Home

Don't get too excited...but we could see another NFL 2k game for Next Gen.

This is a discussion on Don't get too excited...but we could see another NFL 2k game for Next Gen. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #25
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Don't get too excited...but we could see another NFL 2k game for Next Gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Sorry, I should have clarified - I meant no NFL video games. If it came down to needing individual players permission to use their names, I'm worried that the video game companies might say "screw it".

Whatever happens, this is outside the realm of the video game industry right now - everything that happens regarding the games is going to hinge on how the NFL solves their problem.

I have to wonder if EA saw this coming, and weighed their exclusive deal against that possiiblity. Because right now Take-Two's deal is looking a whole lot better.
Oh okay. That makes sense. You had me scratching my head there for a sec.

I think the NFL will get the deal done by Sunday. They'll realize that there's enough money for everyone (except fans) involved to be happy. Cooler heads will prevail.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2006, 08:02 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 1

Actually if this deal doesn't go through then the exclusive NFL license is pretty much void because the individual teams are their own companies and Players Inc is its own company and the NFL is it's own company. The CBA brings Players Inc and the individual teams back under the NFL making it one unified company so VC could get license from each team owner and one with Players Inc to make a licensed game. The only thing would be that it couldn't have NFL in the title AND the new rookies most likely wouldn't join Players Inc so each new rookie would have to be individually put under contract.

This is from what I gather from reading at least.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFL_2K_Fan
Actually if this deal doesn't go through then the exclusive NFL license is pretty much void because the individual teams are their own companies and Players Inc is its own company and the NFL is it's own company. The CBA brings Players Inc and the individual teams back under the NFL making it one unified company so VC could get license from each team owner and one with Players Inc to make a licensed game. The only thing would be that it couldn't have NFL in the title AND the new rookies most likely wouldn't join Players Inc so each new rookie would have to be individually put under contract.

This is from what I gather from reading at least.
Not quite right. The teams and the NFL are rolled up into one license and that would be unaffected by the CBA so you couldn't sign with individual teams without going through the NFL license itself. The players are separate and if the union were to decertify then you'd have to sign licenses with individual players, as was mentionned before.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:09 AM   #28
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
Not quite right. The teams and the NFL are rolled up into one license and that would be unaffected by the CBA so you couldn't sign with individual teams without going through the NFL license itself. The players are separate and if the union were to decertify then you'd have to sign licenses with individual players, as was mentionned before.
Exactly. The teams/stadiums/mascots etc... are rolled into the NFL license.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:00 AM   #29
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

so I guess EA would keep the nfl contract and use the replacements as players.... hoping the strike would eventually end... EA would be dumb to void NFL contract.... such as it is...
Old 03-04-2006, 08:39 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 10

This NFL CBA problem can't help VC open any doors for a new Football game with NFL players. EA's deal is a package deal. Even though the NFL and NFLPA don't have a CBA doesn't mean they can go their sepparate ways.

People aren't as mad with VC and their MLB contract as they are with EA and their NFL and NFLPA contract. VC has it where 1st party developers (Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo) can still make MLB games. In EA's case nobody but them can make NFL games.

Without a new CBA the NFL will suck as about as much as Baseball. It sucks to know if you root for a small market team they will never afford and have enough talent to win the whole thing. The Salary Cap gave every team a change to compete in the NFL.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #31
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeist

Without a new CBA the NFL will suck as about as much as Baseball. It sucks to know if you root for a small market team they will never afford and have enough talent to win the whole thing. The Salary Cap gave every team a change to compete in the NFL.

well it could also backfire on the players too, No minimum salary.. the NFL could make any rules they want.. they could set a max salary.. 500 thousand plus incentives...Face it if your Sean Taylor where else are you gonna work and make a half a mil..hes either playing ball or slanging rocks

they could set any price they want.. and say play here or go to the CFL...

I think if it goes down the Owners will be the winners in this..they could make a gentlemans agreement not to make waves and give too much to players...its their league

It could be very interesting.. contracts actually based on performance not huge bonus to spread out...I want the players to get screwed.. they make too much already for playing a game..

I work in retail I am a manager.. if I went to work and demanded more money from the company they'd hire someone else...

what the players forget is they are workers

*** only thing I am for in all of this is benes for the disabled players in the league im not completely heartless..lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2006, 03:30 AM   #32
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano
well it could also backfire on the players too, No minimum salary.. the NFL could make any rules they want.. they could set a max salary.. 500 thousand plus incentives...Face it if your Sean Taylor where else are you gonna work and make a half a mil..hes either playing ball or slanging rocks

they could set any price they want.. and say play here or go to the CFL...

I think if it goes down the Owners will be the winners in this..they could make a gentlemans agreement not to make waves and give too much to players...its their league

It could be very interesting.. contracts actually based on performance not huge bonus to spread out...I want the players to get screwed.. they make too much already for playing a game..

I work in retail I am a manager.. if I went to work and demanded more money from the company they'd hire someone else...

what the players forget is they are workers

*** only thing I am for in all of this is benes for the disabled players in the league im not completely heartless..lol
Well players look at it as they don't make nearly as much as basketball and baseball players and you also must realize that the amount of time they can play football is a lot less than in baseball or basketball so they want as much money as they can get and let it last them for their lives.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »