Home

Can't Sega football

This is a discussion on Can't Sega football within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2005, 12:22 PM   #9
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Can't Sega football

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm
Make names instead of Tom Brady Say Tom Bradee???? Stuff like that..Instead of Ray Lewis say Rae Lewis...Change the names up ...That won't be violating any rules would it????
There's nothing stopping Take Two from using fake names, or similar names (as far as I know.)

EA has even crossed the line and not been sued in the past for REALLY cutting it close in terms of player names. Some old geezers like me Remember the first versions of NBA LIVE in the latter years of the 16 Bit Genesis. (1995/96/97) EA had "easter eggs" programmed in where if you'd correctly spell the rookie or non NBA Players Assoc. member into the editor, his real pre-calculated stats would magicaly appear, and he'd appear as a free agent. You'd just have to assign him to the right team. Of course, due to the old technology, the faces were generic by default.

There used to be a old PC football game that skirted the rules by using nicknames (that were editable) to identify players. Like "Snake" for the QB of the 76 Raiders, "Sweetness" as a back for the 85 Bears. But it was nice in that it helped everyone know who was who in terms of editing.

Generic faces would have to be the norm though- but an editor could fix that if it had enough varied faces and hairstyles in the game. NFL Fever 2004 had an interesting system for identifying classic player numbers too. Every player had a jersey number 1 greater than his real number- so Marino was "14", Montana was "17" etc. It helped if you wanted to edit the numbers to be correct if an editor was in place, you'd just know to subtract 1 from the jersey number, then edit from there. If any future VC football game is forced to use "wrong numbers", this may be a good approach to help the editors.

PS: Bangpow is his own man, he posts what he wants without coordinating with me and vice-versa. We are usually very different on our game choices. I also OWN him in NFL 2k5
Old 04-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #10
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangpow
Crap like this gets posted in the EA forums and people don't complain.

Very funny, indeed.

Did i piss in your Cherios or something or can you not handle criticism of your beloved ESPN game??
I warned the last ESPN fan to do this in the MAdden forums. Consider this your one and only warning doing it here. I have let a lot of this slide. That ends now.

If you have an issue with the DB AI, at least save it for a thread where that is remotely pertinent.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #11
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm
Make names instead of Tom Brady Say Tom Bradee???? Stuff like that..Instead of Ray Lewis say Rae Lewis...Change the names up ...That won't be violating any rules would it????
Likeness rights rules are funny. I think there is some reason why they can't do that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #12
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangpow
Crap like this gets posted in the EA forums and people don't complain.

Very funny, indeed.

Did i piss in your Cherios or something or can you not handle criticism of your beloved ESPN game??
Yeah - but what does that criticism have to do with the topic of this thread? Looks like an out-of-left field troll to me.

I'm sure you can't see the distinction, but it's there.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:36 PM   #13
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
BangPow and Quietcool72, the self proclaim fanboy police. Ones screen name is Bang the opposite of Quiet, so I guess its good cop, bad cop. How goes it in the legion of doom, So you don't like fanboys, well after months and months of dispariging(sp?) remarks about a "game" it is now to be a "Man" about things and let your crusade go. It has gotten old and tired.

I hope you guys are grown men, and can stay above the fray and offer solutions instead of resorting to the thing you are trying to police.
Backbreaker, I'm a bigger fan of yours than you are of me. I really enjoy reading your posts, and I think you may misunderstand me. But, whatever. I do like how you think and write.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:41 PM   #14
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Likeness rights rules are funny. I think there is some reason why they can't do that.
True. Plus I think that there's going to be a ton of legal "grey areas" created by this impending issue that will need to be addressed. Not long ago though- I saw a company (I think it was InterAct) selling CD roster updates for Madden PS1 (probably in either 2001 or 2002- I just remember the time frame). And they were selling them at EB.

I wonder if they took any heat. I haven't seen that since, but never read about anything happening to a 3rd party company selling player-name updates, roster fixes, etc.

You can bet that 2K games is making inquiries as to all options though.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
Backbreaker, I'm a bigger fan of yours than you are of me. I really enjoy reading your posts, and I think you may misunderstand me. But, whatever. I do like how you think and write.

As I said before, I think Bangpow and you have so much too offer to the Video football gaming community. I know you guys aren't "fanboys" but you guys in your quest to exposed ones bias, you taken up some of the so called fanboy attributes.

I love your articles, you take both sides of the fence and make cogent, clear and concise statements. I play all football games, and they are all flawed. Believe me Madden fans and 2K fans are aware of the flaws of the game they like. You know my stance on sportsgaming, which is I don't think any sports game should be $50 bucks after the initial purchase. The game is essentially the same game throughout the generation of that console with tweaks.

All I've been saying is take the high road. You are a great adversary when you debate good and bad of each game.

P.S. My writing sucks on the internet. I don't care for grammar, spelling and prof reading.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2005, 01:44 PM   #16
Banned

This is interesting because Winning Elevn has been doing the same thing for years.

They would name "Pele" something like "Polo" for instance. Then when you edited his name to "Pele", the commentators would say it. They even use the real likeness.

They do this with tons of real life players.

Usually within a week or two someone has a roster file to download with the correct player and team names, and edited uniforms.

If the 2k guys want a model on how to do the unlicensed thing right, they need to look no furthur then Winning Eleven.

They key is that they give the player and amazing amount of editing options.
The editor is the deepest of any sportsgame hands down (with the possible exception of Tiger woods).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »