Home

Spear td feels op

This is a discussion on Spear td feels op within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Spear td feels op

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCBlackbelt
Advaita is a freak when it comes to denials, God how I hate having to grapple with that guy it feels like he sees all.

its insanely easy to mix it up into a combination, like a jab cross. Ive only been sprawled once so far., the fact that it lasts the entire rocked period and has such an enormous range makes it problematic. And again, there is no incentive not to do it. Unless you’re using Conor against Nate or they are already close to the cage for damage, there is almost no situation where having side control is worse than landed one or two body punches and maybe a head strike;

at low stamina its also abusable because most whiffs will lead you to have zero stamina, but unlike the normal double which will come out telegraphed the spear td can be used pretty effectively.

I love options for grapplers, I almost always use a grappler, gsp is my favorite fighter, but I know when something isnt right. I said the same thing about duck uppercuts the week i realized they were an issue and people gave me the same response i am getting now..
I think the suggestion to slightly increase the denial window if you don't capitalise early during the rock is good. What I mean is - you go for the TD right away, it has the same properties as right now, but if you don't, they'll get a non-predeny TDD window which will increase as more time passes. It still should be significantly lower than the regular window though, as you are rocked.

But overall, the possibility of being taken down is very real now, and in result players will really fear whiffing, gassing, or getting rocked, especially against a grappler. This should help with output numbers in a very natural way. I do think the spear should be reserved for fighters with a certain level of TDO though. I would imagine that a competent player would make even Conor McGregor look like a GSP in these situations, which shouldn't be the case.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #18
MVP

Yeah you have to be careful now ...or at least have it in the back of your mind that the spear takedown is real

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #19
Rookie

They latest patched ruined the game. Now it feels like a mma game.

striking is broken, not enough options to keep it standing
Old 12-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #20
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

I can appreciate that takedowns are a factor now. But it's just all wrong. Why are people not more vulnerability to takedowns if they are just in the middle of winging head shot combos? What has made logical td windows obselete and now it's all about using undeniable takedowns? For it to feel authentic again, we need realistic td windows, not undeniable tds that you have to pre-deny. Right now, takedown ratings basically only determine the fighters distance in committing to a td, not how well they perform them since the only tds that seem to work are undeniable anyway.

I know the newness of this must have a lot of people excited, but it's not practical or realistically implemented. I think a lot of people are going to see this later than now. But the next game really has to get away from this undeniable td thing as a way to balance the gameplay and get back to making td windows & the td & tdd ratings meshing together for more realistic takedowns.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #21
MVP

The takedown is AIDS and anyone defending its current position is clearly only wants it for their own benefit.

I was in favor of it because it could be predenied, but now (especially since you can see predenials) I have realized you can just crush someone with a combo first and THEN do the takedown.

This completely eliminates the risk-reward of “do I block the takedown and risk getting blasted or do I block high and risk getting taken down” meta. Instead, it doesn’t matter what you do.

You either block high and get taken down (or eat a combo on your block and get taken down) or you block the takedown and STILL eat a combo before getting taken down.

DIRECTLY into side control. Where the ridiculously unrealistic powerbomb elbows can easily KO you because it only takes two and you have low stamina.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #22
MVP

They went too far in the opposite way. I felt the game was at a near balance before this patch, but now it’s 70-30 grapplers paradise.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
The takedown is AIDS and anyone defending its current position is clearly only wants it for their own benefit.

I was in favor of it because it could be predenied, but now (especially since you can see predenials) I have realized you can just crush someone with a combo first and THEN do the takedown.

This completely eliminates the risk-reward of “do I block the takedown and risk getting blasted or do I block high and risk getting taken down” meta. Instead, it doesn’t matter what you do.

You either block high and get taken down (or eat a combo on your block and get taken down) or you block the takedown and STILL eat a combo before getting taken down.

DIRECTLY into side control. Where the ridiculously unrealistic powerbomb elbows can easily KO you because it only takes two and you have low stamina.

Exactly this is the issue, yeah. This is what they should be looking to fix. And I absolutely agree with TheGentlemanGhost, denials should happen in real time and the more off-balance you are when you have to defend it, the smaller the window to do it should be. No pre-denials.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #24
MVP

I like it as it makes the AI actually land surprise takedowns rather than it being a case of me either denying lazily or letting them get the takedown, or sometimes them taking advantage of recovery frames on a whiffed kick.

I was busting up Chad Mendes near the fence and boom, spear takedown into the middle of the octagon.

That said, I'm all for a different approach if there's a better one. It's just nice having something like this for offline, to give the AI a surprise card, as the whole RT and Down to deny is just too easy once it becomes muscle memory.

Once the takedowns / grappling off slip / pivot lunges are added into the mix, the AI grapplers will be a force to reckon with.

If we had a CPU takedown slider too, my goodness, it would be nuts!

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »