Home

EA bought the rights to NFL legends, too

This is a discussion on EA bought the rights to NFL legends, too within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2006, 02:59 AM   #49
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: EA bought the rights to NFL legends, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
I'm not surprised at all that EA purchased the rights to 150+ NFL Legends. After all, this is the same company that purchsed the NFL, NCAA, AFL, NASCAR and PGA licenses and even tried to buy the NBA license. I'm still shocked that the CFL isnt a part of it yet.

And yes, I do believe that EA buying out all the football related licenses were done for the sole purpose of preventing VC from developing any football related video game because EA knows that VC can crush them like a bug because quite simply, EA doesnt have the originality or innovation to compete with VC. But, I personally dont care. I'll just keep updating 2k5 until im sick of playing it, VC can develop 2k11 or if EA actually buys out Take Two and uses VC to develop Madden.

That, I wouldnt mind seeing. VC's gameplay, commentary, graphics and player models plus Madden's franchise mode, player / team editing and management stuff = the greatest football game of all time. But, whatever.

EA = Buyout Everything
Exactly...!!!

I have yet to see anything that beats 2k5 to this day...!!! just reading MN and the OS madden forum confirms this...
Old 05-16-2006, 03:15 AM   #50
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTNING
The government needs to step in and stop EA. We need a socalist activist government that will bring corporate justice and reform. All the corporate corruption and deception must end and government must deny some freedom and rights. I think a government imposed revenue tax would be welcome. Take 50% of EA total revenue and sales and redistrute a third of it to competitors and use the rest to pay off the government decifit. I think a corporate revenue tax is coming in the not too distant future. To preserve competition the government should deny everyone from using any license.
lol turn your computer off.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 2

Even still I tip my hat to VC and Take Two. They were really competing. Feature for feature, a robust online offering and they even cut their price, were taking losses to grab market share. When EA saw the impact on their sales they said ENOUGH..opened up their vault and dropped the hammer. THey didnt have to buy VC...they only had to buy the NFL and they were squashed. EA bowed out..they didnt want to compete..hmm..or maybe they COULDNT compete..the only game we are left this now is the distant 2nd place loser..dang..this whole lack of info and advancement with Madden 07 just has me down..this sucks..football and FPS was really all I would play..oh well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2006, 06:05 PM   #52
MVP

OVR: 16

^^^^^^^^

let go man, let it go...and the NFL approached the gaming companies for the license.

|Washington Redskins| |Alabama Crimson Tide| |Boston Redsox| |Georgetown Hoyas|

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedy
My September 15th glitch is still broken even after downloading the latest patch... I won't be purchasing another one of your titles again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep316
You moron they didn't even put out a patch yet.
LMAO
Old 05-22-2006, 10:42 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin
and the NFL approached the gaming companies for the license.
LMFAO. Yeah right. I'm a diehard 2k fan (hell, im anti-EA and have been since the days of SNES and GEN) and while the ESPN NFL 2k series is dead in general, ESPN NFL 2k7 (oops, I mean 2k5) lives on. Unlike a lot of people who think that they dont have a choice, I do. I choose to play 2k5 which not only blows away Madden 2005 and 2006, it also blows away Madden 360 (and yes, I played it. EA should have just went straight to 2007 but when you're a greedy money hungry company, quality doesnt nor will it ever matter) in every possible way imagineable. It's actually sad that a 2 year old obsolete and dead football game can still crush the crap out of the series that gets minor tweaks here and there every year.

What's truly sad is all the Madden fanboys who continue to support EA despite half-assed rushed efforts on a yearly basis. EA barely tried when they had competition, now there's no reason for them to even barely try. Look at Madden 360, its basically Madden 2002 but with better graphics. All EA is going to do is "re-introduce" everything that has already been done since 2002 on PS2/Xbox/GC. In other words, those who plan to buy Madden 360 every year will basically be paying $60 for something that they have already played several years earlier. And these arent my words, they are staright from EA themselves. Go check out the Game Informer issue from 2005 that has an interview with them regarding the future of the Madden (and their other sports franchises) series on next gen systems. I dont remember which month it was but its definitely a fact as I have the actual issue. I'm just to lazy to look for it.

What's even sadder is that with no competition, you would think that EA would have done something for their loyal unrespected and underappreciated fans when they released Madden 2006. That something is releasing the game for $20. Sure, EA will probably lose money but when you have no competition, they could have handled the loss easily. Think about it - EA has no competition and what do they do? They continue to rip off their loyal fans. The same loyal fans that have been with them for 15 years.

See, that's the difference between EA and (at the time) Sega. Sure, we all know that Madden 2003 and 2004 crushed 2k3 and 2k4 in sales with 2k4 doing worse then 2k3 but with 2k5, Sega let Take Two (aka TT) have complete and total control with marketing. TT knew that in order for 2k5 to compete with Madden, it had to do three things -

1) Release 2k5 before Madden.
2) Release 2k5 with a $20 MSRP.
3) Build a larger fanbase for the future of the series.

TT succeeded in all three. 2k5 sold more copies then the previous two years combined. Sega was willing to lose money (unlike EA) in order for TT to build a larger and loyal fanbase for the series. The ultimate goal for TT was to build a larger loyal fanbase with 2k5 and have it grow with 2k6 (which by the way was officially announced by TT to be released at $20 again and be released a month or so before Madden) in order to establish a huge loyal fanbase heading into Next Gen. That was the ultimate goal set by TT.

2k5 impacted EA's projected sales for Madden 2005 and even hurt it's marketshare. 2k5 was outsold 3-1 by Madden 2005 and while you may think that's good, its not when you consider that 2k3 was outsold 8-1 and 2k4 was outsold something like 15-1. With 2k5 impacting EA's Madden series for the first time since NFL GameDay 97 and 98 on PSone, EA was crapping their pants in fear.

EA lowered Madden only three months later after release to $30 MSRP. Hell, EA lowered their entire sports lineup to $30. In the history of Madden, never has the series been decreased in price before the 10 month period which was always done due to EA's fiscal year or something like that.

Then, TT officially announced that 2k6 would be released once again a month before Madden and at $20. TT was going to extremes which they needed to do. Madden fanboys claim that 2k is not good yet never even played it (and 5 minutes doesnt count) because they were unwilling to face their possible fears that 2k might actually be better then Madden (which it is and always has been - hell, from Montana to Tecmo to GameDay to 2k, the competition has always been the better football game - its just that when you have a series for 15 years and have so many loyal fanboys who fear change, its hard to get the fanbase you not only should have and deserve, but have earned with a superior product).

Shortly after TT's announcement regarding 2k6, the EA/NFL exclusive deal happens. Of course, a lot of people think that the license was up for bid. It wasnt. 989 studios which was working on GameDay's return for last year didnt even know about any such license being up for bid. Microsoft who had planned on bringing back Fever for 360 was also in shock because they were unaware of any such bidding. And these are facts straight from 989 and Microsoft themselves. Everyone knows that if there ever was a bidding war, Microsoft would blow away the rest combined.

A lot of people think that Take Two bid on the NFL license. To bad that's complete bullcrap. Here's why - Take Two would have no reason to bid on the exclusive NFL license for one simple reason - they would have no use for it. See, at the time of the EA/NFL deal, Sega still owned Visual Concepts (2k's developer) and the 2k series brand. Sammy who had purchased 52% of Sega's shares of stock long before the deal was ever made had majority control. Sammy had no interest or intention on buying the NFL license. A few months later, Sega (from demands by Sammy) sold VC and the 2k sports brand to Take Two Interactive.

The biggest factor in the entire EA/NFL conspiracy is this. EA had offered to buy the exclusive NFL and NFLPA licenses in 2002 and again in 2003 but the NFL declined. The reason the NFL declined was because at the time they were making more money by selling the licenses to Sega, EA and whoever else made an NFL game of any sort. The NFL was also using 2k3 and 2k4's sales disasters as leverage for even more money. EA knew that they had to pay whatever the NFL wanted at the time while the 2k series was still around. Basically, the NFL used the failing 2k series to up its price to EA. EA knowing that they couldnt afford to not get the license in time for Madden to be released in August annually had to pay whatever they wanted.

Once TT marketed 2k5 (and 2k6) at $20 and impacted EA's sales figures and marketshare, the NFL stepped in by offering the exclusive license to EA. See, no company ever had a chance in hell of acquiring the exclusive NFL license because the NFL and EA were pretty much up each other's *** for years. John Madden doesnt work for the NFL directly but he does have a lot of influence and leverage (despite being a crappy commentator for years in reality and in-game) in the league. After all, the Madden series itself is actually inducted into the NFL's Hall of Fame. Now, how a video game gets inducted is beyond me (well, not really) but what's even more amazing is that fact that if any football game should be in the NFL's Hall of Fame, it should be the original Tecmo Bowl for NES but that's just me.

Here's another little fact that few people know about. After all this was done, the NFL went on record saying that 2k5's $20 price tag (and the future 2k6) "cheapened" its licenses. If that's not the most bullcrap thing that I have ever read, I dont know what is. The funny part about that statement was that it proved the EA/NFL deal was a conspiracy from the start and even possibly, years in the making.

Think about it - if you were in charge of running the NFL, would you think that 2k5 selling at $20 while surpassing 2k3 and 2k4's sales combined cheapened your license or the fact that both 2k3 and 2k4 selling at $50 were not only outsold by 2k5 combined a year later but also were outsold at ratio's of 8-1 and 15-1 respectively?

Maybe, its just me but the sales figures of 2k3 and 2k4 would cheapen the NFL license a lot more then 2k5 ever did. After all, its all about market share and building a huge loyal fanbase which in the end, is why EA's Madden series still exists.

But oh well, I have 2k5 for Xbox, my laptop PC, my Action Replay and Finn's editor. I dont need to rent, buy or even play Madden when I already have 2k6 and come September after final cuts are made, I'll have 2k7. Best of all, its not costing me a damn thing to do except my free time.

Sorry about the long post.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #54
MVP

xrams's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
LMFAO. Yeah right. I'm a diehard 2k fan (hell, im anti-EA and have been since the days of SNES and GEN) and while the ESPN NFL 2k series is dead in general, ESPN NFL 2k7 (oops, I mean 2k5) lives on. Unlike a lot of people who think that they dont have a choice, I do. I choose to play 2k5 which not only blows away Madden 2005 and 2006, it also blows away Madden 360 (and yes, I played it. EA should have just went straight to 2007 but when you're a greedy money hungry company, quality doesnt nor will it ever matter) in every possible way imagineable. It's actually sad that a 2 year old obsolete and dead football game can still crush the crap out of the series that gets minor tweaks here and there every year.

What's truly sad is all the Madden fanboys who continue to support EA despite half-assed rushed efforts on a yearly basis. EA barely tried when they had competition, now there's no reason for them to even barely try. Look at Madden 360, its basically Madden 2002 but with better graphics. All EA is going to do is "re-introduce" everything that has already been done since 2002 on PS2/Xbox/GC. In other words, those who plan to buy Madden 360 every year will basically be paying $60 for something that they have already played several years earlier. And these arent my words, they are staright from EA themselves. Go check out the Game Informer issue from 2005 that has an interview with them regarding the future of the Madden (and their other sports franchises) series on next gen systems. I dont remember which month it was but its definitely a fact as I have the actual issue. I'm just to lazy to look for it.

What's even sadder is that with no competition, you would think that EA would have done something for their loyal unrespected and underappreciated fans when they released Madden 2006. That something is releasing the game for $20. Sure, EA will probably lose money but when you have no competition, they could have handled the loss easily. Think about it - EA has no competition and what do they do? They continue to rip off their loyal fans. The same loyal fans that have been with them for 15 years.

See, that's the difference between EA and (at the time) Sega. Sure, we all know that Madden 2003 and 2004 crushed 2k3 and 2k4 in sales with 2k4 doing worse then 2k3 but with 2k5, Sega let Take Two (aka TT) have complete and total control with marketing. TT knew that in order for 2k5 to compete with Madden, it had to do three things -

1) Release 2k5 before Madden.
2) Release 2k5 with a $20 MSRP.
3) Build a larger fanbase for the future of the series.

TT succeeded in all three. 2k5 sold more copies then the previous two years combined. Sega was willing to lose money (unlike EA) in order for TT to build a larger and loyal fanbase for the series. The ultimate goal for TT was to build a larger loyal fanbase with 2k5 and have it grow with 2k6 (which by the way was officially announced by TT to be released at $20 again and be released a month or so before Madden) in order to establish a huge loyal fanbase heading into Next Gen. That was the ultimate goal set by TT.

2k5 impacted EA's projected sales for Madden 2005 and even hurt it's marketshare. 2k5 was outsold 3-1 by Madden 2005 and while you may think that's good, its not when you consider that 2k3 was outsold 8-1 and 2k4 was outsold something like 15-1. With 2k5 impacting EA's Madden series for the first time since NFL GameDay 97 and 98 on PSone, EA was crapping their pants in fear.

EA lowered Madden only three months later after release to $30 MSRP. Hell, EA lowered their entire sports lineup to $30. In the history of Madden, never has the series been decreased in price before the 10 month period which was always done due to EA's fiscal year or something like that.

Then, TT officially announced that 2k6 would be released once again a month before Madden and at $20. TT was going to extremes which they needed to do. Madden fanboys claim that 2k is not good yet never even played it (and 5 minutes doesnt count) because they were unwilling to face their possible fears that 2k might actually be better then Madden (which it is and always has been - hell, from Montana to Tecmo to GameDay to 2k, the competition has always been the better football game - its just that when you have a series for 15 years and have so many loyal fanboys who fear change, its hard to get the fanbase you not only should have and deserve, but have earned with a superior product).

Shortly after TT's announcement regarding 2k6, the EA/NFL exclusive deal happens. Of course, a lot of people think that the license was up for bid. It wasnt. 989 studios which was working on GameDay's return for last year didnt even know about any such license being up for bid. Microsoft who had planned on bringing back Fever for 360 was also in shock because they were unaware of any such bidding. And these are facts straight from 989 and Microsoft themselves. Everyone knows that if there ever was a bidding war, Microsoft would blow away the rest combined.

A lot of people think that Take Two bid on the NFL license. To bad that's complete bullcrap. Here's why - Take Two would have no reason to bid on the exclusive NFL license for one simple reason - they would have no use for it. See, at the time of the EA/NFL deal, Sega still owned Visual Concepts (2k's developer) and the 2k series brand. Sammy who had purchased 52% of Sega's shares of stock long before the deal was ever made had majority control. Sammy had no interest or intention on buying the NFL license. A few months later, Sega (from demands by Sammy) sold VC and the 2k sports brand to Take Two Interactive.

The biggest factor in the entire EA/NFL conspiracy is this. EA had offered to buy the exclusive NFL and NFLPA licenses in 2002 and again in 2003 but the NFL declined. The reason the NFL declined was because at the time they were making more money by selling the licenses to Sega, EA and whoever else made an NFL game of any sort. The NFL was also using 2k3 and 2k4's sales disasters as leverage for even more money. EA knew that they had to pay whatever the NFL wanted at the time while the 2k series was still around. Basically, the NFL used the failing 2k series to up its price to EA. EA knowing that they couldnt afford to not get the license in time for Madden to be released in August annually had to pay whatever they wanted.

Once TT marketed 2k5 (and 2k6) at $20 and impacted EA's sales figures and marketshare, the NFL stepped in by offering the exclusive license to EA. See, no company ever had a chance in hell of acquiring the exclusive NFL license because the NFL and EA were pretty much up each other's *** for years. John Madden doesnt work for the NFL directly but he does have a lot of influence and leverage (despite being a crappy commentator for years in reality and in-game) in the league. After all, the Madden series itself is actually inducted into the NFL's Hall of Fame. Now, how a video game gets inducted is beyond me (well, not really) but what's even more amazing is that fact that if any football game should be in the NFL's Hall of Fame, it should be the original Tecmo Bowl for NES but that's just me.

Here's another little fact that few people know about. After all this was done, the NFL went on record saying that 2k5's $20 price tag (and the future 2k6) "cheapened" its licenses. If that's not the most bullcrap thing that I have ever read, I dont know what is. The funny part about that statement was that it proved the EA/NFL deal was a conspiracy from the start and even possibly, years in the making.

Think about it - if you were in charge of running the NFL, would you think that 2k5 selling at $20 while surpassing 2k3 and 2k4's sales combined cheapened your license or the fact that both 2k3 and 2k4 selling at $50 were not only outsold by 2k5 combined a year later but also were outsold at ratio's of 8-1 and 15-1 respectively?

Maybe, its just me but the sales figures of 2k3 and 2k4 would cheapen the NFL license a lot more then 2k5 ever did. After all, its all about market share and building a huge loyal fanbase which in the end, is why EA's Madden series still exists.

But oh well, I have 2k5 for Xbox, my laptop PC, my Action Replay and Finn's editor. I dont need to rent, buy or even play Madden when I already have 2k6 and come September after final cuts are made, I'll have 2k7. Best of all, its not costing me a damn thing to do except my free time.

Sorry about the long post.
IMPRESSIVE...!!!!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrams
IMPRESSIVE...!!!!
I agree. EA supporters are flat out of excuses for this franchise, ea is feeding them total gahbage, and they accept it, Oh well. I like the poster, still play 2k5.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2006, 01:43 AM   #56
MVP

xrams's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
I agree. EA supporters are flat out of excuses for this franchise, ea is feeding them total gahbage, and they accept it, Oh well. I like the poster, still play 2k5.
Nova... it's much worse.. I lurk the Madden Nation and OS boards.. All I read is "I hope they do this like 2k5"... "when are they going to put that in like 2k5"... "2k5 has it, what's taking madden so long".... I would never let a Co. rip me off the way madden is doing the US sports gamer.... and what really galls me is how ppl still say the NFL came to EA...

I just pray the TTwo's move to release GTA on both (next-gen) consoles will generate enough cash to remove the hold EA has on the NFL come end of contract (2011)..... It would be sooo sweet for TTwo the deal EA out.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »