Home

Survivor: David vs Goliath

This is a discussion on Survivor: David vs Goliath within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2018, 12:00 AM   #1

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Survivor: David vs Goliath

Season premieres tonight at 8pm EST before the BB20 finale.

Yes, another fall gimmick name. Outside of Ghost Island, none of the past 5 seasons have had good names.

I rewatched Tocantins over the summer and I think it was even better than I had remembered. It was even more shocking since I had the 3rd place finisher all wrong, so I was surprised so much at that tribal. Despite what people say about him, I like Coach. Technically as of now, Tocantins is the "halfway point" of Survivor.

I saw a show called Total Drama Island. It's an old Canadian cartoon (with teenage humor) that's basically a parody of Survivor. So funny how much they got so many aspects of Survivor correct, specifically the host being Jeff Probsts cartoon character.

Last season had its ups and downs, but given how it ended, I put it in my "2nd tier" rankings of seasons.

Quote:
Top Tier:
Pearl Islands,All Stars,Panama,Cook Islands,Fiji,Fans vs Faves 1,Tocantins,Heroes vs Villains,Blood vs Water 1,Second Chance,Borneo

2nd Tier
Australian Outback,Africa,Palau,Samoa,South Pacific,Fans vs Faves 2,Game Changers,Brain vs Brawn vs Beauty 1,Millennials vs Gen X,Philippines,Ghost Island

3rd Tier:
Blood vs Water 2,Brain vs Brawn vs Beauty 2,Worlds Apart,Vanuatu,Guatemala,Amazon, Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers

Bottom Tier:
China,One World,Nicaragua,Redemption Island,Gabon,Thailand,Marquesas
This season features all newbies again, but some familiar faces. Anyone who watches wrestling will obviously know about John (John Morrison/Nitro in WWE, and Johnny Mundo/Impact elsewhere). Mike was a 2 time contestant on Amazing Race. Despite the fact I watched him on Amazing Race, I most remember him being Jack Blacks roommate in School of Rock(the teacher he impersonated).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2018, 12:05 AM   #2

Majingir's Arena

Re: Survivor: David vs Goliath

As usual, my cast assessment based off of nothing except their bios. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm way off, many times I jinx people.

Mike, John and maybe Dan would be the 3 people I'd say would go far. John is the person I've wanted to win more than any newbie in Survivor history, unfortunately my faves go home early. Although in Big Brother my pre-season fave MIGHT win it all, so maybe I can go 2 for 2?

Quote:
Natalia-Smart and is a fan of the game, don't know how she'll do strategically.

Carl-One of the older guys in this surprisingly older cast. Could be good at work in camp, but could see some people still using his age against him.

Natalie-The mom of the cast and oldest contestant in the game (56). Don't see her lasting long in the game.

Jeremy-A smart guy who could do well in the game. Listed Jeremy Collins as his fave player, hopefully he ends up like that.

Pat-Reminds me abit of Ben from last year, but I don't think he'll be anywhere close to that good.

John-My preseason pick for months. Johnny Mundo/Nitro/Morrison/Impact! He SHOULD do real well in the game, but knowing what happens to my faves, he's probably out before jury.

Christian-The nerd of the season(even called a nerd on TV by Stephen Colbert in the past lol).

Kara-Might just be one of the generic players on the season.

Angelina-Another person who probably will be a generic player/a number for one alliance

Alec-2 of his faves are Joe/Malcolm, so if he can be anything like those guys, he'd be one of my faves.

Bi-Not a fan of the show, but could at least do well in challenges.

Elizabeth-Could be the "redneck character" for this cast

Gabby-Reminds me of Hannah from a few seasons back. Hopefully she can stay much more calm/relaxed in stressful moments.

Jessica-Youngest person in the cast, and her fave player is Sarah. Could see her being a pre-jury boot.

Alison-Her 3 words to describe herself makes me think she was gonna be on the HHH season. Her personal claim to fame is kind of sad(a spelling bee in 5th grade..that she finished 5th!)

Dan-Could be one of the standout players. Don't know how entertaining he'll be, but could see him doing well at challenges and social part of the game.

Davie-Social media guy, don't know how he'll handle the elements of the game.

Lyrsa-One of the older women on the season, might play under the radar game.

Nick-The "southern guy". Would be lucky if he could come anywhere close to a JT.

Mike-Another one of the castaways who is known to people before Survivor(filmmaker who has appeared on Amazing Race and even School of Rock with Jack Black). Might not do well in the game, but I hope he goes far.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

I'm really excited for 3 weeks of David v Goliath before they switch up into 3 tribes
Old 09-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #4

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlNachos
I'm really excited for 3 weeks of David v Goliath before they switch up into 3 tribes
It's what I say all the time. Why have these gimmick names when a big majority of the season doesn't even deal with that gimmick/theme? Every season they seem to switch things up after 3-4 weeks/tribals.

I get they don't want to run the same old formula every season, but Survivor has been on long enough that they're at the stage of "what's old is new again". Lets have a season with no tribe switch(or just one a week before the merge) and a final 2.

As great as last seasons ending was (one of the best in Survivor history), a F2 is so much better. Whoever wins final immunity needs to choose who they sit beside in the finals. I like they still give that person power in this new format(where you vote to "save" one person,while other 2 battle it out for the final spot), but the original format was perfect.

I'm hoping next TV year(2020) gimmick is the highly demanded "Survivor Champions" season. Winter/Spring 2020 will be their 40th season, perfect time for that.

I'm surprisingly not as excited for this season. Partly because of the gimmick, but for first time since they've done this(Survivor/BB in same night), I'm really looking forward to Big Brothers finale much more than Survivors premiere.

Last edited by Majingir; 09-26-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:27 AM   #5

Majingir's Arena

Surprised to see 1st episode end like that. A med-evec from a moment not even captured on camera, where editing really did good job despite that.

That's what made moment even scarier, not even knowing what happened or how serious anything is. All you see is Pat just there on the ground, not moving, surrounded by medical. I thought he might have done well once I saw him in the episode..until he opened his mouth.

After seeing episode, Christian is one guy I hope goes far. The stand out player for me after 1 episode. Reminds me of a mix between Cochran and Ian(going old school with that one).

I can't believe we got a Supergirl/Kara reference on Survivor.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
YNWA

~LiverpoolRed~'s Arena

OVR: 24

I'd be very surprised if John Morrison makes it far in the game. What an arrogant, annoying, cocky guy. He said he wasn't going to play a wrestling persona, just as John. They are one and the same.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:47 PM   #7

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LiverpoolRed~
I'd be very surprised if John Morrison makes it far in the game. What an arrogant, annoying, cocky guy. He said he wasn't going to play a wrestling persona, just as John. They are one and the same.
I don't know what he's like in real life, but I wouldn't be surprised if they'd only show the "wrestling character" side of him on TV since these types of shows like portraying people in specific ways, and when you have a guy who plays a tv character for a living, it's easier to do.

And something funny I noticed on this episode. The girl looking for an idol made a statement that she read online that a small percentage of idols found are by females. I read the exact same thing last season lol. She definitely has to be a member on reddit.

And Natalie is gone the first tribal she goes to. 0 reason to be on Survivor. Gives off the vibe of that cold blooded boss that employees are scared to talk to.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #8
YNWA

~LiverpoolRed~'s Arena

OVR: 24

Jeff has confirmed that Canadians can now apply for Survivor. Do it Maj!

https://globalnews.ca/news/4489763/s...y-contestants/

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »