Home

Obi-Wan Kenobi (May 27th)

This is a discussion on Obi-Wan Kenobi (May 27th) within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2022, 10:58 AM   #57
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi (May 27th)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBucs
I would say the ONLY thing for me as far as canon is that in A New Hope, Leia's message to Obi-Wan through R2 seems to imply that they don't know each other when in reality they've been through all of what happened in this series together.

So instead of saying "General Kenobi - years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars..." she would have said "Hey buddy - remember when you helped my father by rescuing me from that kidnapping, yeah we need your help again..." For me that seems to be the biggest disconnect.
I thought Leia was one of the better parts of the series. Really, one of the last things I thought would be featured.

I think her message still rings true " ..this is our most desperate hour. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope" But it is a slippery slope, for sure.

.. I think the Darth-Obi lightsaber battle in ANH is pretty comical now.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:58 PM   #58
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
I thought Leia was one of the better parts of the series. Really, one of the last things I thought would be featured.

I think her message still rings true " ..this is our most desperate hour. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope" But it is a slippery slope, for sure.

agreed,
and yeah, the Vader w/lightsaber at the end of Rogue one is the Vader we deserved in episode IV, V and VI

A Work in Progress
Old 06-29-2022, 05:27 PM   #59
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
I would say the ONLY thing for me as far as canon is that in A New Hope, Leia's message to Obi-Wan through R2 seems to imply that they don't know each other when in reality they've been through all of what happened in this series together.

So instead of saying "General Kenobi - years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars..." she would have said "Hey buddy - remember when you helped my father by rescuing me from that kidnapping, yeah we need your help again..." For me that seems to be the biggest disconnect.

That being said, I loved the series, especially the last few episodes.
I don't think it hurts canon too bad, simply because Obi-Wan told her that no one must know of their connection as it would endanger their lives. So when sending the message to Obi-Wan, she wouldn't have mentioned that prior connection just in case R2 ended up in the empire's hands. At least that's how I can defend the choice in narrative and make it fit into the OT canon.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:07 PM   #60
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I thought the series was…ok.

Def had a few moments where it grabbed my attention and a few where I tuned out and started scrolling through my phone.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:20 AM   #61

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Episode 6 was a great finale.
Spoiler
Quote:

That being said, I loved the series, especially the last few episodes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontoddwhitt
I don't think it hurts canon too bad, simply because Obi-Wan told her that no one must know of their connection as it would endanger their lives. So when sending the message to Obi-Wan, she wouldn't have mentioned that prior connection just in case R2 ended up in the empire's hands. At least that's how I can defend the choice in narrative and make it fit into the OT canon.
I dont think she'd make it seem like she knows him. Although to be fair, look how much time passed between everything. It's almost a decade between this and A New Hope. LOTS has probably happened in those 9 years. He probably wouldn't mean as much to her 9 years from then compared to if it happened a few months or a year later.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2022, 11:04 AM   #62
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
And I want to know how many actually know Anakin is Vader. And how did the third sister even figure out who Luke is? And how many even know Luke (and Leia) are his kids?
My one major issue with the show is the fact that Reva knew that Vader was Anakin. In both canon and legends, Vader was very protective of his previous identity (Jocasta Nu, the Jedi librarian that survived Order 66, told the stormtroopers that captured her who Darth Vader was. Vader killed her and the stormtroopers).

I get they worked around that by Reva surviving Order 66 at the temple, but it's my one sticking point with the show. The original writer of the show who created Reva said in an interview that his version of the character didn't know that fact.

As for the people who know that Vader is Anakin (according to canon)...

Palpatine
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Yoda
Bail Organa (maybe, considering he discussed Obi-Wan's failure with Anakin?)
Ahsoka Tano
Grand Moff Tarkin (he served with Anakin during the Clone Wars, and began recognizing Vader's battle tactics and that Vader had a familiarity with him. Knew better than to voice his suspicions.)
Grand Admiral Thrawn (encountered Anakin during the Clone Wars, and quickly deduced that Vader was Anakin. Knew better than to voice his knowledge.)

As for the knowledge of the kids....only Yoda, Obi-Wan, Bail (and his wife), Owen, and Beru know their true lineage at the time of the movies.

In the sequel canon, a New Republic senator (and First Order agent) leaked information to the senate that Leia and Luke were the children of Darth Vader. Leia resigned her senate seat and became the leader of the Resistance as her political career was effectively destroyed.

Last edited by jasontoddwhitt; 07-11-2022 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:58 PM   #63
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I grew up with the original trilogy. I even enjoyed the prequels and much of the SW material that followed....(up until the sequels). But I also accepted a while ago that SW that does tend to retcon a bit, so I don't attempt too many mental gymnastics to try to rationalize and align everything.

As far back as ESB in 1980 I would suggest that it had not been determined that Luke and Leia were siblings....or we would not have had the cringy kiss scene that people have made fun of for 39 years. That changed somewhere between 1980 and 1983..LOL. But that is ok, it's Star Wars.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:16 PM   #64
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I haven't watched this series, but Variety mentioned there is a 2+ hour "movie" fan edit of this series that addresses a lot of the issues the show had.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/obi...ie-1235311307/
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »