Home

EA Sports UFC 3 Impressions

This is a discussion on EA Sports UFC 3 Impressions within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2018, 07:29 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports UFC 3 Impressions

Can I suggest that people don't cry for nerfs or buffs on a very small amount of play time? Like, give it a week or two and if you're still having problems doing something or preventing something, then ask for nerfs or buffs.

Expecting things to work as they did in 2 will probably be an issue for a while, try not to demand the devs undo a bunch of changes before we fully understand them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #26
Pro

Overall I have a positive impression. Some thoughts:

CAREER
+: Career mode presentation, the training clothes and gyms look authentic, rival system
- : No data about your record or type of finishes (only the number of KO's & subs are tracked); you can't keep track of other UFC events or who's next for the title, it's all just tunnel vision and focused on you.

I put it on "pro" and got submitted twice to become 1-2. I was hoping to get in TUF eventually but after going 3-2 I was immediately invited to the UFC? All you need is back to back wins. They told me I "dominated" the local scene yet I had to scramble to win these... I hardly believe that record is going to get you anywhere near the UFC unless you're a WWE guy. So how bad do you have to suck to take the TUF road? It was not optional and imo it should be.

To recap the structure: career is divided into chapters. At the end of each chapter you will fight a rival. You can't pick your rival and whatever you reply on social media doesn't make much different (maybe in amount of fans gained?), so the announced "player choice" is really just limited to gym and moves you gain or train. The further you get, the more top tier fighters will want to teach you the best moves. This happens through minigames that are more specific and fun than the grind ones in 2.

New mode: Submission showdown is awesome! They just disabled all the striking and it's a 3-minute round where you try to submit your opponent. If it goes the distance there's a tie-breaker where you take turns (winner of the round goes first) trying to finish a submission. It's very fun. Too bad there's no second or third round before the tiebreaker. But great that they put this in. Can we dream about a 30-minute "submission ironman" style fight like in the WWE games?

CaF
Like I said before, nothing has changed apart from being able to assign a fighter-specific stance, but that's another feature.

UT
If you didn't do the open beta for LW's: there's some SP challenges, instead of collecting worthless fight cards per you now have to collect real usable 'gold' fighters. You assign moves based on affinity with the card stats. It's no longer exclusively for HW, for instance, and you can use everything you pull. It's often fighters though. Don't sell all your cards: you have to trade them in for coins. Not sure where it's going, but I'm not going to play this much anyway.

Stability
There are still some bugs:
- In the Submission Showdown minigame it's announced you won "20 seconds into R1" if you finished the sub but R1 has passed already and you're in tiebreaker.
- Takedowns are sometimes awkward. I never had trouble initiating them in 2 and the controls haven't changed. Could be me though.
- There's an alternative button mash submission game that seems a LOT easier against AI (in my short experience) than the other one. I tried different escape strategies and just got denied by AI no matter what I did. Impossible to escape (wasn't even close) and that with equal stamina and better sub skills.
- There were some other minor things that I forgot. Sorry.

It's definitely in a playable state. I had a lot of fun already. But be prepared to "get gut" at submission denial because as soon as the AI grabs you, you're done.

Last edited by Blackman316; 01-25-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman316
- There's an alternative button mash submission game that seems a LOT easier against AI (in my short experience) than the other one. I tried different escape strategies and just got denied by AI no matter what I did. Impossible to escape (wasn't even close) and that with equal stamina and better sub skills.
Nice to hear. I tried that system during the beta (because I really hate the gate submission system) and it seemed impossible to submit the AI even on normal diff. and a very hurt opponent.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #28
Pro

LarsP's Arena

Quote:
Overall I have a positive impression. Some thoughts:

CAREER
+: Career mode presentation, the training clothes and gyms look authentic, rival system
- : No data about your record or type of finishes (only the number of KO's & subs are tracked); you can't keep track of other UFC events or who's next for the title, it's all just tunnel vision and focused on you.

I put it on "pro" and got submitted twice to become 1-2. I was hoping to get in TUF eventually but after going 3-2 I was immediately invited to the UFC? All you need is back to back wins. They told me I "dominated" the local scene yet I had to scramble to win these... I hardly believe that record is going to get you anywhere near the UFC unless you're a WWE guy. So how bad do you have to suck to take the TUF road? It was not optional and imo it should be.

To recap the structure: career is divided into chapters. At the end of each chapter you will fight a rival. You can't pick your rival and whatever you reply on social media doesn't make much different (maybe in amount of fans gained?), so the announced "player choice" is really just limited to gym and moves you gain or train. The further you get, the more top tier fighters will want to teach you the best moves. This happens through minigames that are more specific and fun than the grind ones in 2.
Was really excited about career mode this year, but this is lowering my excitement a bit. The way you put it, it seems you don't have much control over what happens.

No data about your record is a real bummer, is there a way you can see scheduled events that you are not a part of?
Old 01-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #29
Pro

polyduster's Arena

Quote:
you can't keep track of other UFC events or who's next for the title, it's all just tunnel vision and focused on you.
This is what I was afraid of.

At least in UFC 2, you could see what was happening in other UFC events. I was really hoping the career mode would hold me over without having to break out Excel and start my own Universe Mode.

Still excited to play the game next Tuesday, but I'm definitely a little less pumped up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #30
Rookie

Dzarek's Arena

Quote:
You can't pick your rival and whatever you reply on social media doesn't make much different (maybe in amount of fans gained?)
Omg.I think that this will be a lot of fun but this is scirpted crap.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #31
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95
Anyone have any tips on getting a preorder discount? It's £60 digitally and I want the digital version. £60 seems pretty insane. Not sure where to put this so thought I'd ask here. I'm on PS4.
Hey dude,

First thing, have a look at the store and check, there's apparently a 10% off sale going on across all PS4 games. Not sure if this was US or UK but might apply for this game too?

Second, top up your balance by buying PSN gift cards. They usually are a few quid cheaper than putting the money directly into your account. Google should come up with some results. Buy like a £50 card and a £10 card or something and it might come to £55 instead of £60.

Might save you a few quid and you'll have some money left over in your wallet for future purchases.

G2Play has a few network cards. Their £30 costs you £27.14. 2 of those I think is £54.28. You could find a better deal perhaps if you look around on Google?

If you feel risky, you could buy it from the US store BUT first you would have to setup your PS4 all over again with a NEW US PS4 account. Then do the same thing with the card BUT buy US version. This would overall cost you around £40 or so from what I found out yesterday.

However, it's risky as fudge.

I did it for EA UFC 2 to get the game early which was cool but I'm stuck with an American account, makes buying anything through the PSN store headache as I have to get a voucher each time.

This time round, I'm taking Amazon's offer, £47, and I got a £5 for installing Amazon app & a further £5 for topping up with £50 gift card balance which brings the total down to £37 which is a happy price for me

There's an amazon deal on at the moment but doesn't work for this game BIGTHANKS

Edit: if someone you can get a further discount by owning EA UFC 2, then further discounts await you.

Last edited by AydinDubstep; 01-25-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #32
Rookie

Career Mode

Pros - Different AI Styles, Difficultly is high, Varied Gym selection, Presentation/cinematics, Longevity Meter is a lot better, Judging scoring is a lot better.

Cons - Lack of immersion in the actual UFC world/other fight cards/fight stats/who's on your card (e.g - 4 fights in Francis Ngan has already dropped out of top 15 and is NR with no real back story, same situation with Tony Ferguson) A little scripted needs more freedom added. Rival fights lock you into a sequence of fights no matter what the results (e.g 5 fight contract - break into top 5 - say I lose 4 then fight #5 ranked guy on last contract anyway for top in top 5 makes all previous fights pointless)

Suggestions for Future Career -

Add pre recorded First names so buffer can string a name together when calling results and not just calling by nickname or last name.

Add interactive press conferences to at least rival fights which affect the hype or effect opponents ratings rather than tweet the same thing over and over.

Add interactive post fight interviews with the ability to comment on performance and/or call out next rival, ask for rematches, title shots etc..

Add interactive contract/next fight negotiations with Dana and Sean. (Similar to Fifa transfer negotiations)
Add more things to spend money on e.g - Nutritional coaches for better weight cut/stamina, marketing costs for better fight hype etc.. so negotiations for the best money possible is key.

Add community CAF Fighter Share and ability to import say 15-20 into career (similar to fight night legacy) would solve a lot of roster problems.

Add calendar to career mode and ability to see other fight cards what are the best cards to be on money wise ect.. (pretty much the already built in with event mode but put into career say (2 x cards per month 1 x PPV and 1x fox)

Overall- better than previous career mode, more depth but room for more.

Personal preference would be to add more and more depth to career next time around as well, rather than per say a one dimensional-one play through journey type mode.

Gameplay -

Pros - A lot better footwork/movement. Judging is better, Varied AI much better (as stated above) Grappling gates are a lot faster so flow slightly better (but still room for improvements) Striking is obviously better.
Better stamina system, better damage system

Cons - Striking can feel a little janky/stiff at times when in close, along with take downs.
KOs don't seem to have many if any rag dolls that I've seen as of yet but early days.

Suggestions- Add more varied Hooks and Overhands. More flow with take downs (e.g hitting some one coming in for a take down feels awkward)

Misc -

Roster needs a few more current fighters but not a massive concern as I'm sure will come in future patches.

Fix EA gameface it's still broken.....

All in all a much better game than UFC 2 definitely worth the buy and step in the right direction, thanks to everyone that worked on the game, hopefully the series will continue to get better in the future but I don't think it's quite time to call Dos Antos and break out the red panties, just yet....

Last edited by FeelDeeds; 01-26-2018 at 03:23 PM. Reason: New findings

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »