Home

I got Vick to run...

This is a discussion on I got Vick to run... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2005, 09:32 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: I got Vick to run...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
That’s what I did with the roster I’m currently using to test all this. Another thing I did is edit both D Tackle ratings along with RB Break Tackle ratings, which gives the running game a lot more variety and realism, plus makes the Tackle and Pursuit sliders useful (no more lowering them to below 10). Here’s the basic formula I’m using right now. And note that these are ‘average’ player ratings. Stars can have their ratings bumped up quite a bit higher, which then makes it really important to know and take into consideration where someone like an Urlacher or Ray Lewis is on the field at all times:

O Line and DT’s – Speed 15-30, Agility 15, Tackle 15 (for DT’s)
DE’s – Speed 25-40, Agility 25, Tackle 25
LB’s – Speed 45-65, Agility 45, Tackle 35
FS’s & SS’s – Speed 75-80, Agility 60, Tackle 25-35
CB’s – Speed 80-85, Agility 75, Tackle 15

Not that people probably care, but a cool thing about these edits is they make the CPU-CPU games in particular look 100% better. The lower Agility gets rid of many the jerky animations, and the game and player movements look a lot more life-like.

Your base is a bit lower than mine in most areas, but that might be a good thing...more variety if gameplay as you watch/play. As you said previously, there really needs to be a large gap between ratings to see a difference. A speed rating of 90 vs 80 doesn't mean much...

C
Old 12-02-2005, 10:02 AM   #18
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Good finds guys. I think I'll try out creating a Run heavy playbook for Vick but I cant go along with the ratings. I would like to adjust ratings but I gotta look out for rookies and such for future seasons. Would be a good thing to do if you were looking to play 1 season and reset. Plus you gotta consider controlling players vs the AI controlling players. The D may look good in a cpu vs cpu game but human controlling should make the pursuit look more varied. I know for me, I like to control a DE or a LB so some human error would allow Vick to break better runs on me.

Anyways, nice find. Just like the NBA game, the playbooks are the answer.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #19
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Good finds guys. I think I'll try out creating a Run heavy playbook for Vick but I cant go along with the ratings. I would like to adjust ratings but I gotta look out for rookies and such for future seasons. Would be a good thing to do if you were looking to play 1 season and reset. Plus you gotta consider controlling players vs the AI controlling players. The D may look good in a cpu vs cpu game but human controlling should make the pursuit look more varied. I know for me, I like to control a DE or a LB so some human error would allow Vick to break better runs on me.

Anyways, nice find. Just like the NBA game, the playbooks are the answer.
The Gamesave Editor allows you to edit the rookies in franchise files as well (better yet, you can change the ratings of the draft class before the draft, which could also help with the drafting problem).
Old 12-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #20
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
The Gamesave Editor allows you to edit the rookies in franchise files as well (better yet, you can change the ratings of the draft class before the draft, which could also help with the drafting problem).

Finn, I've heard so many great things about your editors. I still have'nt got around to getting a AR and I can see from your post as well as many others that I'm completely missing out. I need to get on the ball. From the looks of it, I haven't even seen what these 2K games are capable of yet. I promise I'll be sharing you guys enjoyment soon.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:44 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I tried that this morning with 2K5. I took candyman’s roster and changed Vick’s Pass Read rating to 10. Then I played a half of football – fifteen minute quarters, CPU Falcons vs CPU Falcons – with the same sliders I used previously along with the Falcons default playbook. Results:

Vick #1: 1 carry for 7 yards, 10 for 23 passing with 1 INT
Vick #2: 1 carry for 8 yards, 8 for 18 passing with 3 INT’s

So there are several issues here. First off, Pass Read is a critical QB rating when it comes to completion percentages. The CPU passing in 2K5 is already bad enough, but if the Pass Read rating is anything less than 80 or so, QB’s will rarely end up with more than a 50% completion rating, and usually a lot lower than that.

Second, it’s my belief that low Pass Read ratings are a contributing factor to both the goofy sideways ‘QB misfire’ passes and all the INT’s that plague the game. Yesterday with Vick’s Pass Read up, he threw a combined 1 INT. Plus I don’t recall any passes that looked like those ridiculous sideways tosses that miss the receiver – who’s a mere 7-8 yards upfield – by several yards. I saw plenty of those tosses this morning with Vick’s Pass Read at 10.

Another observation: combined, 55% of the plays in those two quarters were pass plays. In real life though, the Falcons run the ball 70-75% of the time. Obviously the playbooks need adjusting, as the CPU Falcons will run the ball more if one removes a number of pass plays from the Falcons book, and maybe even inserts more running plays as well.

Most important: not once did I get the sense that I was watching the NFL’s most explosive player. He was simply another QB who dropped back to pass, and on two occasions ran up the middle for a short gain and then slid down, just short of the marker on one occasion and just past it on the other. That could have been Drew Bledsoe, give or take a yard or two. I don’t even recall one Roll Out pass play – I mean, he didn’t look or perform any different than any other of the many QB’s in this game. And that’s what I’m after I guess: making him and other players, play like their real-life counterparts.

As I stated before, one problem is the playbook, and now I see there’s even more reason to edit that. The other is that the other D players in the game are simply too good. Their ratings in relationship to a player like Vick are too high, to put it in simplest terms. Vick’s 90+ Speed and 90+ Agility does not translate into a programming advantage that will allow him to break it for big runs. He gets stopped almost every time by the 80+ Speed and 80+ Agility linebackers – and that’s if he even gets by the 70+ Speed and 70+ Agility D-line.
i forgot to mention also lower cpu blocking to about 5-7 clicks. for some strange that opens the running lanes up and he will take off more often.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2005, 08:38 AM   #22
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

I found raising the qb's aggressive rating makes them stand in the pocket closer to the offensive line and they will look for passing lanes and running lanes if they are pressured. The game rates all qb's with a 24 aggressive rating and they all drop back the same distance when passing. When I raised Peyton Manning and Michael Vick's aggressive rating, they did not drop back as much and were "inside" the pocket more. I raised Vick's aggressive rating to 99 and he would setup in the pocket and look for a running/pasing lane to see where his receivers are. Try it.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:04 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
I raised Vick's aggressive rating to 99 and he would setup in the pocket and look for a running/pasing lane to see where his receivers are. Try it.
I will. Thanks
Old 12-06-2005, 10:21 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 26

Just an update on my “Getting Vick to Run” playbook. Unfortunately, there’s a major problem with the CPU’s play selection, in that it NEVER chooses a Bootleg play unless it’s the ONLY play in the formation. There are maybe 15 formations with Bootleg plays. If I make a custom playbook and add one of those formations and the one single Bootleg play in the formation, the CPU will choose that play and run it, and will actually choose it fairly often. But the moment I add even a second play to the formation, the CPU as I said will never choose the Bootleg play when it accesses that formation.

I say “never”, although I’ve only tested a few games. But it’s like night and day. In games with just the Bootleg play in certain formation(s), the CPU QB will run the ball up to 20 times a game. In games with more plays added to those formation(s), the CPU QB has yet to run the ball, even once, except for broken pass plays, etc.

The other complication is that there’s a glitch in the custom playbooks. If you create a new playbook from scratch, there’s a glitch where the entire D will sometimes suddenly blitz, leaving all the O’s receivers completely open for the easy TD. So you can’t use that option to create a play book: you have to edit some team’s book (the glitch doesn’t happen with team books for some reason). But you always have to have at least one run play and one pass play in any formation when you edit a team’s book. So, no way to have formations with just one single Bootleg play in it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »