Home

Thoughts on UFC 4 as patch cycle ends.

This is a discussion on Thoughts on UFC 4 as patch cycle ends. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2021, 04:10 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Thoughts on UFC 4 as patch cycle ends.

The issue with EA sports games across the board is the lack of "organic" player models. Most if not all of the issues mentioned can be summed up to this ONE thing. I'm not a developer and will not be able to relay what I see in their language, but here goes....

The animations/movements are extremely robotic and stiff, lacking fluidity. The lumbar area in EAs player models has ZERO life. This is very noticeable in UFC and Madden. Stiff and static are the two words that keep coming to mind.

Freedom of movement seems restricted, and strikes, collisions, etc lack impact because of this as well. Its not like this hasn't been done before, as one of the earlier Fight Night/Knockout King titles had a free/loose movement system that felt amazing. Some of the older PS2 Maddens also had a prominent "shake" or shimmy in the lower spine area (you could feel it more than see it, if that makes sense) that gave the avatars a more human feel.

I've heard different terms such as inverse kinetics, etc. Whatever it is, I recommend the devs to get into the skeletal system of the avatars and loosen up the movement points. As well as focus on how the feet plant and move in relation to the hips and lower spine.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:42 PM   #10
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I've given up on the ground game ever being good, so that's whatever.

As a person who plays stand and bang, I like the majority of what UFC did in this game. HOWEVER, the range/effectiveness of knees, elbows, and spinning back fists is a huge eyesore on this game. Terrible opponents increase their odds just by choosing a good fighter and employing those tactics nonstop.

Before anyone tells me to get good, yes, I understand there's a counter for most things, and I beat the vast majority of people I play. But 9 times out of 10, when my opponent picks Max Holloway (for example) I can be certain there will be a lot of bull**** that reminds me this is a videogame. Standup can be beautiful when both opponents are attempting to employ strategy.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:41 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
The issue with EA sports games across the board is the lack of "organic" player models. Most if not all of the issues mentioned can be summed up to this ONE thing. I'm not a developer and will not be able to relay what I see in their language, but here goes....

The animations/movements are extremely robotic and stiff, lacking fluidity. The lumbar area in EAs player models has ZERO life. This is very noticeable in UFC and Madden. Stiff and static are the two words that keep coming to mind.

Freedom of movement seems restricted, and strikes, collisions, etc lack impact because of this as well. Its not like this hasn't been done before, as one of the earlier Fight Night/Knockout King titles had a free/loose movement system that felt amazing. Some of the older PS2 Maddens also had a prominent "shake" or shimmy in the lower spine area (you could feel it more than see it, if that makes sense) that gave the avatars a more human feel.

I've heard different terms such as inverse kinetics, etc. Whatever it is, I recommend the devs to get into the skeletal system of the avatars and loosen up the movement points. As well as focus on how the feet plant and move in relation to the hips and lower spine.
I don't agree at all with you. If there is one thing you can't say about UFC 3 and 4 are the animations, and the looseness it has. Seriously, the animations are lifelike because they actually used mocap. Have you seen the fighters in the over/under clinch position? The animations are mind-blowing on how real it looks. I am not refering to how it plays, but the animations are just beautiful. Also I believe UFC 3 was the first game to allow striking while moving, so I don't think anyone can claim it is limited at all. The opposite I would say, it was the first fighting game to allow such free movement.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2021, 07:45 PM   #12
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Max knows.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EASportsUFC...eb2x&context=3
Old 12-26-2021, 12:56 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
He's not admitting how bad the game is, the UFC wouldn't like it because they want the sales. He's just mentioning how OP his fighter is.

But the fact that he's twitch streaming all the time and never plays EA UFC says it all.

I remember Izzy and DJ were being asked why they don't play EA UFC 3 before 4 came out and they said it's just too slow, too clunky, too delayed for them to enjoy it. Of course we can easily understand. I can only imagine the disgust they would feel playing EA UFC 4 smh
Old 12-28-2021, 05:46 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggelosP
I don't agree at all with you. If there is one thing you can't say about UFC 3 and 4 are the animations, and the looseness it has.
People love to exaggerate, but the animations normally don't get criticized other than the - I suppose mandatory? - glitches.

In the end, the game is fine but it made a bunch of changes which is always a risk. You often damage a product more by making arbitrary changes than you 'improve' on it. And this last iteration, everyone here seems sour on one particular aspect (clinch, loss of customization options, no more stat changes for CaF's, etc.).

Last edited by Blackman316; 12-28-2021 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:02 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggelosP
I don't agree at all with you. If there is one thing you can't say about UFC 3 and 4 are the animations, and the looseness it has. Seriously, the animations are lifelike because they actually used mocap. Have you seen the fighters in the over/under clinch position? The animations are mind-blowing on how real it looks. I am not refering to how it plays, but the animations are just beautiful. Also I believe UFC 3 was the first game to allow striking while moving, so I don't think anyone can claim it is limited at all. The opposite I would say, it was the first fighting game to allow such free movement.
Yes, there's a few motion capture moments that look good every now and then, but overall the general movement around the ring is extremely stiff and clunky. Its like the players have a pole stuck up their backside, there's ZERO "swing" to the lumbar area and its very noticeable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2022, 10:26 AM   #16
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

This game is a terrible representation of the sport. It would be like if NFL fans only had NFL Blitz as an option. It’s a literal joke.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »