Home

HBO Max Discussion

This is a discussion on HBO Max Discussion within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2021, 12:17 PM   #1
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
HBO Max Discussion

I didn’t see a thread for HBO Max shows and series, and didn’t think it appropriate to add series to the movies thread or HBO stuff to the Netflix thread. Please merge/delete if it already exists, searching on mobile app is practically useless.

Just started The Undoing with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant. One episode in, with the drama hitting at the end of it. It’s setting up, so I’m all in.

Watched Mare of Easttown, and being from the area (they filmed parts down the street from my work, others in local bars), it was an extra thrill. Great series on its own, it hit close to home thematically besides literally hitting close to home. A must-watch if you dig murder mysteries or something like True Detective.

I also knocked out In the Heights, a musical about life in Washington Heights in NYC. It was a fun, out of my usual interests watch... I don’t think I’ve ever willingly watched a musical before. A nice storytelling of the life as a resident.

What else ya got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2021, 12:47 PM   #2
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: HBO Max Discussion

I recently finished all of Westworld, which has its own thread here but it's pretty dead. I can see why with how bad Season 3 was, lol. Season 1 was as good as anything ever made though. Well worth it just for Season 1.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #3
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17
HBO Max Discussion

I’m currently on Deadwood, never seen it but I see why people call it a classic. Ian McShane is fantastic.

Never seen a Rick and Morty episode in my life so I’m gonna start that.

Love the selection of movies, so many classics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB

Last edited by RockinDaMike; 06-30-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinDaMike
I’m currently on Deadwood, never seen it but I see why people call it a classic. Ian McShane is fantastic.

Never seen a Rick and Morty episode in life so I’m gonna start that.

Love the selection of movies, so many classics.
Deadwood had some serious brutality in it.

Have to catch up with Rick and Morty because the DVR interface for new shows has always been sketchy.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:49 PM   #5
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

Quote:
SWEDGIN!!!

Deadwood might be my #3 fave after Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire. HBO didn't make many mistakes, but not giving Deadwood a full run of 5 or 6 seasons was one of them.

The swearing on that show is an interesting feature. I recall David Milch saying he didn't want to use period vulgarity because it would've sounded quaint to modern ears and wouldn't carry the same effect as intended at the time, so that's why he updated it and everything is ****sucker this and ****sucker that.

BTW, really old school HBO show to watch if it's on there: Carnivale. Never got quite the same acclaim as a lot of the other shows, but I loved it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2021, 04:50 PM   #6
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I missed Those Who Wish Me Dead. Didn't realize it would be knocked off of there so quickly.

I'll likely check out In The Heights, but I'm way too backlogged on shows to start watching any of these before I see some other ones.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 06-30-2021, 04:56 PM   #7
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
SWEDGIN!!!

Deadwood might be my #3 fave after Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire. HBO didn't make many mistakes, but not giving Deadwood a full run of 5 or 6 seasons was one of them.

The swearing on that show is an interesting feature. I recall David Milch saying he didn't want to use period vulgarity because it would've sounded quaint to modern ears and wouldn't carry the same effect as intended at the time, so that's why he updated it and everything is ****sucker this and ****sucker that.

BTW, really old school HBO show to watch if it's on there: Carnivale. Never got quite the same acclaim as a lot of the other shows, but I loved it.

Glad you pointed out the language because it seemed off to me that they would talk like that in that time period but totally understand why they would do it, especially if you need to portray how tough these guys are in a lawless town.

I also gotta check out Carnivale, my buddy always told me to get the single season.

One show I always avoided is Oz. I just couldn’t handle hearing how much rape was in the show. I may have the stomach for it now as much older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB
Old 06-30-2021, 05:40 PM   #8
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

Quote:
One show I always avoided is Oz. I just couldn’t handle hearing how much rape was in the show. I may have the stomach for it now as much older.
Oh yeah, Oz was horrifying. I still find J.K. Simmons terrifying to this day. Anything prison-related is just so dreary.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »