Home

Adding a button press to catching kicks?

This is a discussion on Adding a button press to catching kicks? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Adding a button press to catching kicks?

or maybe if you hold high block the takedown advances them into a better position or gives you a stamina drain when you hit the mat.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #10
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJamesKraus
The kick catch has been patched??

I haven’t experienced it at all since the patch.

Yes, I’ve had kicks caught but I don’t think it is as bad and as easy as it was. If you set kicks up now you can punish someone. I think the balance is fine atm.
My big issue is that against elite competition --- you either land the kick, or they catch it and punish you badly. Seems to rarely be a 'block' --- either it lands or they catch it.

I can land 8 body kicks in a 3-round fight and it will help me win. But they just need to catch the other 2 kicks (out of 10) and they can change the fight very significantly.

that's an 8:2 (4:1) ratio

So you can land 4 out of 5 body kicks.....and MAYBE you will break even........that's rough.

If even one of those two kicks turned into a Block instead of a Catch it would make all the difference.

I'm OK with keeping the body kick catch window the same --- IF --- body kick damage is boosted 25%
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch

Last edited by Boiler569; 03-08-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #11
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler569
I see where you're coming from for sure

IMO though I think the catch window should just be shortened slightly; and damage from body kicks increased slightly

If you are 'good' at defending body kicks you should mostly be blocking them, not catching them.

At this point I either land a body kick or it's caught. It's almost never just blocked. I thnk a blocked body kick should be easier/more common than a caught kick.

It'd be cool if your block skill was associated with your ability to catch kicks --- lower block skill = less chance to catch
I agree with what you're saying about mostly blocking them, and I like your idea a lot. That could probably go a long way towards cleaning it up a bit.

My thinking behind the thread was just due to seeing kicks caught at such a high rate in this game. I figure if they're going to be getting caught anyway, at least make it where the person has to intentionally go for it. With the parries it was problematic because you could do that all fight and the risk was minimal. I don't think a similar mechanic with kicks would be as problematic, but who knows.

I like Manliest's thoughts as well.

To be clear, in no way do I think that this is nearly the problem that parries were, but it can look kind of weird at times where you're rocking each other back and forth due to it. I figure there's probably some solution to make it look a little better because you don't see kicks caught at this rate in real fights.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2018, 02:22 AM   #12
VideoGame PseudoScientist

Generative James's Arena

I wish this whole situation could be developed more.

I'd like something where the attacker (who caught the kick) has like 4 options. A punch to the head, a punch to the body and takedowns in a couple different directions, all of which could be defended with the correct block or a denial in the correct direction.

Then we'd see some variety. Right now, it always plays out the same. I'm shocked if a caught kick ends in anything but a punch to the head, usually rock inducing.

But if the position can't be developed more, or even if it can, I'd like to see it require a button or something more than just blocking to actually catch the kick in the 1st place. The risk reward ratio is currently off.

Youtube:Generative James's Games's
Helpful EA UFC 2&3 info with No Commercials!!!
Old 03-09-2018, 02:50 AM   #13
Rookie

I catch almost every body kick thrown at me, it’s beautiful because I get a free takedown, I think the catch window needs to be a bit smaller and if the opponents legs caught they should be able to roll out, I believe I’ve seen Ferg do it before not positive tho.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:16 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
Like the old parries? So adding a kick button? I wouldn't mind.

I wish we could block the free shot and there would be a block meter depletion so after the 3rd or 4th caught kick that counter would break the block.

Too over convoluted. Blocking a punch with little gloves from someone who has your leg caught is almost impossible to pull off.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #15
Just started!

Would going back to the UFC 2 blocking layout for high and low block while using the current 2 button body blocking layout for catching kicks possibly be a remedy for this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #16
Banned

Nobody throws more than 6 kicks to the body a round
Kick catch is perfect
Throw a punch if you don't wanna be countered

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »