Home

NFL2K5 - an appreciation

This is a discussion on NFL2K5 - an appreciation within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #1
All Star

OVR: 21
NFL2K5 - an appreciation

NFL2K5 is a really flawed game.

QB Spy doesn't work. There are times DBs will inexplicably slow down on fly patterns. Sometimes OL make idiotic blocking "decisions". Player movement, particularly when they run, or change directions, isn't as good as it could be. There are stat tracking issues. A personal peeve is the weather system, which I always felt should be much better for rain & snow. I could go on and on, but I'm not as well versed as many others in the problems this game has.

But I love it. Perhaps in light of the news this week, I've come to love it - and appreciate it - even more.

Maybe it's because part of me roots for the underdog. Perhaps it's because I realize how much the series has progressed since it's release on 9/9/99. Or maybe - and probably most important - it's because it gave me a taste of next gen football is THIS gen of football.

Like most everyone, at the beginning of the week I was pretty excited about possibly getting to see the next-gen Madden this weekend. But my excitement has waned considerably with the news that we really won't be seeing actual gameplay - leaving us free to speculate for another month on how the game will actually look and play (IF it's in a playable form at E3). Bummer.

Could it be that much of the excitement of Madden's potential is built on what NFL2K5 has already established can be done? For me, that is the case.

The OL/DL interaction can be a thing of absolute beauty. I've watched 3yd cloud of dust replays over and over just because of what happened in the trenches. Even when there was no big need for it, VC revised the way WRs/DBs interact. There have been times where I've seen a DB fight off a WR block, only to see that WR run and try to attempt a chip block on a LB. DB stances show DBs for what many are - cocky, overconfident, showy. On defense, I love being able to "stalk" before a play; slight movement of the analog stick makes your player move so realistically. Post play action is near perfect. Players flipping the ball to refs, talking to their teammates, helping a member from the other team up, sometimes pushing and shoving after the play... I love watching the reactions of the players on the sidelines - everything from the players & coaches, to the camera men. How about the guys w/the 35mm near the endzone repositioning themselves during plays? Stadiums are extremely well done, giving you the feel of being in a huge stadium with 60,000+ fans. The QB throwing anim improvements are in a word, great.

Remember when VIP was announced and people said there was no way it could mimic a human player's movement... then it did. Gamecast - able to replay the entire game from your HD. Holdover improvements from 2K4 - how underrated is FPF? The realistic playcalling setup that no other game has, from real QB drops to the way audibles are implemented. Even a detail like the refs, which I detailed in a thread a while back (even went back and found it - An ode to the referees of 2K4 - directional perfection?).

A few weeks ago I purchased a Action Replay and downloaded _complex's sliders and rosters. Although I'm sure there were massive tweaks, and it doesn't fix all of the game's inherent issues, the game plays even more fantastic. Not sure why I wanted to say this, but just wanted to show an appreciation for the game that I believe is part of the reason we look to the next-gen with anticipation. As much as I've typed, there were so many features and enhancements I didn't even touch on. I'm disappointed to not know what VC's plans are next gen, but in a way I also can't help but give them a pass on whatever they decide to do. NFL2K5 showed TREMENDOUS potential, that has to go unrealized. To me the game will forever be underappreciated for what it did in the now, and for where it showed us videogame football could go in the future.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 13
Re: NFL2K5 - an appreciation

Well said!

NFL2K5 is the sole reason for my XBox purchase. I STILL play this game against my buddies online and off. It really is a beautiful looking game and one that I still enjoy playing.

BigBlue
Old 04-22-2005, 08:55 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 18

Good post Spank. I have purposely stopped playing 2k5 since the news about ea and the killing of competition, reason being I firmly believe that 2k5 will still be better than madden 2006. So, I will not purchase madden this year, I will still enjoy the best football game out next season...that was made last season. When the next generation football games drop, we will see what ea does. I don't fall for ea's hype, I want to see actual results(this statement is made in regards to the pics being shown on the madden forum). Sometimes I think some of those posters work for ea. Well, again good post Spank, 2k5 was by far ahead of its time.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Yeah, nice post. Gamecast rocks (especially on the Xbox where I can replay any play).

I am also planning on playing 2K5 for another year. I still have tons of stuff to unlock.

I am still hoping that they give a "Winning Eleven" shot at football with the next gen. It would be a shame to lose what they have build over the last 6 years.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:55 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

ESPN 2K Football will live on like Biggie, Tupac, Elvis, Hendrix and all those whose careers were cut short. This is good! Now Madden will have to chase a ghost based on the fact of what people think ESPN "could have done"? ESPN series will be more famous...post-humously
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2005, 11:10 PM   #6
Old School

MachoMyers's Arena

OVR: 20

Good post

I had been away from the 2k series since 2k1 when i bought a PS2 but 2k5 had me hooked from the beginning and was the game of the year in my book
Old 04-23-2005, 08:08 AM   #7
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

The game has so many cool points to it, but for me, it also has a lot of negatives. No doubt that I'll remember this game though (and 2k4 as well) for what it brought to the table. It just flat out sucks that they can't make another NFL game again for the next couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »