Home

R.I.P. Neil Peart

This is a discussion on R.I.P. Neil Peart within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #9
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
R.I.P. Neil Peart

I am still processing this because of how sudden it really was for all of us who have been life long Rush fans. This band had changed my life at the tender age of 11 years old.

Neil was not only a brilliant rock drummer but an incredible lyricist. The words of Rush have defined almost every stage of my life. I can point to so many songs as inspiration and helping me aspire to be my best. Also so many magical stories from his earlier work in the 70’s.

Neil went through many phases and stylings both with his drumming and his words.

He overcame an incredible tragedy in his life losing his then only daughter at the age of 19 to a tragic single car accident and then his wife within 18 months to cancer (a broken heart).

He “retired” from Rush in 1998 and set out on a personel journey on his motorcycle which was documented in his autobiography Ghost Rider.

Somehow he found his way back to Alex and Geddy and they were able to give us 3 more original albums and many more tours.

My son now almost 15 years young is himself an incredible young drummer. Myself, I have been a progressive rock guitarist since....you guessed it the age of 11.

Rush is the reason we both play and create music. But they have always been the inspiration that drove us in sports (baseball) and life itself. Their music and Neils words have been that powerful for us.

We lost a titan. A legend. But we have an amazing gift from him that can be passed from generation to generation.

Rest in peace Neil. You will be sorely missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 01-11-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:23 PM   #10
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart

The G.O.A.T. phrase/distinction gets thrown around a lot, but with Neil, I think it's safe to say he is the greatest drummer. Incredible talent and as a few mentioned, a gifted songwriter as well.

I've been watching The Goldbergs recently and there's a character on there (show is set in the 80's) who wears a Rush shirt every day to school. For those of us that grew up around that same time, we can likely call out a person or three that did the same thing at their school. Rush was an obscure band for many, but once you were exposed to the music you were hooked and felt like you belonged to this secret society where the really good music was played.

There will never be another Neil Peart. It's sad that he's gone, but makes me glad to know he's not in pain and that with his passing, many more people will be granted permission to join our club and listen to one of the greatest rock bands ever.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 01-11-2020, 11:44 PM   #11
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Rock is a much smaller place without him, RIP.

PSN: BigGreenZaku

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2020, 08:32 AM   #12
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
The G.O.A.T. phrase/distinction gets thrown around a lot, but with Neil, I think it's safe to say he is the greatest drummer. Incredible talent and as a few mentioned, a gifted songwriter as well.

I've been watching The Goldbergs recently and there's a character on there (show is set in the 80's) who wears a Rush shirt every day to school. For those of us that grew up around that same time, we can likely call out a person or three that did the same thing at their school. Rush was an obscure band for many, but once you were exposed to the music you were hooked and felt like you belonged to this secret society where the really good music was played.

There will never be another Neil Peart. It's sad that he's gone, but makes me glad to know he's not in pain and that with his passing, many more people will be granted permission to join our club and listen to one of the greatest rock bands ever.

I was one of those guys. The only time I did not wear a Rush shirt to High School was when my baseball team had a game (wear our game jersey) or my laundry was behind schedule.

My girlfriend complained but I did not care. We had that secret clubhouse indeed.

My band in high school covered several Rush tunes through my high school years and every time we played battle of the bands, coffee house or in the cafeteria (yes they allowed bands to play lunch once a month), all of our friends would wonder what Rush tune we would belt out.

Great memories.

Rise of the Ronin (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I am today's Tom Sawyer.
R.I.P. Neil.

A Work in Progress
Old 01-12-2020, 10:05 AM   #14
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
I was one of those guys. The only time I did not wear a Rush shirt to High School was when my baseball team had a game (wear our game jersey) or my laundry was behind schedule.

My girlfriend complained but I did not care. We had that secret clubhouse indeed.

My band in high school covered several Rush tunes through my high school years and every time we played battle of the bands, coffee house or in the cafeteria (yes they allowed bands to play lunch once a month), all of our friends would wonder what Rush tune we would belt out.

Great memories.

There was a reason why your girlfriend didn't want you wearing the Rush gear all of the time. Rush joked about it on some of their DVD's that were were only 20 females at their concerts.

I'm so glad our son was able to experience a Rush concert with dad. There are no bathroom breaks with the professor on the drum kit.

I recall one Rush concert several years ago they played all deep cuts, Red Sector A, Camera Eye, Witch Hunt, etc....
Old 01-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
There was a reason why your girlfriend didn't want you wearing the Rush gear all of the time. Rush joked about it on some of their DVD's that were were only 20 females at their concerts.

I'm so glad our son was able to experience a Rush concert with dad. There are no bathroom breaks with the professor on the drum kit.

I recall one Rush concert several years ago they played all deep cuts, Red Sector A, Camera Eye, Witch Hunt, etc....
God I would have loved to hear The Camera Eye live. Love that song.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2020, 08:17 PM   #16
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

So back in 2010 and 2011 on the Time Machine Tour they played all of Moving Pictures front to back.

Then on the Clockwork Angels tour in 2012/2013 they pulled out so many amazing deep cuts from their 80’s era:

The Analog Kid
Grand Designs
Middletown Dreams
Red Sector A
Manhattan Project
The Body Electric
Territories

R40 which would be their last tour was simply incredible. They played chronologically in reverse from set one to set two to the amazing encore. Changing the stage props as they went along from the most modern set-up, to the 80’s set up, to the 70’s set up...then in the encore a school gym.

They alternated shows with these songs like:

The Camera Eye
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Natural Science
Distant Early Warning
Between The Wheels

And they finally.....finally played my last true bucket list song (I have seen Rush over 25 times live dating back to 1982 which was my first tour.....the Signals Tour back to back nights in Hollywood, Florida and ending on a magical night in Las Vegas in July at the MGM Grand Garden Arena from the 10th row (2 shows before their last ever).

Jacobs Ladder.

And it was majestic. I got to see the R40 tour two times. Took my son and wife to Tampa to see them and my son was simply blown away. We were high fiving all night. And when it was over...we both looked at each other and I had to tell him...son this is probably the last time you will see them live. I knew this was it. The film they showed at the end of this concert pretty much spelled it out. He was lucky enough to see them 4 times and meet Geddy and Alex with myself and my wife on the Time Machine tour in 2011. Alex and Geddy loved seeing my son at 6 years old with a Rush shirt on and he was so into the music. Alex knelled down and gave him a guitar pick and shook his hand.....GEddy and Alex acted like I was not even there LOL!!! We have that picture and an incredible memory with my heroes.

Anyway.....I did some crying last night. And I still cannot believe Neil is gone.

"Suddenly you were gone.....
From all the lives you left your mark upon"

(Neil Peart 1984 from the song Afterimage)
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 01-12-2020 at 08:24 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »