Home

The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult.

This is a discussion on The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2018, 04:49 AM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult.

My issue with the combos largely stems from the lack of fluidity while moving vs being stationary. This is not just about the speed of strikes, but the head movement as well.

Strikes are not only faster while standing, but combos are much easier to pull off with fluidity as well due to the affect the shorter animations have on frame-data.

Combos have to be queued in a particular way and anything that disrupts that flow can prevent the combo from coming out effectively or strikes get skipped etc.

For example, throw a rear uppercut while standing (it's pretty nice yeah?), then throw it as you move forward and you'll notice the speed is essentially halved.

This goes for head movement too.

This can sometimes make it difficult to punish an opponent who is ducking as you'll pretty much have to be standing and within uppercut range to land an effective uppercut.

Head movement while moving is essentially like the UFC 1 head movement, flick to sway before returning to original position and you can only sway forward, back, left or right.

Head movement while stationary gives you much more dynamic head movement (much like UFC 2s), not sure if it's quite omni-directional but you can at least hold and slide the right stick for more freedom of movement.

A lot of people use this style of head movement for their counter game as it's faster and more responsive.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:40 AM   #58
Rookie

Re: The Complex Combos. People Aren't Using Them. I Think They're Too Difficult.

I think very few or none at all should have 4+ hit combos to the head. Even 3 is pushing it for most of the fighters.

DC is literally Mike Tyson with how fast, powerful and long his combos are. It's ridiculous because DC rarely ever hurts people standing, but now he throws hooks and uppercuts like Mike Tyson

Also do combos have reduced stamina cost? I went against a Mcgregor (and this isn't a complaint because he was bad and I KO'd him R1) who was spamming 4 hit combos, backing up and repeating. He was losing no stamina and I don't mean his permanent stamina. I started eyeing his stamina to counter when it's low for an easy KO, but blocked/whiffed 4 hit combo was taking maybe like 25% off his temporary stamina
Old 02-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #59
Pro

MeowingForVengeance's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehFlame
Also do combos have reduced stamina cost? I went against a Mcgregor (and this isn't a complaint because he was bad and I KO'd him R1) who was spamming 4 hit combos, backing up and repeating. He was losing no stamina and I don't mean his permanent stamina. I started eyeing his stamina to counter when it's low for an easy KO, but blocked/whiffed 4 hit combo was taking maybe like 25% off his temporary stamina
Yes. Earlier GPD suggested to play the AI on Legendary to see the utility of long combos. If you do, you'll see that part of that utility is being able to throw out a ridiculous amount of strikes and lose almost no stamina.

If you're not using your fighter's combos, you're suffering a major stamina penalty. So if you're like me and just want to throw what you want instead of memorizing Tekken combos in practice mode, you're handicapping yourself.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:14 AM   #60
Rookie

Combos requires a quick press of input
But we PS4 only 30FPS
Seriously slow, resulting in the input time difference, quite difficult to complete
Maybe 60FPS will have better operation
But only in the PRO

maybe the development team only focus on 60FPS version
normal version just try lock to 30FPS
Old 02-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #61
Banned

60 percent of the combos require you to be stationary
The sway speed up wins everytime

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #62
Rookie

We need someone who can do these combos. Video link anybody?
Old 02-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #63
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowingForVengeance
Yes. Earlier GPD suggested to play the AI on Legendary to see the utility of long combos. If you do, you'll see that part of that utility is being able to throw out a ridiculous amount of strikes and lose almost no stamina.

If you're not using your fighter's combos, you're suffering a major stamina penalty. So if you're like me and just want to throw what you want instead of memorizing Tekken combos in practice mode, you're handicapping yourself.
I hate the "Tekken combo" comparison that people use.

One, in Tekken, if you dont input the combo....the fighter doesnt implement the move at all. In UFC 3, the only difference is that the combo comes out faster and smoother. Every fighter can throw a jab-jab-straight body kick even if the move isnt in their combo list. It just flows better with people who do.

Two in Tekken, you are inputting buttons for moves that dont exist in real life and some dont work as a singular move only in a combo. Thats not the case with UFC 3. You want to throw a mixup of hooks to the head and body....you already know how to do it. Its not some special combo. Its the same inputs you would use to throw hooks and body hooks singularly.

The only memorization is really "Does my fighter have this combo"? Thats it and most of the time you can assume they do simply based on their move level and combo set.

The stamina thing is a whole other issue. I think it needs to be more severe but I get why it isnt. I also think there is a divide between people who believe thatt simply throwing strikes should make you lose stamina versus those who believe that significant stamina loss should mostly come from you causing misses using active defense (not just blocking) and you damaging your opponent.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #64
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I hate the "Tekken combo" comparison that people use.

One, in Tekken, if you dont input the combo....the fighter doesnt implement the move at all. In UFC 3, the only difference is that the combo comes out faster and smoother. Every fighter can throw a jab-jab-straight body kick even if the move isnt in their combo list. It just flows better with people who do.

Two in Tekken, you are inputting buttons for moves that dont exist in real life and some dont work as a singular move only in a combo. Thats not the case with UFC 3. You want to throw a mixup of hooks to the head and body....you already know how to do it. Its not some special combo. Its the same inputs you would use to throw hooks and body hooks singularly.

The only memorization is really "Does my fighter have this combo"? Thats it and most of the time you can assume they do simply based on their move level and combo set.

The stamina thing is a whole other issue. I think it needs to be more severe but I get why it isnt. I also think there is a divide between people who believe thatt simply throwing strikes should make you lose stamina versus those who believe that significant stamina loss should mostly come from you causing misses using active defense (not just blocking) and you damaging your opponent.
The MK and Tekken comparison has always been hilarious. There's no quarter circles on the D-pad, there's no 8 frame windows to cancel things into other things, there's no juggling and the combos have way fewer inputs even at their longest. I'm more experienced with MK, so I'm going to throw out a Cyrax combo.

A pretty standard Cyrax combo would be forward triangle square, down back square R2, forward forward (dash), Circle, back forward square, down down triangle, forward (step), circle, down back triangle, back back (dash), circle, down down triangle, jump back X, back triangle, circle, down back circle.

That's one combo with 35 inputs for one character (the other cyborgs share some strings, but they have different uses) that don't apply to anything else in the game. UFC 3 isn't even approaching that IMO and it's a bizarre comparison to make.

Anyway, that's that tangent done.

Last edited by Nugget7211; 02-26-2018 at 11:10 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »