Home

EA is using the same engine from 2000. This is innovation

This is a discussion on EA is using the same engine from 2000. This is innovation within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: EA is using the same engine from 2000. This is innovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanchangkang
I would first like to say that I'm not a EA h8er. But if you guys are seeing what I'm seeing...

...the screenshots and movies coming out of E3 for Madden 2007 make me ill. Same modus operandi for EA and Madden

-graphical upgrade to SIX year old engine CHECK
-simple 'features' pumped up as revolutionary gameplay CHECK
-gaming journalist not calling out EA for the excrement that passes for Madden this year CHECK

What money I would have spent on a football game this fall is going toward a Maxdrive so I can keep 2K5 chugging along.

And I was hoping like and idiot that EA would prove to the world that they would take their exclusive license and do something with it.

EA can take that license and eat a fat d##k.
VC wouldn't have made a new engine for next gen..Infact they would have ported eerything over, even the low res staduims, coaches, etc..Just make mew player models..

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1
headphones: Balanced Sony SA5000/Sen 650 AKG 340
Old 05-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamJHolla42
Why do we as gamers feel like it is our duty to criticize what we cannot do ourselves?? Can it not be argued the the current generation of games have reached their peak in graphical capability??? Madden is a game flawed, by any measure, but we speak as if there are no requisite flaws in 2k5 either, which is hardly the case. We will, as gamers, not reap the true benefits of EA's exclusive rights to both the NFL and ESPN until at least 08-09, when the programmers at EA can realize the full power presented to them by the new technology. And for those hoping for a quantum leap in graphical capabilities for the new generation, be aware that the new generation will allow us to see things in greater detail. Look at the screenshots, the detail on these players is incredible. To deny that would be shortchanging yourself. As an owner of both games, 2k5 and the Madden series, i play and enjoy both. But to argue the superiority of a game based on the other's flaws, without acknowledging the flaws of the other, is inherently wrong, gamers. Good Night, and Good Luck......

How hard do you think EA will push the limits of next gen technology w/o any competition? Even with competition on the current gen, you cannot say EA came close to pushing the limits. Comparing Madden 07 to NFL 2K5 on Xbox, not Xbox vs 360, you can see Madden doesn't come close to utilizing the graphical capabilities of the Xbox hardware. Does Madden on 360 look nice? Without a doubt. But do you honestly believe that they are pushing the hardware to its limits? Madden hasn't pushed the limits of hardware in either the audio or visual department since it was on the Genesis imo. I doubt there is anyone here that doesn't realize the flaws of NFL 2K5, but the fact that there is an exclusive license for a game that is equally if not more flawed is absurd. To believe there are any benefits of an exclusive deal in which competition is eliminated and incentive to better a product is limited is absolutely dillusional. You can wait another few years for EA to "realize the potential of the hardware," but the sad fact is that it is not EA's style to realize the potential of hardware, especially when there is no competition. The simple fact that you can start to compare the visuals of NFL 2K5 on Xbox to Madden 06 on the 360 is sad...that in no way shows a product coming close to technological potential.

It may have been naive for 2k loyalists to believe 2k Sports would release an unlicensed game...but it's even more naive for Madden fans to believe football gaming will ever reach the same heights as it would if 2k were still around.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolbubbaice
VC wouldn't have made a new engine for next gen..Infact they would have ported eerything over, even the low res staduims, coaches, etc..Just make mew player models..

I LIKE YOUR COMMENT.....
i have to say to that..vc wouldn't have changed the engine because they don't need to,it was just changed in 04-in an infant stage & in 05 matured.
2006-would have been the year their engine was perfected......

Another thing-NFL2K5...with it's second year engine IS the best football game ever made,MADDEN still hasn't even come close to NFL2K5 and will not until THE NEXT 10 YEARS..NFL2K5 ON (PS2,&XBOX)-----TRUMPS ALL MADDEN GAMES EVER CREATED even madden 06 on xbox 360...

it's so sad to see an 360 game being thrashed by a ps2 game..the xbox 2k5 beats it up even worse..

THE SAME CAN BE SAID about vc and their dumb baseball game..EA has the bestbaseball game in MVP05.....and i see the vc team in charge of baseball hanging with the madden guys at the bar and have a close relationship......

EA needs to give VC the -exclusive rights to nfl to VC:
VC needs to give EA the-exclusive rights to mlb to EA:in exchange.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #20
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal25
How hard do you think EA will push the limits of next gen technology w/o any competition? Even with competition on the current gen, you cannot say EA came close to pushing the limits. Comparing Madden 07 to NFL 2K5 on Xbox, not Xbox vs 360, you can see Madden doesn't come close to utilizing the graphical capabilities of the Xbox hardware. Does Madden on 360 look nice? Without a doubt. But do you honestly believe that they are pushing the hardware to its limits? Madden hasn't pushed the limits of hardware in either the audio or visual department since it was on the Genesis imo. I doubt there is anyone here that doesn't realize the flaws of NFL 2K5, but the fact that there is an exclusive license for a game that is equally if not more flawed is absurd. To believe there are any benefits of an exclusive deal in which competition is eliminated and incentive to better a product is limited is absolutely dillusional. You can wait another few years for EA to "realize the potential of the hardware," but the sad fact is that it is not EA's style to realize the potential of hardware, especially when there is no competition. The simple fact that you can start to compare the visuals of NFL 2K5 on Xbox to Madden 06 on the 360 is sad...that in no way shows a product coming close to technological potential.

It may have been naive for 2k loyalists to believe 2k Sports would release an unlicensed game...but it's even more naive for Madden fans to believe football gaming will ever reach the same heights as it would if 2k were still around.

So the point being made here is "What if" and as things are at this time we'll never know what could have been so I myself have pretty much conseeded to what already is in the real world and moved on.

We all know whats up but we're the minority here and actually EA doesn't need us as that minority but some how they attempt to compromise and judging by their figures and profits they don't seem to have any urgency to actually deliver anything due to the fact there simply isn't any competition to put a fire under their a@% and get the job done right...why bother theres no one stopping or pressuring them to do anything actually then what they've been doing for years.

I personally play both games but its obvious whoes game has shown the most improvment and 2K was on there a#@ from day one until the "Deal" stopped what could have been so its back to the question that we all wonder about...What if ?

Holla Back ya'll
Rickster101
Old 05-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 15

Just want to say a few things since my last post.

1) Regarding the "finesse, balanced and power" RB feature in Madden. It's a copy of the 2k series which started it with NFL 2k2 (not 2k4, like some think). Sorry, but as usual, EA's 5 years late.

2) Regarding the game engine of the 2k series. It would have been changed for next gen systems starting with 2k7 (2k6 wasnt expected to hit next gen even before the EA/NFL deal) because if you look at history, VC changed the core game engine every two years. 2k/2k1, 2k2/2k3 and 2k4/2k5 all ran on different game engines. Playing 2k1 and 2k5 is like night and day. There's not one thing that is the same in both games. 2k6 would have stayed with the same game engine from 2k4 and 2k5 because it was only going to be on current gen systems. Take Two's plan at the time was to build a larger fanbase with 2k5 and 2k6 (by releasing both at $20 and a month before Madden, TT would have accomplished this) heading into next gen with 2k7. TT would have even given EA a year's head start with Madden 360 but after playing it, they could have had a 5 year head start. Oh wait, they do, right now.

3) 2k5 vs Madden - 2k5 blows away Madden is EVERY aspect except for the depth of franchise which I will admit sucks in comparison to Madden but when the gameplay is so horrible that you would rather play the original Tecmo Bowl on NES, it doesnt really matter how good and deep Madden's franchise mode actually is. After all, what's the point of having a great franchise mode if you're just going to simulate the actual games?

Last edited by mjb2124; 05-14-2006 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Piracy talk is a TOS violation
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2006, 08:32 PM   #22
MVP

FunNgun034's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus
yeah, that's real talk. EA has been getting a HUGE pass for the last few years for sticking to those player models and core engine

bottom line..EA SUCKS ..They are dominating every sport and there aint a dam thing we can do about it..I just wish people would wake up and see that they are being cheated...2k5 is the best football game i have ever played I am thankful for flying Finn as he made it possible for us to enjoy this game .

Peace
Old 05-15-2006, 07:09 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpdump66
Can you really blame EA? SIM players might be 10% of the total amount of people playing videogame football. Why would they cater to SIM guys?
NFL2K5 catered to sim guys and the game was even fun... Oh and it sold two million copies. Truth is, EA doesn't have to be sim, arcade, anything. If they release a crappy volyball game called Madden 2007 with big bold text, people will buy it and force theirselves to like it.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:08 AM   #24
Rookie

tpaterniti's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXCHICHO
The real problem with EA is that..They have always catered and pandered to the people that want an arcade-style gaming experience. Ask any Maddenite what they don't like about 2K5 and they will almost always come up with something that amounts to a criticism of the realism in the game, e.g.:

1) It's too hard to play defense. Why,? Because you actually have to know something about football in order to play defense effectively.
2) There are no "money" plays.Why? Because in the real NFL there aren't any money plays either.
Add to this,

3.) I throw too many interceptions (i.e. I have no idea how to read coverages)

I let one of my friends play this game. He plays Madden, but like most people he isn't a fan. He just plays it because that's what he's always played. He told me, "I can see why you like this game. You really have to understand football to play it."

And concerning the fact that less than 10% of gamers are sim, I'd have to say that's right. Nothing has made me lose more faith in humanity than playing this game online. 25-30% of the gamers are honest and play a pretty clean game. The rest are pure @$%holes, willing to cheat, glitch, cheese, and do anything else at all to see that little number by their name go lower, as if that were some accomplishment.

I just have one question for those people who only use like 5 plays the entire game and I see on their ID that they have played over 100 games. I think to myself, 5 offensive (no pun intended) plays x 40 or so plays per game x over 100 games = ? I don't know. That's my question. I would be bored out of my skull. How can that be fun?

Quote:
I read that EA was working on Madden for the 360 a YEAR before it was released. My question is WHAT WERE THEY DOING THIS WHOLE TIME?
Take it from me, it takes a while to update the rosters.

Last edited by tpaterniti; 05-15-2006 at 11:20 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »