Home

2K Sports.... What is wrong with you?

This is a discussion on 2K Sports.... What is wrong with you? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2006, 01:16 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
2K Sports.... What is wrong with you?

Why is Midway putting a generic Blitz game on the 360 but you can't do the same thing?

Please tell me you have a trick up your sleeve. Please? I am still playing a game that I bought two years ago. I LOVE this game because of the presentation and I just want a graphically updated version of this game. Can you please do us all a favor? Just put the g*d d*mn engine on Limewire or something, we will take it and run with it. When this game went away it was like when Tupac and Biggie Smalls died. It was the end of getting excited over new media. Man....I drove forever to get a copy of Super TecmoBowl because the game left such an impression in regards to the presentation. For the first time in my life, I could relive my dream of being Joe Montana or Walter Payton. Half of what made that game so great were the cut scenes. I remember actually noticing a difference when I used a fast player vs. a slow player, a superstar vs. rookie. It was just like in RBI Baseball when I would slam it out the park with Kent Herback (Sorry, I know the spelling's wrong) and I would steal a ton of bases with Kirby Puckett (R.I.P. Playa!) Man....those guys who developed 2K5 were HUNGRY! Companies like EA do not have that PASSION any more. They do NOT care about Joe Consumer who is rushing to Best Buy when he gets off of work to pick up the new football game that he is excited about. They are more concerned about the numbers and not making a game that is so far off from the last version that they lose their fan base. Just exactly who is this fan base? I've thought long and hard about this and I think I have an answer. I'm probably really stereotyping because I've never really been the biggest Madden fan (the 360 version has been my favorite version), but I think that they are the guys you see on the Madden Nation show. They have no life other than to play Madden day and night until they figure out the money plays that will beat you on any given down. I don't want to bash Madden, but I see these guys completely run people like a fixed poker game. Primarily, I think this happens because they have been essentially playing the same game for the past ten years. Now....I'm back to...okay I guess I'll stand in line for 45 plus hours to buy a new system and game from the biggest sports game developer in the history of the universe who overlooked including something so simple as challenges. Come on man....you guys are going to make me come down off of my drunken soapbox and have to call the 800 number for that damn video game school that I see on every episode of every show on G4TV (remember when it was TechTV?) Okay, I guess I've ranted enough. EA, you will take my money once again but I want to say this. You guys f8ckin suck!!! I played 2K5 again after a pretty long hiatus and it's the only game on Xbox that I have any desire to play. It's the only game where I think wow, this game was presented so well, had so much potential but was cut short by a company with a LOT of money. Dude, I've said this before, I wish EA would just copy the presentation and I would be happy but they aren't even doing that. Okay, I'm done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: 2K Sports.... What is wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spills22
When this game went away it was like when Tupac and Biggie Smalls died.
I believe.....that NOW.....I've heard it all.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9

be patient Danielson. It will come.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12

"When this game went away it was like when Tupac and Biggie Smalls died"

I think EA had them knocked off, West cooooast....

Spills22, seriously I feel your pain!!

Last edited by xylocaine; 06-07-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 12

Yeah !! It was just like when Elvis died too ! :y4:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
All Star

OVR: 21

I had pretty much written off a 2K football game given all the exclusivity news (including the recently announced retired players) but since EA has made the idiot decision not to drastically improve their in-game engine there's still a market for a 2K game. Still, I'd imagine it's hard trying to create something that isn't going to be just a one-hit wonder. I think as Midway's Blitz game moves forward, unless it can offer compelling gameplay enhancements and/or give their make believe players enough character to make people care about them, it won't last long term. The over the top violence is no different than the Midway arcade-sports games of old; the gameplay gets stale after a few years. They start off white-hot, but then cool down pretty fast.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:58 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

EA and 2K's responses to the NFL and MLB exclusivity deals were certainly interesting.

Once EA took the NFL, 2K simply appeared to throw in the towel on the NFL 2K series.

Once 2K took MLB, EA came right back with the college game as if to say, "nice try, but we're still here".

Granted ... EA bought out all the major football licenses, but you could easily argue that NCAA baseball has less popularity than those and EA still had the guts to come back with a quick turnaround to keep MVP alive.

It's a shame for NFL 2K fans like us, but can we still blame EA for this? If 2K were really so blameless and noble, they wouldn't have responded by buying the MLB license.

As Blitz showed, if you do something different than Madden, if you appeal to a different group of people, if you can identify the key differences between consumers who buy NFL 2K vs. Madden, then you can succeed without a license (well, depends on your definition of success). Of course appeal will be limited, particularly at first, and 2K likely looked at the numbers and figured it wasn't worth it.

Too bad. I was really excited to see what that team could do on the 360 too.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:53 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 11

Maybe the issue is with Take Two..they own 2K...I would believe if the guys at 2K could..they would...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »