Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #13489
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
Hulu has a low-key, great selection of movies.
We subscribed to Hulu just before the pandemic hit. I've probably watched more movies on there than on Netflix, Amazon Video, or HBO during that times. Off the top of my head:

Parasite - A great movie and probably my favorite of 2019. You always know that a foreign film is great when you completely forget that you're reading subtitles.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - I'm a sucker for Taika Waititi's movies and this one was one of my favorites from him. I'd rate it ahead of JoJo Rabbit but behind What We Do in the Shadows. It was a really enduring movie. It's a "rewatchable", for sure.

Palm Springs - This one is a Hulu original and is a nice little rom-com. It's kind of like an updated What About Bob. I liked it and as soon as the movie ended searched for and purchased the shirt Andy Samberg wore during the duration of the movie.

Other than that, we've watched a couple of docs that were decent - Three Identical Strangers and Wrinkles the Clown and some shows - The Handmaid Tale - which really wasn't what I thought it was going to be and really good and some non-Hulu Orginal shows have kept us pretty busy, as well. We're currently watching Buffy, which my wife has never seen. Overall, Hulu has been a good investment for us.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 09-17-2020, 05:43 PM   #13490
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0

• Princess Mononoke: 5/10
  • Kundun: 6/10 [Seems like a companion piece to The Last Emperor but that story is more interesting and a better movie.]
  • Elizabeth: 6/10
  • Shakespeare In Love: 6/10 [Talk about being at the top of the world, in 1998 Joseph Fienes was the lead actor in the Best Picture nominee Elizabeth and Best Picture winner Shakespeare In Love].
  • The Matrix: 9/10 [Yup, it holds up.]
  • Bringing Out the Dead: 5/10 [A miss by Marty.]
  • Man on the Moon: 6/10 [Jim Carrey was worthy of a nomination but 1999 was a crowded year for Lead Actor (Haven’t seen Sweet and Lowdown).]
  • The Bone Collector: 4/10
  • The Blair Witch Project: 6/10 [An achievement.]
  • The Cider House Rules: 6/10
Old 09-18-2020, 12:31 AM   #13491
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Live 013
  • Princess Mononoke: 5/10
  • Kundun: 6/10 [Seems like a companion piece to The Last Emperor but that story is more interesting and a better movie.]
  • Elizabeth: 6/10
  • Shakespeare In Love: 6/10 [Talk about being at the top of the world, in 1998 Joseph Fienes was the lead actor in the Best Picture nominee Elizabeth and Best Picture winner Shakespeare In Love].
  • The Matrix: 9/10 [Yup, it holds up.]
  • Bringing Out the Dead: 5/10 [A miss by Marty.]
  • Man on the Moon: 6/10 [Jim Carrey was worthy of a nomination but 1999 was a crowded year for Lead Actor (Haven’t seen Sweet and Lowdown).]
  • The Bone Collector: 4/10
  • The Blair Witch Project: 6/10 [An achievement.]
  • The Cider House Rules: 6/10
5/10 on Princess Mononoke?! Man that's harsh.

Did you watch the original Miyazaki version or the Disney distributed edit?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2020, 12:45 AM   #13492
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0

I believe it is the original one. Also, no dubs, I watch movies in their original languages. I'm just not that into Miyazaki even if I can appreciate the animation and originality; so far the ones that have fare better are My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:56 AM   #13493
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
seems like most of my favorite Denzel movies will never get a sequel: Fallen, Training Day, Cry Freedom, Malcolm X, Book of Eli. outside of Equalizer, you don't see Denzel repeating himself, he's always moving on to other roles. Also, Hollywood should do a Passenger 57 sequel, this time w/Denzel as Cutter
I watched Passenger 57 the other night just randomly, which is weird that I see it brought up here. It's such a fun movie, and I love the idea with Denzel as Cutter because Hollywood is always remaking these types of movies and casting younger people to play the roles, why not cast someone older for a change? And Denzel, I mean it's impossible for it to be bad with him in it.

I'm sitting here picturing him saying, "Always bet on black." lol

Last edited by PVarck31; 09-18-2020 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:39 PM   #13494
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyrich
I've been obsessing over old Hitchcock movies...
yeah, his old movies are great. his new ones, not so much

A Work in Progress
Old 09-19-2020, 01:10 AM   #13495
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Live 013
I believe it is the original one. Also, no dubs, I watch movies in their original languages. I'm just not that into Miyazaki even if I can appreciate the animation and originality; so far the ones that have fare better are My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away.
Yeah not for everyone, it just hurts my soul lol.

Good that you did watch the original though. While the story does not differ, many early Miyazaki films that made their way over here were edited because it was believed that Western audiences could not handle long periods without background music. So, the Disney versions end up losing some of the artistry.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #13496
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

District 9, I saw a reddit thread praising it so figured I’d check it out. I thought it was great, and the allegory was well played. Weird though, Alien is one of my favorite movies ever but I think I saw it too young because any image of an alien is just so...off putting? I dunno, like I can look at it but it’s like I’m almost having to turn away, just seeing his arm was so freaky to me. It’s weird because I can watch Black Noir rip a guys jaw open with no issues in The Boys but as soon as there’s an alien part I’m wincing lol.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »