Home

Developer quote in Game Informer

This is a discussion on Developer quote in Game Informer within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2004, 05:39 PM   #73
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Developer quote in Game Informer

what they need is a setting called SIMULATION...or release the hardcore version with a arcade setting... for the masses...It can be done.. I think its a cop out.. explaining why their game has bugs in it,.. Oh we had to make it easier for the masses..uhm thats what the difficulty levels are for...They advertise how its like real football.. give us that.. then put features for the masses in it...
Old 10-20-2004, 05:45 PM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 3

stop debating ideas of what sim is or how complicated it can be

A WR catching in triple coverage, or a qb stiff-arming RAY LEWIS isn't that hard to change. You're all acting like the game will completely change because it's a "sim".
Just fix the damn obvious glaring bull****.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:50 PM   #75
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano
explaining why their game has bugs in it
Yup...

ftball11 - I thought your write-up on the previous page was great. Good overview.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2004, 07:39 PM   #76
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeist
Most of you guys couldn't take a sim football game and thats me included. We got a small taste of a sim element VC could put in their game when they put in "Weekly Prep".
I was just thinking that while attempting to read this thread. If people weren't railing about Weekly Prep being TOO deep, then they were complaining that it was flawed in some way they didn't like. There are just too many differing opinions as to what's truly sim or simcade amongst the hardcore gaming community. I think a true sim game would fail because of that. There's just so much... pickiness. And in this day and age, hardcore gamers don't applaud what you succeeded in - many focus on what you failed at doing.

I think VC is definitely on the right track right now. NFL2k5 depicts BnR in the most realistic way we've seen in a football videogame. Same for OL/DL play. With the right tweaks, 2k6 will be awesome.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:13 PM   #77
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_essence
stop debating ideas of what sim is or how complicated it can be

A WR catching in triple coverage, or a qb stiff-arming RAY LEWIS isn't that hard to change. You're all acting like the game will completely change because it's a "sim".
Just fix the damn obvious glaring bull****.
ALL GAMES HAVE BUGS ALL GAMES HAVE BUGS ALL GAMES HAVE BUGS

And a WR catching in triple coverage isn't a bug, it could happen. And I would think that Culpepper could do something close to a stiff are on Ray Lewis.

See this is what I'm talking about......will a sim take into account random occurences??? I think VC tries to represent it in it's game somewhat but we get all pissy and say just because this happened twice in one game than the whole entire engine is broken.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:49 PM   #78
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky

And a WR catching in triple coverage isn't a bug, it could happen. And I would think that Culpepper could do something close to a stiff are on Ray Lewis.

See this is what I'm talking about......will a sim take into account random occurences??? I think VC tries to represent it in it's game somewhat but we get all pissy and say just because this happened twice in one game than the whole entire engine is broken.
You are right in that instance. But lets not forget the clipping bug, the DT running backwards into a pass coverage and often suckering an offensive guard downfield for an illegal man downfield call, gimme routes, "Spy" that doesn't work, "hot double teams" that sometimes don't work (like last year), challenge-related possession bugs...

..need I go on?

I think it goes a bit deeper than the odd catch in double coverage. And THAT is why the engine needs a severe bug extermination for next year.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky

First of all, the chances of Culpepper stiff arming Ray is EXTREMELY RARE. Making excuses about VC trying to representing something is BS. Taking something that might happen in 100 plays and letting it in the game is garbage.
VC doesn't allow this once or twice a game. They allow it EVERY PLAY. If you run with culpepper you CAN kill ray lewis. Sure, maybe you see it once a game because you dont get the opportunity to see it. Set it up in practice mode where a QB is 1v1 with any linebacker. The qb always win if he is charged. Making excuses about how VC tries to represent it in a game is BS.
Gee, it happened one time this season so lets make it so it CAN happen in every game.
That added to the fact that the president himself saying he doesn't want a sim game.
BTW, it doesn't have to even be culpepper, try doing it with tom brady vs Ray. If he doesn't run him over, he somehow gets forward momentum.

And to your bug comment, it's not a bug when they want it this way. Qbs used to fumble, now they don't. That is not a bug.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:37 PM   #80
Pro

OVR: 5

One of the hardest aspects of the game to program is all the tangibles. That is why I don't think a sim would work. The DBs couldn't play perfect coverage every time, the LBs couldn't stuff every hole, O-Linemen can't make the block every time, etc. That stuff would have to be scripted in, other wise, we'd never score. And you can bet, the first time blown coverage happens and the AI scores, people will be on here complaining. That and the fact I know a lot of gamers try to "game the game". Give them a true sim, even though they've asked for one, without "gimmie plays" and a little cheese, and they would be complaining. I know, my buddy is one of those that likes to "game the game". He doesn't like ESPN because he loses, and believe me, he doesn't like to lose. I think only serious "ballers" would enjoy a true sim. The average football fan doesn't know as much about the game as they think they do and the same goes for the average gamer, so I don't think they would enjoy a true sim. And yes, it would be a more complex game and most of us would find it harder...but yet more challenging. Its a great idea, I'd buy it, I just don't think it would fly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »