Home

Who Will Really Boycott EA and NFL?

This is a discussion on Who Will Really Boycott EA and NFL? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How Will You Deal With EA & The NFL
I will boycott EA and the NFL. 95 34.30%
I'll try to boycott EA and the NFL, but it may be hard to do when EA's NFL game comes out next year. 49 17.69%
I won't boycott EA, but I'll boycott the NFL. Except for EA's NFL Football games. 3 1.08%
It doesn't matter to me. I won't boycott EA nor the NFL. 130 46.93%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2004, 06:30 PM   #17
Rookie

MrTennessee's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Who Will Really Boycott EA and NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCanadianGuy
The best thing for people to do is, to buy the future Madden's used. That way you'll still get your NFL fix, but EA won't see any of your money. They only see the cash spent on the new version, the used copies make stores like EB money.
ah im glad you answered my question.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:49 PM   #18
All Star

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd90XB
I for one think I have the fortitude to boycott EA and the NFL. I prefer College Football anyway. I will not renew my NFL Sunday Ticket next year, nor will I purchase another EA game...not just EA Sports, but EA.

What will you do?
If you're going to boycott the NFL, you have to cut all ties. That means not watching any NFL programming regardless of channel--ESPN, CBS, FOX, ABC, etc. Sunday Ticket is just one piece of NFL property.

(Not pointed directly at you, but) I don't know if all of the people calling for boycotts of the NFL really know what that means. Do people think of sweatshops when they go to buy their Nike's? (just trying to make a comparison) Its easy to boycott EA, they are just videogame-related for the most part. The NFL has its hand in a lot more "cookie jars" than just broadcasting games.

That's why I know I can't say that I will boycott anything. I hope Sega can survive to make more games like NFL and College Hoops. I also know that I am looking forward to TimeSplitters and Fight Night. I can't boycott the NFL, hell I was watching the game last night and not once did I think about the deal the league made with EA. I understand the potential ramifications from this, but maybe it won't really sink in until the info for next year's game(s) starts coming.

*steps off of soapbox*
Old 12-14-2004, 06:51 PM   #19
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Boycott EA?definatly the NBA and NHL games cause they suck,but I must have an NFL game and MUST have NCAA football.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 12-14-2004, 06:54 PM   #20
All Star

OVR: 13

I will...but it won't really be a boycott, because I don't buy their games anyway. If Sega comes out with a college football game, I'll buy that instead of Madden since I don't have time for both a pro and college football game anyway (and prefer the college game). But if all the games get bought out by EA, I guess I'd have to cave at some point, but I'd just buy fewer games than I do now. Which may happen anyway, since I'm getting a lot busier these days...
Old 12-14-2004, 07:11 PM   #21
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

Personally I haven't bought EA games on the Xbox due to their lackluster efforts put into porting their made for PS2 titles. I have always favored Sega's sports titles and after this news I am easily prepared to keep on playing 2K5 for the life of my Xbox or see what other pigskin title Sega comes forth with (NCAA would be nice). With this news though I will also boycott any PC titles produced or published by EA - including Battlefield 2.

I am not a big college football fan but with this news I am so soured on the NFL and will give the NCAA a much better look next season. From now on the NFL will not recieve any of my money - not that I can think of any instance when I have since viewing games on TV is free and since I am not a Nelson house doesn't have an impact on their ratings. The entire No Fun League and their hypocritical ways has had its fair share of disappointing moments over the last few years so I don't think finding ammunition to dislike them will be that difficult.

It has not been hard keeping EA out of my Xbox thus far as I am mature enough to not let the hype make me think I really need this or that game - after all, its just a game. If I cannot keep my principles over a game then I have a lot bigger problems then worrying about where my next NFL fix will come from. There are a lot of good games out there to play without EA or the NFL's name on them and who knows, there might be something even better out there I just never took the time to find until now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2004, 07:16 PM   #22
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
It has not been hard keeping EA out of my Xbox thus far as I am mature enough to not let the hype make me think I really need this or that game - after all, its just a game. If I cannot keep my principles over a game then I have a lot bigger problems then worrying about where my next NFL fix will come from. There are a lot of good games out there to play without EA or the NFL's name on them and who knows, there might be something even better out there I just never took the time to find until now.
Really good points, lnin0!!! Seriously - if I feel strongly enough about something as petty as a videogame and I can't muster the effort NOT to buy it, I don't know what to tell you. It's really not that hard, and it's not an automatic as some will believe that everyone will just cave because it's the only game and we all have to have it (although I'm sure many will). I'm not saying that's right for everyone, just commenting on me and lnin0's comments directly. Also, you bring up a great point about other games I've been passing on because of sports games - can you guys believe I've never played Grand Theft Auto (any of them)!!!! I also haven't played any of the Tom Clancy games, although I keep telling myself they look awesome, and I still don't have any of the Halo's!!!! Time to start catching up.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:40 PM   #23
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

If this ends up actually happening I'll boycott both of them. I just get the feeling there will be some legal actions being taken soon.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:15 PM   #24
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
The sad reality is that people are going to cave in and buy the game. That's just the reality
Exactly. Guys are upset right now by the news but come next sept or oct, they'll be in line with everybodyelse to get their copy Madden 06. Whats funny is that alot of these dudes are still in school and deal with peer pressure....

Billy: "Hey Dave, you get that new Madden yet? It's tight as hell man"

Dave: "Nope"

Billy: "Why not?"

Dave: "I'm boycotting EASports"

Billy: "Dude...thats dumb. You're a loser." (to the rest of the lil crew) "Hey guys, This fool Dave is a loser. He's on strike against a Videogame. Thats so freakin lame. What a *******."

The crew points at Dave and laughs

Dave goes home. Logs onto OS. Opens a thread to be consoled and reassured. Nobody responds. His thread is buried beneath hundreds of topics discussing Madden 06. He Logs off. Goes to the kitchen where his mom is.

Dave: "Mom...we need to go to gamestop."

end of Dave's boycott.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »