Home

Developer quote in Game Informer

This is a discussion on Developer quote in Game Informer within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2004, 10:40 AM   #1
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Developer quote in Game Informer

"We have a very football savvy progammer who, if I let go of the reigns completely, would make a football game so realistic that it would be the ideal game for him, but for our average consumer, it would probably be too complex and much too hard to play."

- Greg Thomas, President, Visual Concepts

So from this my understanding is that VC truly believes that they could make a hardcore simulation football game (and the same must be true for their other titles). In addition, he is basically admitting that he (and other companies I'm sure) tone down their games to please the average crowd. That's fair.

Now, I know that this is likely never to happen and I'm sure someone on this board is going to say something immature to me, but I truly believe that it would be to VC's advantage if they released two versions of their sport games.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with this and it doesn't hurt anyone. You release fewer titles of the hardcore sim version and more titles of the "lite" version that we get every year. Charge the same price. And if you want to get really difficult with it, only release hardcore sim versions to those that demand it. THis way you know exactly how many want the title and you can then produce just that.

If VC is basically saying that it can be done then what's to stop them? The average gamer? What about those that want the hardcore title? It seriously couldn't hurt to make two titles. The "lite" version would be a toned down version of the hardcore game anyway so you wouldn't be messing with too much or have to implement extra development time.

Well, that's my opinion on the matter. I think it could solve a lot of problems.

Those with the "lite" version would (or shouldn't at least) never complain about this or that being unrealistic because they knowingly bought the "lite" version. The only complaints should be from those that got the realistic game and it'll probably be complains of how hard the game is (and to that I say, tough luck. We wanted it).

I know developers come across these boards and read what we have to say. I also know that no one in SEGA would ever comment on this thread, but I'd still like to see some acknowledgement of those hardcore simmers that want a true-to-life sport experience. Obviously you can't get everything right, but based on the quote by Greg Thomas, they can make a lot of it right. So why not?
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2004, 11:07 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Developer quote in Game Informer

I'm with you Bro. I want the "Hardcore version" which is the reason why I prefer this game over Madden. A true "sim" game has yet to be released. I'm truly dying for one.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:08 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

That's SAD As much as some of the guys that work there probably want to do it, I doubt it gets done. They want to sell games, which they don't think what we want will sell as much and won't be as "fun." It's the average gamer, that perhaps far outnumbers us that prevents them from doing it. Makes you want to punch a hole in a wall LOL. What they could do however, is create two modes in the game. It would especially be great for online play. They could have a SIM lobby, and then a normal lobby. The Cheeseheads could have the normal lobby and do all their BS that they do, like putting Marvin Harrison and Edgerin James on the kick return team and all that. Then let us have our own lobby where the game plays more realistic. I know, the idea of seperation doesn't appeal that much, but, it's getting old. Not only that, I mean look at the stats for most of the online leagues. The offensive numbers are too high. The scores are too high in many cases. The tackling leaders are Safety's. It's time they did something about these issues. Of course we love the game, but something has to give.

And I have no doubts that Shawn Lee could pull it off. But sales talk on the market SUCKS. it's all about the sales

Last edited by LBzrule; 10-19-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

I still don't understand why this would even have to be two SEPARATE games. How about just a game setting/difficulty for the "hardcore" players who want the most realistic gameplay. It's not like you're changing the graphics engine or inflating the game code to a point where the two versions of the game wouldn't fit on a disc. You're just changing/adding AI routines that allow the CPU to play smarter while at the same time letting it emulate human mistakes. I've never understood why game developers/publishers find this concept of pleasing both mainstream and hardcore players so mystifying.

Bradshaw, Harris, Swann, Stallworth,
Ham, Lambert, Greenwood, Mean Joe, et al.

Black & Gold, baby!
Old 10-19-2004, 11:23 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerForLife
I still don't understand why this would even have to be two SEPARATE games. How about just a game setting/difficulty for the "hardcore" players who want the most realistic gameplay. It's not like you're changing the graphics engine or inflating the game code to a point where the two versions of the game wouldn't fit on a disc. You're just changing/adding AI routines that allow the CPU to play smarter while at the same time letting it emulate human mistakes. I've never understood why game developers/publishers find this concept of pleasing both mainstream and hardcore players so mystifying.
Exactly what I just said. They have these difficulty levels in the game, why not take one of them and say OK this is for SIM people right here. All other levels are for whoever. And with that level have the A.I performing different routines to make the game play more realistically. I love the game, but I'm tired of everytime I turn around, Linebackers do not lead their teams in tackles, Safety's do. I'm tired of non power backs like Clinton Portis charging over linebackers. That guy with all the yards he's ever amassed has never ran over a linebacker. He either goes untouched, or he made somebody miss. He is not a power runner. I could go on and on. But I'm going to go play right now LOL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

I think they are afraid to make a "Hardcore mode" because 90% of online players think they know something about football and they truly don't. A hardcore mode would show most gamers that they are dumb as a football bat. This of course would offend them deeply and cause them to switch back to MORON football. Umm excuse me, I meant Madden football.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:27 AM   #7

ChicagoChris's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerForLife
Exactly! Make a switch in the game that warns "Joe user" that if you flip this switch...this game will be hard and not play like Madden.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:35 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACDOG
I think they are afraid to make a "Hardcore mode" because 90% of online players think they know something about football and they truly don't. A hardcore mode would show most gamers that they are dumb as a football bat. This of course would offend them deeply and cause them to switch back to MORON football. Umm excuse me, I meant Madden football.
No need to attempt to characterize and offend madden players. Alot of them just like some ESPN ballers are very familiar with NFL lingo and how things are supposed to work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »