in this game. I feel like if your a technical player you will struggle. Trying to fight from range is incredibly difficult as its so easy to overwhelm people. The pace is way to fast and there seems to be a heavy emphasis on knockouts.

Whys it easier to block break than to get a leg kick tko? You can wobble a guys leg 40 times and there is no benefit. But break the block a couple times and its gg. I'm fine with block breaking but the tools to counter it aren't there.
They absolutely are. Look at the progression from the best player in the game: Suave Jamie.

You can track his progress from the start to the now. He used to just stick on you like glue and break your block like a madman. Now that we've all discovered the slip rear hook and pull rear uppercut, you simply cannot rush someone throwing combos unless they are hurt. You will get put down. It doesn't even take that much skill to use these tools. You literally just wait for the third strike and pull uppercut. Or you move forward while throwing the slip hook to counter straight shots.

Pressure boxing is still the meta, but it isn't how it used to be anymore. You actually have to mix up your combos and work the whole body to get a good combo off on a good player.

I'm not the best player in the world anymore, but you can look at me even. I play the opposite of the meta. I use leg kicks and I generally counter strike when I'm not doing that. People like to crowd me because I kick, but if they rush in, they get bodied by the pull uppercut or I intercept with the straight punch (which is another tool that stops people dead in their tracks).

Look at Pryoxis or Romero or Martial Mind. All players that don't conform to the meta and counter strike. They are all successful. The tools are there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »