Home

I'm considering editing a PS2 2K5 GREAT TEAMS roster file...

This is a discussion on I'm considering editing a PS2 2K5 GREAT TEAMS roster file... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: I'm considering editing a PS2 2K5 GREAT TEAMS roster file...

CookooForCocoa:

Although PS2 editing absolutely sucks, you shouldn't give up on using Finn's editor merely b/c the attributes are not inherently organized... remember there is an EXPORT TOOL. You should use this in conjunction w/ the "player search" tool, where you can enter several parameters to extract the information you need into excel files. THEN, after narrowing down your export results into different sheets you can add/del or rearrange columns to suit your PS2-specific needs

For example, you could make sheets by position. I am probably going to do this for XBOX, so I'll help you out here... The attached zip file contains all you need to get started on this huuuuge project for PS2:
First, there is a one excel sheet containing the entire rosters (with attributes) for each of the 32 historic teams you listed in your 1st post thanks to Capa's teams & a few of my own. Only 2 are missing: SEA '05 (you probably have it on ur PS2 already... I just couldnt find my 05-06 roster file from last year) and HOU '62 (instead, I substituted HOU79 for now). The sheet is sorted by team alphabetically (SF 49ers, CHI Bears, CIN Bengals, BUF Bills... all the way thru MIN Vikings), & then by player name.

Also in the zip file are 2 "position-specific" example spreadsheets; one listing all Quarterbacks & one containing all Defensive Ends. These example sheets only include attributes which affect the position (so the attributes for PAC, PST, PRC, SCR are only in the QBs spreadsheet). You should continue this process, making one spreadsheet dedicated for each of the 16 positions (QB, RB, WR, TE, OT, OG, C, K, P ...etc). Create these by sorting the master spreadsheet by position & then cut & paste each pos into it's own sheet.

The reason you make a diff sheet for each position is because (as you should know by now) when you are doing the actual in-game editing on your PS2, the attributes are listed in a different order on the TV screen for every position (i think you complained about this in an earlier post). So, w/ diff sheets for each pos, you can then delete extra attribute columns AND re-order the remaining columns in each spreadsheet to match the order listed in the game for that position (this speeds up PS2 editing tremendously). Also, by eliminating the extra columns which don't apply to that specific position (example: no Kick Accuracy or Kick Power listed for non-kicker/punters), you can see the entire row of attributes fit on just one screen in excel with no side-scrolling or zooming out (for a moniter at least 1024x768).

Editing is thus very simplified-- although still tedious. You could enlist some interested people to help you, since it's all grunt work once you're setup. Sort the results of each sheet by team name alphabetically (49ers, Bears, Bengals, Bills, Broncos)... then just fly down the list of teams, editing all the QBs one after another starting w/ SF & going all the way through MIN (Vikings last in the alphabet). Then move on to RBs, FBs, WRs, etc until you are done w/ every position & every team.

good luck

unfortunately, after youre done w/ that, you'll still have to use Finn's editor (or some good historic NFL site like http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/rosters.nsf/) to look up the remaining info beyond name, position, & attribute:
-jersey #
-college
-height
-weight
-face/skin
-body-type
-equipment

^If you ask Finn he might be able to create an export tool that can extract the above details into excel too (this would speed it up a lot)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Historic Spreadsheets.zip (133.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by puja21; 04-09-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #18
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

capa, your files are actually handy for some of the player numbers. So not all is lost. It was frustrating because I thought all of the categories were lined up the same way, but didn't find out until going through about a half dozen players or so.

puja21, thanks for all of that, but I've got a really simplfied ratings system down. It makes it so I can finish a team in about two hours. Basically I'm rounding all the ratings up or down to the nearest 10 (84 goes down to 80, 87 goes up to 90, etc.), so I can fly through and write all the numbers by hand (80 = 8, 90 = 9, etc.). Sure, the results will be arcadey and inaccurate, but it's just so much easier to do it this way. Besides, there are a handful of teams I'm doing that aren't in the game (90 Eagles, 91 Falcons, etc.) and rating those teams will then be easier too, because I won't have to bend my brain trying to figure how I should rate those teams.

Anyways... The wheels were spinning in the mud, but now I seem to be off and running. I'm excited too... Can't wait to finish... Hopefully I won't get stuck again.

By the way, if anyone wants to do a similar project for the Xbox I can post the ratings (I would just scan the sheet with my scanner) when I'm done with each team. The information I'm writing down is: Ht, Wt, skin (well, just light or dark for the most part), player number, and then simplified ratings as I noted above (on a scale of 1-10). Also, I'm only doing the minimum 42 players... So yes, it is indeed pretty bare bones...

In fact, considering all of this (the rounded off ratings, small rosters, etc.), it really might be better suited to play with injuries and fatigue off, and just play arcade style.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #19
MVP

erickonasis's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAraujo
I thought it was cool until you blasted my Cowboys
I agree...I would love the idea
Old 04-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookooForCocoa
puja21, thanks for all of that, but I've got a really simplfied ratings system down. It makes it so I can finish a team in about two hours. Basically I'm rounding all the ratings up or down to the nearest 10 (84 goes down to 80, 87 goes up to 90, etc.), so I can fly through and write all the numbers by hand (80 = 8, 90 = 9, etc.). Sure, the results will be arcadey and inaccurate, but it's just so much easier to do it this way. Besides, there are a handful of teams I'm doing that aren't in the game (90 Eagles, 91 Falcons, etc.) and rating those teams will then be easier too, because I won't have to bend my brain trying to figure how I should rate those teams.
^but you don't have to guess or write down all the numbers by hand-- just look at the attachment i posted. thanks to guys like WARPATHEB & CAPA and (to a significantly lesser degree) the included in-game historic teams, every single player (53-man rosters-- not 42) & every single attribute are already listed for all the teams in your 1st post... including the '90 Eagles. IMO much of the ratings work done by these roster makers is "strong to quite strong." but most of all, it has to be faster than writing anything by hand

Quote:
if anyone wants to do a similar project for the Xbox I can post the ratings (I would just scan the sheet with my scanner) when I'm done with each team. The information I'm writing down is: Ht, Wt, skin (well, just light or dark for the most part), player number, and then simplified ratings as I noted above (on a scale of 1-10).
def post it so ppl can try ur arcade style ratings, but remember that for XBOX everything except college, age, & years pro is already available for 150+ past teams between Capa's 60+ historic teams, warpatheb's tecmo bowl/1990 roster, and DreadedSteeler's complete rosters for 1979 & 1986... plus, XBOX has finn's editor, so ppl can just copy & paste those players on top of the default players. ive already finished both SF89 & CIN88 since my last post in this thread 1.5 hrs ago

Last edited by puja21; 04-09-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #21
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

puja21, a couple things:

1. I don't have a way to read/view excel files. In the past I've searched around for some type of freeware, to no avail. So unless someone can get the files into a .txt version, I can't see those.

2. Are all the categories lined up just like they are in the game? Because having to sort through the categories is cumbersome. Copying by hand directly from the game goes pretty quickly.

3. If I posted my ratings it'd just be a scan of what I've written down by hand. So someone would have to type it all out if they were going to use them in Finn's editor.

And to all you Cowboy fans... What can I say? I didn't like the 90s Cowboys. I was gonna make a team of just Tony Romos... One at every position... Each with a speed rating set to get caught from behind right before the goal line.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #22
MVP

erickonasis's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
puja21, a couple things:

1. I don't have a way to read/view excel files. In the past I've searched around for some type of freeware, to no avail. So unless someone can get the files into a .txt version, I can't see those.

2. Are all the categories lined up just like they are in the game? Because having to sort through the categories is cumbersome. Copying by hand directly from the game goes pretty quickly.

3. If I posted my ratings it'd just be a scan of what I've written down by hand. So someone would have to type it all out if they were going to use them in Finn's editor.

And to all you Cowboy fans... What can I say? I didn't like the 90s Cowboys. I was gonna make a team of just Tony Romos... One at every position... Each with a speed rating set to get caught from behind right before the goal line.
I'll still chec this out if your'e gonna do it...Are you?
Old 04-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
puja21, a couple things:

2. Are all the categories lined up just like they are in the game? Because having to sort through the categories is cumbersome. Copying by hand directly from the game goes pretty quickly
free MS Excel viewer:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=EN

if you cant edit excel files tho, then u cant sort the columns. so i guess youre out of luck if that's really important to you, but i cant see how copying by hand could possibly be faster... i mean it's a whole extra step. writing down ratings on paper for every player? that's hours upon hours of work

using an existing spreadsheet there is no copying-- you just sit down & start editing right away:
(1) turn on the game, (2) turn on the laptop right there, (3) start editing the ratings you see in excel right onto the default roster on your PS2... there is no loading of any historic teams to look at & copy the ratings w/ pen & ink b/c the excel file already has all 32 historic teams & every player on each roster w/ all their attributes visible right there on screen (~1500 players).

but yeah, you would need excel to re-oder columns so each position has attributes in the same order as PS2. not like this takes long at all though w/ excel... literally it takes ~10 mins to do total. you only do it one time ever for all 17 positions (QB RB FB WR TE OT OG C DT DE OLB ILB CB SS FS P K). example: open the master spreadsheet, extract QBs and sort the appropriate attributes (this takes 30s. maximum). then repeat for the other 16 positions & you have all 1500 historic players w/ all attributes u want to view w/ atts sorted perfectly just like PS2
Old 04-10-2007, 12:57 AM   #24
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonasis
I'll still chec this out if your'e gonna do it...Are you?
Yeah. I'm just getting started, and I'm determined to get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
...but yeah, you would need excel to re-oder columns so each position has attributes in the same order as PS2...
That's where it was becoming cumbersome... Though I think I may have just figured out a solution!!!

With the excel viewer you linked (thanks, by the way) you can't move the columns to match the way their lined up in the PS2... But what I can do is group all the QBs, "Print Screen" and then paste into MS Paint, and then arrange them there!

This will potentially save a huge chunk of time... And then for HT, WT, number, etc. I can check capa's files in Finn's editor...

Thanks again to all that helped! I'll keep you guys up to date... Maybe this will go quicker than I expected.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »