Home

Interest in a non-licensed game?

This is a discussion on Interest in a non-licensed game? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2005, 12:24 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Interest in a non-licensed game?

Ok, I'll put out a feeler here, see what interest is among football gamers who playing a football game not Madden is something that's reasonable.

What would be the interest in a PC football game that wouldn't be licensed(obviously). I'd say picture a franchise mode that was probably the most in depth of any actual game out there. Contracts with incentives, stories of players that affect the league(think something like a T.O holdout), etc. Wouldn't want it so it was playing with a spreadsheet all day, but more in depth than either 2k or EA brought out so far.

For the on field play, it would be a little different in terms of what 2k and EA have. A solid 2D engine, with crisp and clear graphics and animations. Also have a solid AI package to go with it. So no to 3d models with more polygons than blades of grass on the field. But something that had a very tight play control mechanic, with fluid animations.

Also have it customizable as one could make it. Team, league and player edits, as well as edits to some rules of the game(NFL's 4 downs vs. CFL's 3).

Would this be a game that would be worthy of your $20-$30?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Interest in a non-licensed game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenite
Ok, I'll put out a feeler here, see what interest is among football gamers who playing a football game not Madden is something that's reasonable.

What would be the interest in a PC football game that wouldn't be licensed(obviously). I'd say picture a franchise mode that was probably the most in depth of any actual game out there. Contracts with incentives, stories of players that affect the league(think something like a T.O holdout), etc. Wouldn't want it so it was playing with a spreadsheet all day, but more in depth than either 2k or EA brought out so far.

For the on field play, it would be a little different in terms of what 2k and EA have. A solid 2D engine, with crisp and clear graphics and animations. Also have a solid AI package to go with it. So no to 3d models with more polygons than blades of grass on the field. But something that had a very tight play control mechanic, with fluid animations.

Also have it customizable as one could make it. Team, league and player edits, as well as edits to some rules of the game(NFL's 4 downs vs. CFL's 3).

I have plans to develop a new football game engine for the PC . It will take a long time and effort to complete this task
Old 08-26-2005, 12:33 AM   #3
All Star

Personally, I play football games to play the games - i.e. control the players, execute plays, etc. I'm really ultimately uninterested in franchise modes/the business aspect of football, which is why I gravitated toward 2K in the first place - despite the franchise flaws. It flat-out played a better game of football on the field. Sports managment games I'm not that high on.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 25

just buy Blitz. It look sick this year. Completely redone.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
My preference would a customizable game where players and uniforms could be edited. But I am also aware that a very small % of the gaming community has the knowledge and patience to go out and find roster files and import them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2005, 10:54 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
My preference would a customizable game where players and uniforms could be edited. But I am also aware that a very small % of the gaming community has the knowledge and patience to go out and find roster files and import them.
Arent those known as Madden fans? I think all true nfl 2k fans wuld get a customizable fball game due to the gameplay of it.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

After this many years of 3D football, people would be real hesitant to buy a 2D sprite based football game. What you are proposing sounds like Football Pro from back in the day, except with better player control.

I'd be interested to a degree, but to be perfectly honest- 3D cards being as standard as they are- I don't see a 2D football game as an option that is too viable for anyone other than hard-core guys.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:46 AM   #8
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
After this many years of 3D football, people would be real hesitant to buy a 2D sprite based football game. What you are proposing sounds like Football Pro from back in the day, except with better player control.

I'd be interested to a degree, but to be perfectly honest- 3D cards being as standard as they are- I don't see a 2D football game as an option that is too viable for anyone other than hard-core guys.

Well, considering people still play Tecmo Super Bowl with updated rosters, I'm sure there'd be some interest in a GOOD playing 2d game. But.. chances are that's not going to happen.

There is a 3D game called Maximum Football that seems to be stuck in developement, but it was supposed to have options for NFL, CFL or Arena rules. Looks like it could be interesting if it ever gets released.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »