Home

QB play in VC's next game...

This is a discussion on QB play in VC's next game... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 4
QB play in VC's next game...

Well, of course Madden is out and all the talk will be about the new QB vision feature. I haven't played Madden yet, but when VC comes out with their next football game, I was thinking about how they could implement more realism in the QB play as EA has at least attempted to do.

Here's what I've come up with. Some stuff like throwing power would remain the same, obviously. Tell me what you think and please offer suggestions to improve. I think VC listens around here...

QB Accuracy (now would have 3 categories)

• Short passes

• Medium passes

• Long passes

QB Throwing Power (how far he can throw)

QB Delivery (how much "zip" is on the ball)

• The higher the number, the quicker the release (the actual speed and efficiency of the throwing animation).

QB Awareness

• QB is automatically faced towards primary receiver after the snap. If you decide to throw to another receiver, then the awareness of the QB affects how quickly you are able to do this (for example: a QB with a low awareness rating cannot simply fire the ball across the field if that is not his primary receiver. Instead, when the button is pressed the QB will have to “set up” to make his throw. The higher the rating, the quicker he can do this. By nature, the QB would not have to set up as much if his alternate receiver is in the same vicinity of the primary receiver).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: QB play in VC's next game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberstabone

QB Accuracy (now would have 3 categories)

• Short passes

• Medium passes

• Long passes

QB Throwing Power (how far he can throw)

QB Delivery (how much "zip" is on the ball)

• The higher the number, the quicker the release (the actual speed and efficiency of the throwing animation).
How about touch, the ability to drop the ball in, over a defender. Also let stamina affect passing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberstabone
QB Awareness

• QB is automatically faced towards primary receiver after the snap. If you decide to throw to another receiver, then the awareness of the QB affects how quickly you are able to do this (for example: a QB with a low awareness rating cannot simply fire the ball across the field if that is not his primary receiver. Instead, when the button is pressed the QB will have to “set up” to make his throw. The higher the rating, the quicker he can do this. By nature, the QB would not have to set up as much if his alternate receiver is in the same vicinity of the primary receiver).
If you do this, you would have to have a way for the user to turn the qb's head and a way to know where your qb is looking. Here's my idea: only show icons for the receivers in the qb's field of view. Bold, for receivers in the direct line of site and watermarks for those in the peripheral. If the icon is showing, 1 push of that button will pass to that receiver. If you want to throw to a receiver on another part of the field, you push to button of that receiver and the qb turns in that direction, the icon shows up and you have to hit the button again to pass. Before you hit the button to turn, the icon isn't showing so you have to remember the buttons your receivers are mapped to.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelaz1966
How about touch, the ability to drop the ball in, over a defender. Also let stamina affect passing.

If you do this, you would have to have a way for the user to turn the qb's head and a way to know where your qb is looking. Here's my idea: only show icons for the receivers in the qb's field of view. Bold, for receivers in the direct line of site and watermarks for those in the peripheral. If the icon is showing, 1 push of that button will pass to that receiver. If you want to throw to a receiver on another part of the field, you push to button of that receiver and the qb turns in that direction, the icon shows up and you have to hit the button again to pass. Before you hit the button to turn, the icon isn't showing so you have to remember the buttons your receivers are mapped to.
I was thinking about touch, but didn't post it. Good idea. I was thinking that such a rating could determine the effectiveness of the lob vs. bullet passes. If QB Touch is low then it's harder for that QB to lob passes over defenders heads. The buttons would be less responsive.

I think your idea about the bold vs. watermark icons would work. Basically, I just want there to be a delay in going from primary to secondary receiver. Visually, you'd actually see the QB turning and setting up. The way you've described it, you would need to hit the button twice, that's fine. I like the way you have to remember the receiver assignments, but maybe only on the harder difficulty levels. Standard could have it so that all recievers are visible "watermarks" except the primary receiver who you start off "locked" on. If you want to pass to the watermark receiver, then you hit the button once to "turn and set up" (now HIS icon is bold) and again to throw it. You would need to do this equally with all QB's, the difference being that QB's with high Awareness will physically "turn and set up" quicker.

This way, you couldn't "master" the system. I've already heard people saying that they've gotten pretty quick in moving the vision cone in Madden even with bad QB's.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
Rookie

Sounds good to me. Now if we could get VC to program, and test it for their next game, it would be a good start.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

how about fixing the scrambling rating. CPU OB's do not scramble nearly enough even with the scramble rating at 99. Severely lowering composure I heard helps, but it turns the QB into an INT and sack magnet at times.

unless I am missing something, how can you make the QB's scramble more in 2K5?

Last edited by augustus; 08-10-2005 at 02:53 PM. Reason: left out something
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2005, 03:21 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus
how about fixing the scrambling rating. CPU OB's do not scramble nearly enough even with the scramble rating at 99. Severely lowering composure I heard helps, but it turns the QB into an INT and sack magnet at times.

unless I am missing something, how can you make the QB's scramble more in 2K5?
I don't know. But if you played online, you would get sick of the qb scramble.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 13

Perhaps a QB 'style' similar to RB style (Power, Balanced, Finesse).

Pure Pocket Passer (Statue: Bledsoe, Kerry Collins, Peyton Manning)

Balanced (Favre, Brady, Pennington)

Scrambler or Mobile (Vick, McNabb, Culpepper).

BigBlue
Old 08-10-2005, 03:54 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue
Perhaps a QB 'style' similar to RB style (Power, Balanced, Finesse).

Pure Pocket Passer (Statue: Bledsoe, Kerry Collins, Peyton Manning)

Balanced (Favre, Brady, Pennington)

Scrambler or Mobile (Vick, McNabb, Culpepper).

BigBlue

There ya go! Hmmm, it's not there when you create a player? What happens when you create a QB (I've never done it). But this would be good for CPU QB's.

Great suggestion! I hope VC is sees this thread. If it dies, I'll revitalize it in a few months, lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »