Home

If you commit to a strike you shouldn't be able to stuff a TD

This is a discussion on If you commit to a strike you shouldn't be able to stuff a TD within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #73
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: If you commit to a strike you shouldn't be able to stuff a TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake the striker
Haz was spot on in here. To my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong, grapple disadvantage isn’t accumulated during recovery frames of a kick and it damn well should be.

For example a player who does a spinning kick, misses it and still has one leg of the ground, or a player who is doing that of-balance recovery animation from getting his heavy high kick blocked, should be at extreme grapple disadvantage during his recovery. A player that is recovering from throwing a more conservative leg strike should be at relatively less grapple disadvantage but should still be at a very, very high grapple disadvantage during their recovery.

This mechanic would be realistic and have a very useful balancing function: it punishes those who spam leg strikes and makes the game more realistic. Right now, I can block someones high/mid kick and they can still deny my take down during their recovery, even though they've just committed to a strike and have one leg of the bloody ground, its make absolute no ****ing sense.
Exactly, although it would be cool if we had Jose Aldo or BJ Penn style takedown defense hopping around on one leg.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #74
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
Come on guys. Can we just be honest with ourselves, and each other for a minute here...

Holding L2 + Back to generate some magical "Grapple Advantage" that somehow gives you the ability to shoot better takedowns, for no discernible reason, is a craaaazy goofy mechanic.

How can you be a legit MMA fan, and be like "Yeah, Takedowns are perfect right now!" with such an unrealistic, video gamey, mechanic in place?

We need to get rid of that silly system ENTIRELY. Takedowns need to be all about timing, not building up some invisible takedown meter before attempting a takedown..

----------------

As a side note, I really really wish we had Intercepting Knees in this game!
Exactly!!! Jesus man.

Why should you have to bob up and down like a idiot to score a takedown?
Old 07-26-2016, 03:10 PM   #75
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil97
There is no overall that is going to happen. If you buff takedowns anymore, it's going to be a bad bad thing as far as balance. And if you are just doing L2 + Back, you aren't getting the best bang for your buck. Wiggle wiggle wiggle. Instant takedowns will soon come your way. You will have them on the ground before the grapple meter even realized what happened.

So the ability to exploit a goofy, arcadey, mechanic, and score instant takedowns is balanced?

I'm a ground guy. I want the fight on the ground. I just think this system is extremely goofy.

Oh well.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #76
EA Game Changer

ZHunter1990's Arena

Quote:
Come on guys. Can we just be honest with ourselves, and each other for a minute here...

Holding L2 + Back to generate some magical "Grapple Advantage" that somehow gives you the ability to shoot better takedowns, for no discernible reason, is a craaaazy goofy mechanic.

How can you be a legit MMA fan, and be like "Yeah, Takedowns are perfect right now!" with such an unrealistic, video gamey, mechanic in place?

We need to get rid of that silly system ENTIRELY. Takedowns need to be all about timing, not building up some invisible takedown meter before attempting a takedown..

----------------

As a side note, I really really wish we had Intercepting Knees in this game!
It is actually L2 and forward,

I feel the need to chime in here as I am partly responsible for the mechanic working this way.

If you have spent any time doing/watching BJJ or wrestling you will notice that they keep a very low base and head leaned forward. This is because the level change for a takedown is much less telegraphed when you are already halfway there, it's also much easier to sprawl in this position as well.

Of course this isn't wrestling or BJJ so fighters dont generally run around in the same stance however, this stance is masked in MMA often by wrestlers by throwing ducking overhands and weaving under punches(Edgar and Mendes do this well)

Think about the takedown as having two parts, setting up the takedown and execution.

You mention "building up an invisible takedown meter" but dont realize that this same concept was in UFC1 you just didnt realize it. When someone threw a kick, they had less time to deny the takedown. Same exact concept but without the meter showing.

The GA makes it possible to scale takedown difficulty and timing takedowns. As opposed to having one flat timing window for takedowns.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #77
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Higher percentage takedowns when the opponent is throwing a kick makes sense.

Swaying 3 strikes in a row, building up an invisible grapple meter, and scoring an auto takedown - thanks to your magic "Grapple Advantage", does not make sense.

That's not a representation of level changing at all.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 07-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #78
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHunter1990
It is actually L2 and forward,

I feel the need to chime in here as I am partly responsible for the mechanic working this way.

If you have spent any time doing/watching BJJ or wrestling you will notice that they keep a very low base and head leaned forward. This is because the level change for a takedown is much less telegraphed when you are already halfway there, it's also much easier to sprawl in this position as well.

Of course this isn't wrestling or BJJ so fighters dont generally run around in the same stance however, this stance is masked in MMA often by wrestlers by throwing ducking overhands and weaving under punches(Edgar and Mendes do this well)

Think about the takedown as having two parts, setting up the takedown and execution.

You mention "building up an invisible takedown meter" but dont realize that this same concept was in UFC1 you just didnt realize it. When someone threw a kick, they had less time to deny the takedown. Same exact concept but without the meter showing.

The GA makes it possible to scale takedown difficulty and timing takedowns. As opposed to having one flat timing window for takedowns.
In EA UFC 1 if you threw a kick all you had to do was hold the R2 and down soon as you kicked and they were never going to get you down.

The machinic is wacky whether or not you were trying to emulate real life.

You never see guys stand stil, bob there heads back and forth while getting punched, to attain a takedown.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #79
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

Grapple Advantage isn't working.

Its not good for this game and doesn't represent MMA realistically.

I mean look at all the baby punches Daniel Cormier landed on anderson silva the other weekend, by this games logic he should have been able to transition to full guard no problem and KO Anderson with 3 punches.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #80
EA Game Changer

ZHunter1990's Arena

Quote:
Higher percentage takedowns when the opponent is throwing a kick makes sense.

Swaying 3 strikes in a row, building up an invisible grapple meter, and scoring an auto takedown - thanks to your magic "Grapple Advantage", does not make sense.

That's not a representation of level changing at all.
There are no auto takedowns, you always have at least a small chance to stop takedowns.

Shouldn't making someone miss a strike(s) make takedowns easier? Have you never seen wrestlers do this in MMA?

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »