Home

CATCH PUNCH into Clinch by Parry for EA UFC 3

This is a discussion on CATCH PUNCH into Clinch by Parry for EA UFC 3 within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #17
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: CATCH PUNCH for Parries for EA UFC 3

I'm hoping they use movement in the clinch more this next game. Maybe the strike catch could be a move. That should help. Give it to the top grapplers. Something to help differentiate the styles.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #18
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
Than go play undisputed. So people thought they weren't balanced, but they were because fish says so?

To be honest I'm tired of hearing how great the old UFC games were, people have been bringing it up since first ea UFC game.

If the old games were so great then just play those. This is EA UFC.

People just like to eat member berries.
Thing is sadly until they surpass that game, you will continue to hear about them. I'm hoping to god that they finally surpass UD3 with this next game. As far as the topic goes with catching strikes into clinch like UD3, I don't think including that would be a good idea imo.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #19
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
Thing is sadly until they surpass that game, you will continue to hear about them. I'm hoping to god that they finally surpass UD3 with this next game. As far as the topic goes with catching strikes into clinch like UD3, I don't think including that would be a good idea imo.
Why you dont want to get and play in MORE REALISTIC, more simulation EA UFC 3, which contain true tolife balanced Clinch and Clinch entries by "Catch punch into Clinch"?
Why you want to play fabricated arcadish MMA game? I am sure, you dont want.

And btw make that different style fighters' parry leads to different type Clinch position via "Catch punch"/deflect:
- MuayThai into MT clinch
- Judokas into Over Under/DU
etc
Based on each fighter's attributes, perks and BALANCE.
This will increase personality between fighters and diverse the gameplay!

Sambo: deflect punch into grab/clunch and throw/TD:

Last edited by SUGATA; 03-18-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #20
EA Game Changer

MartialMind's Arena

I agree with everyone here that isn't a fan of the "Punch catch into clinch" idea.

Yes this mechanic was a thing in UD3 and i wasn't a fan of it, but it wasn't much of an issue because players simply didn't use it often enough and when they did, i was able to use strike cancels to make them whiff and punish them.

Your idea also raises a few questions that surrounds realism.

Yes in real life, it is very possible to catch a punch into a clinch, we've seen that a few times, but with your idea, will it be possible to catch every single type of punch? Jabs, straights, hooks, uppercuts, overhands? What about superman punches, spinning back fists? What about lunging punches? Can all these punches be caught?

Second question: Should every fighter be able to do this? Should any Featherweight be able to catch a straight left by Conor?

The thing is, we just don't see this in MMA often enough to warrant adding it to the game. I remember Ronda doing it against Holly and Fabricio doing it against Cain, but i can't think of any other instances and i've been thinking. Even if i could find 10 instances, that's not nearly enough to warrant it being added. It's just not something MMA fighters do.

I would love a more natural way to end up in the clinch, but catching punches Aikido style in my opinion is not the way.

Another part of this is the A.I.

Knowing EA, the A.I on the highest difficulty will simply become a punch catching god. I am almost certain of this. Give EA a mechanic like this and the A.I will torment you with it. You won't be able to land a thing. They will just catch every punch into the clinch and that will set offline play back tremendously.

I'm not a fan of it.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #21
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartialMind
I agree with everyone here that isn't a fan of the "Punch catch into clinch" idea.

Yes this mechanic was a thing in UD3 and i wasn't a fan of it, but it wasn't much of an issue because players simply didn't use it often enough and when they did, i was able to use strike cancels to make them whiff and punish them.

Your idea also raises a few questions that surrounds realism.

Yes in real life, it is very possible to catch a punch into a clinch, we've seen that a few times, but with your idea, will it be possible to catch every single type of punch? Jabs, straights, hooks, uppercuts, overhands? What about superman punches, spinning back fists? What about lunging punches? Can all these punches be caught?
1) I uses often Counter grapple strike (catch punch/kick) with judoka Akiyama in UFC UD. Many my friends used it too.

Solution to this counter grapple - getting hit during it deals massive additional dmg = high risk/high reward

2) Now in UFC 2 Jumping kicks like Flying knee and Full spinning kicks ARE NOT catchable (the same evade will be as when no catching kick conditions - full stamina)
The answer to yr 1st question - the same as we have w kicks now: Jumping punches and full spinning L1 punches are not catchable (only the same evade).

Quote:
Second question: Should every fighter be able to do this? Should any Featherweight be able to catch a straight left by Conor?
Now every fighter can Catch kick.
I think the same for Catch punch (every fighter can), but as i said above into different types of Clinches based on their fighting style.

Quote:
The thing is, we just don't see this in MMA often enough to warrant adding it to the game. I remember Ronda doing it against Holly and Fabricio doing it against Cain, but i can't think of any other instances and i've been thinking. Even if i could find 10 instances, that's not nearly enough to warrant it being added. It's just not something MMA fighters do.
I think this is common enough to be implemented: sway/deflect opponent strike into clinch is a common way to clinch in boxing and MT for example; in MT also possible with additional knee strike.

Quote:
Knowing EA, the A.I on the highest difficulty will simply become a punch catching god. I am almost certain of this. Give EA a mechanic like this and the A.I will torment you with it. You won't be able to land a thing. They will just catch every punch into the clinch and that will set offline play back tremendously.
AI in UFC 2 is a deny god also on ground... so, we need to remove Dynamic grappling mechanics? of course, no.
Again, search/cure for the reason not for results.

AI is very vulnerable to feints, so based on written above "Ways to solve Catch punches in UFC 3" this will be an excellent weapon for this.

I am sure, Catch punch into clinch - is a must have feature for UFC 3:
- to buff judo
- to solve short vs long reach fighters as one part of the solution
- to prevent mindless spams
- to increase diversity in striking game (use Uncatchable strikes to not to be catched)
- more mindgame and yomi (using feints and mix ups to put the parring opponnt into a trap)
- etc.

Last edited by SUGATA; 03-18-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2017, 11:58 PM   #22
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Re: CATCH PUNCH into Clinch by Parry for EA UFC 3

sugata, don't take this the wrong way but it's happened so few times. not every idea is great one. for the most part judo isn't so fantastic for mma, just ask Rousey

clinch blows.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:58 AM   #23
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
sugata, don't take this the wrong way but it's happened so few times. not every idea is great one. for the most part judo isn't so fantastic for mma, just ask Rousey

clinch blows.
Again, I name it CATCH punch only because we have Catch kick name.
This is not a real CATCHING (holding hand) punch as we see on MM' gif.
It is more a _DEFLECTION_ of the opponent's hand and going to Clinch.
May be I was needed to name it "Parry punch into Clinch".
And as I said this is very common thing irl.
And this happened in MMA too.
So we need to add this if we want to get SIM game > and of curse it must to be balanced with +/- to not become abused and too common (how to do it i wrote above)
And b/c of required catching conditions it will not be often.

Last edited by SUGATA; 03-19-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #24
Rookie

Love the idea of catching strikes and catching strikes to get into the clinch , if this does make it into the game I just hope there are no catch spammers lol but love this idea.

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »