Home

I hate the parry so, so much

This is a discussion on I hate the parry so, so much within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #25
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I hate the parry so, so much

Parrys should be only for defense. Parrys are HUGE in hand to hand combat, but they don't open up magical counter strike windows where the opponent just stands there waiting for you to hit them...

All a parry should do is deflect a strike.

That's it.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #26
Rookie

SgtDillznick's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm curious. Did I purchase a different game from the rest of you?

Pre-patch or post-patch, I'm pretty consistent with my parrying. I don't really see the parry as a honest parry, but rather as a perfect block. I feel it's skill blocking, and it offers a risk-reward mechanic for blocking. Somebody with no hands can easily block every strike in this game by pressing block with his nose. It is that easy. That is why people come out of the damn corner with hands raised to their face like my wife waiting for the gore to start spilling in a slasher flick.

To my point: I can parry all day long and I don't see this incredible disadvantage that happens to the person who is parried. Every time I parry, without fail, my opponent goes into his "I've just been parried" animation and immediately blocks. The only advantage I see to parries is that I can interrupt a combo and I can stop a strike without turning my arms red and minimal stamina loss. That is it. I'm sorry, but I honestly am not seeing parries leading to unblocked, devastating combos.

What it does lead to is me catching 15 kicks a fight and taking people down. That's about as close as I've ever gotten to griefing in an online video game.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #27
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
Parrys should be only for defense. Parrys are HUGE in hand to hand combat, but they don't open up magical counter strike windows where the opponent just stands there waiting for you to hit them...

All a parry should do is deflect a strike.

That's it.
Exactly. It shouldn't freeze the opponent in place in order for you to land a free strike.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDillznick
I'm curious. Did I purchase a different game from the rest of you?

Pre-patch or post-patch, I'm pretty consistent with my parrying. I don't really see the parry as a honest parry, but rather as a perfect block. I feel it's skill blocking, and it offers a risk-reward mechanic for blocking. Somebody with no hands can easily block every strike in this game by pressing block with his nose. It is that easy. That is why people come out of the damn corner with hands raised to their face like my wife waiting for the gore to start spilling in a slasher flick.

To my point: I can parry all day long and I don't see this incredible disadvantage that happens to the person who is parried. Every time I parry, without fail, my opponent goes into his "I've just been parried" animation and immediately blocks. The only advantage I see to parries is that I can interrupt a combo and I can stop a strike without turning my arms red and minimal stamina loss. That is it. I'm sorry, but I honestly am not seeing parries leading to unblocked, devastating combos.

What it does lead to is me catching 15 kicks a fight and taking people down. That's about as close as I've ever gotten to griefing in an online video game.
so basically u exploit it... congrats
Old 05-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #29
Rookie

SgtDillznick's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlimo
so basically u exploit it... congrats

You and I seem to have different definitions of the word "exploit".

Creating a max height-max reach 90 overall with 252 fighter level division 1 toon is an exploit. Parries are in the game for a reason and I am using them properly. That is not an exploit.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:25 PM   #30
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

If you're parrying, and not counter striking, that's on you. No idea why your not.

Yes, you are correct though, all parry should be is a "perfect block" as you say. Unfortunately that's not all it is.. Parrys open up "counter windows" for you to get free unblockable strikes on the opponent.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #31
Rookie

SgtDillznick's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
If you're parrying, and not counter striking, that's on you. No idea why your not.

Yes, you are correct though, all parry should be is a "perfect block" as you say. Unfortunately that's not all it is.. Parrys open up "counter windows" for you to get free unblockable strikes on the opponent.

I am counter striking. It's just that the opponent's block is coming up before the strike lands. It might be a UT thing seeing as the disparity in character ratings is gigantic, especially in div 1.

But the devs obviously thought the same way that some of the people on this thread did and nerfed the parry. That's fine. It's their game. I just wish the strike interruption was a bit more predictable. At this rate, not having a max reach fighter in UT is quite difficult. Getting in the pocket and weaving and parrying is what a smaller fighter should look to do, even if it means eating a couple of teaps. But in the games current state, you have to be very lucky in order to get in and land your shots.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #32
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDillznick
I am counter striking. It's just that the opponent's block is coming up before the strike lands. It might be a UT thing seeing as the disparity in character ratings is gigantic, especially in div 1.

But the devs obviously thought the same way that some of the people on this thread did and nerfed the parry. That's fine. It's their game. I just wish the strike interruption was a bit more predictable. At this rate, not having a max reach fighter in UT is quite difficult. Getting in the pocket and weaving and parrying is what a smaller fighter should look to do, even if it means eating a couple of teaps. But in the games current state, you have to be very lucky in order to get in and land your shots.
This is due to players being able to walk backwards too fast, having no movement penalty for low stamina/ rocked states, and the nerfing of dashing strikes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »