Home

Jab uppercut lead hook

This is a discussion on Jab uppercut lead hook within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2018, 02:07 AM   #17
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Jab uppercut lead hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCBlackbelt
Watching Martial’s last video reminded me of one of the issues in this game that I’m not fond of. That’s the jab, uppercut, lead hook combo. I also call this the “blast combo”. It’s a combo in almost everyone’s boxing arsenal including my own, dealing massive damage at great speed. It also has a good chance of knocking opponents down as an uppercut leads clean into a lead hook.

To note immediately, i dont think that this combination is unbeatable or anything and am not having trouble beating it- thats not what this is about. , i consider myself a good striker who faces top 10 guys like Preunited, swiss, goat, papadoc, unibot, romero, etc regularly.

My issue with it is how effective it is compared to where it should be in reality.I feel that the blast combo basically beats any boxing strike except for a better timed blast. You will see guys throw a Body kick and then fire a blast before you can respond correctly with an ordinary strike.

The primary issue is the uppercut. The jab uppercut doesnt really work that way in practice. An uppercut should on average lose to a hook because throwing a strike at an upward trajectory sacrifices speed due to gravity. Its a situational strike for guard breaking, attacking shorter opponents and people who have a tendency to drop low such as ducking and takedowns/tdd. Throwing multiple hooks is a more realistic blast and should replace the current version.
I've faced you before? What's your PSN? But yeah, great post!
Old 06-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
Everyone is so caught up in exchanging this combo and who can get it off first.

There are multiple ways to deal with it:

1. Fire it back making sure either you get yours off first (you need to be much earlier if you have a significant speed disadvantage) or they have lower health than you. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking just because they threw their 1-6-3 first, they will get the damage. All the while they have near blinking head health and they end up getting clobbered despite landing their full combo first.

2. Use a faster combo. Seriously. Everyone harps on this one cause it's a huge damage dealer, but the 1-3-4 is a slightly faster combo that can interrupt theirs and has similar power. I haven't extensively tested the 1-2-3 in pocket scenarios, but if you fire that one as they are coming in with the "blast" combo, you will stop them entirely and likely put them down. 1212 is the same way.

3. Stop engaging with these guys directly. Use the movement changes; stationary major backsway after the jab or uppercut (you can use the moving major backsway, but you're likely to get hit if not timed perfectly). Use the advance back lunge. Make them come forward so they lose their momentum and speed by backing up and hit them with jabs. My favorite is to bait the attack and hit a quick 1-3 while backing up or standing still if I have some advantages lined up.

The only time I ever get hurt by this combo is when I stubbornly try to stay in the pocket when I shouldn't or if I get timed really well (meaning any combo would've likely ended me).

The overhand is much more of an overpowered oversight than this.
It is a great shame that this is the direction EA UFC 3 has taken. Reading posts like this make me feel like we are playing mortal kombat.

I want an mma game. Let me throw a combo of strikes that are appropriate based on the moment. It is super f-ing corny to read people say "oh use combo xxx because it is so much faster." SMDH ... could you imaging if fight night champion took this approach?
Old 06-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Clarke1
It is a great shame that this is the direction EA UFC 3 has taken. Reading posts like this make me feel like we are playing mortal kombat.

I want an mma game. Let me throw a combo of strikes that are appropriate based on the moment. It is super f-ing corny to read people say "oh use combo xxx because it is so much faster." SMDH ... could you imaging if fight night champion took this approach?

What you are criticizing is what you are actually advocating for.

The combo you want to throw (1-3 in this case) is the combo appropriate for the moment (against a 1-6-3). Not only does it make sense mechanically and destroy your entire post, it makes sense realistically, as a lead hook is faster than a rear uppercut.

If we were in any other context, I would expect my post to enlighten you, but I look forward to you inevitably doubling down on nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
What you are criticizing is what you are actually advocating for.

The combo you want to throw (1-3 in this case) is the combo appropriate for the moment (against a 1-6-3). Not only does it make sense mechanically and destroy your entire post, it makes sense realistically, as a lead hook is faster than a rear uppercut.

If we were in any other context, I would expect my post to enlighten you, but I look forward to you inevitably doubling down on nonsense.

Hey You Monkey,

i dont know what your talking about. I am not advocating for sh#t aside from getting fighters off of a predetermined, hard set of combos, in which one is more effective than another, no matter the context.

Read my post carefully, monkey, IDC about which combo does what. The most effective combo should be determined by positioning relative to your opponent and physical attributes...

... monkey.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Read my post carefully, monkey, IDC about which combo does what. The most effective combo should be determined by positioning relative to your opponent and physical attributes...

Yes. And the most effective combo in that moment is the jab - Lead Hook because relevant to your opponent’s position and attributes (namely speed) it overtakes them.

Everything you’ve said is in the game already.

This is simple stuff. You don’t have to be a genius, you just have to have a little self awareness and reading comprehension.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #22
Pro

Quote:
Yes. And the most effective combo in that moment is the jab - Lead Hook because relevant to your opponent’s position and attributes (namely speed) it overtakes them.

Everything you’ve said is in the game already.

This is simple stuff. You don’t have to be a genius, you just have to have a little self awareness and reading comprehension.

You two are arguing past each other, and both making relevant points.

I particularly like King's point, as it resonates strongly with me. And King, like you, I am blown away by the way folks often miss the reasoning behind what you are arguing.

Monkey is right, relative positioning and scenarios offer the opportunity for specific responses that are most fitting as a counter... BUT

That doesn't mean a combo should be super powered simply because a fighter has that tier of combos from a bs list.

I hate the combination system in this game. (That doesn't mean I somehow don't believe in combos, only that physical attributes of the character and the right timing and decisions of the gamer should determine the gameplay; current system just has too much arcade feel with hard-wired combos on a list.)
Old 06-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #23
MVP

Jab uppercut lead hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksearyback
You two are arguing past each other, and both making relevant points.

I particularly like King's point, as it resonates strongly with me. And King, like you, I am blown away by the way folks often miss the reasoning behind what you are arguing.

Monkey is right, relative positioning and scenarios offer the opportunity for specific responses that are most fitting as a counter... BUT

That doesn't mean a combo should be super powered simply because a fighter has that tier of combos from a bs list.

I hate the combination system in this game. (That doesn't mean I somehow don't believe in combos, only that physical attributes of the character and the right timing and decisions of the gamer should determine the gameplay; current system just has too much arcade feel with hard-wired combos on a list.)

No, if he was arguing about the combo system itself (and not the way certain combos interact with each other) he would have said something similar to you. Clear cut and concise.

I don’t agree with you, but at least your comment isn’t a complete misunderstanding of gameplay mechanics.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:

Well, you know what? In real life, real fighters DO talk about and share favorite combinations.

I feel that it is perfectly reasonable and realistic for fighters to have access to a limited amount of combos during a professional fight.

When they are under the lights on stage with adrenaline flowing, stress high, and stakes high, fighters throw the combinations that they have drilled in practice thousands of times. Even though fighters are physically capable of throwing other combinations not on their "list", they still rely on and use the combos and techniques that they have specifically trained in practice.

I think that combinations should be more specifically tailored to each fighter, but overall I'm happy with the system.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »