Home

is player contracts/salary working fine?

This is a discussion on is player contracts/salary working fine? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
is player contracts/salary working fine?

any glitches, any negative values or problems?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: is player contracts/salary working fine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelblutarheel
any glitches, any negative values or problems?

Only way to know is to try it on a gamesave you don't care about and see what happens. My QA department is off for X-mas.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

I say that because on another post i mention that I don't have the action replay for another cpu I'm using at my college. My other cpu is at home.

Can't exactly test it until this weekend. Hence why I'm posting.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Only way to know is to try it on a gamesave you don't care about and see what happens. My QA department is off for X-mas.
happy holidays finn
Old 12-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #5
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
LOL!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2007, 02:33 AM   #6
MVP

The contract editor appears to be bug-free from what I can tell (provided you edit a roster rather than a franchise), but it doesn't quite work the way it's designed (at least IMHO). With the way it currently functions, I don't understand the point of differentiating between "length" & "years left."

This is how I hope the tool can one day function:
Let's ignore bonuses for the purposes of the example. In 2005 Tom Brady signed a 6y 60M dollar contract ending in 2010. So, I entered a total value of 60M with 6 years for the length & 4 for "years remaining" (because we are in 2007 & 2 years have expired). I set it to backload.

Ideally, this would generate a contract with a value less than 60M of course. In this case, the resulting contract in franchise should be a 4y 44M contract structured as follows:
year 1 & 2 are expired/past (were 8M each)
year 3= 8M
year 4-6= 12M

The total value should be 16M less than 60 because it is a backloaded deal. In 2K5, backloaded deals with an even number of years are structured so that 40% of the contract value is located before the "halfway point" & 60% is located afterwards. This balance would of course be different for each of the other contract structures.

As the tool currently works, it just makes a 4 year 60M dollar back-loaded contract-- essentially it just ignores the fact that this "began" as a 6y deal... so why take that into account at all? The obvious workaround is to just set Brady to a 4 year 44M dollar deal, but that makes the contracts project much harder because we not only have to look up the original deal, but also have to determine the remaining value (I guess this could be calculated automatically in excel w/ formulas but that would mean everyone looking up contracts has to have access to excel & to a specific spreadsheet with the formulas). Updating deals to their remaining value is complicated further when bonuses are involved: the bonus/guaranteed value has to be divided by the number of years & the appropriate amount has to be subtracted from the total based on how much time has passed on the deal.

I assume that because there is a distinction made between length & remaining years in the first place, the tool is ideally supposed to work as I described above, figuring out the remaining value for you... Finn, if I give you the percentage structures for the various deals & the bonus rules, you can probably just program them into the editor in the same way that you added the "Perf Eq" equation to the global editor, right? Actually, now that I think about it, they are already in the editor of course to generate the deals as is....

Basically, what are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by puja21; 12-15-2007 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
The contract editor appears to be bug-free from what I can tell (provided you edit a roster rather than a franchise)
This must explain why, when I was tooling around with your V1 franchise and attempting to set contracts, it was resulting in all kinds of funky results once loaded into the game. So the roster contracts must be edited, then loaded into the franchise. Cool. Not that it matters for me this year since I'm already using your V2 franchise, but this is helpful for the future.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
The contract editor appears to be bug-free from what I can tell (provided you edit a roster rather than a franchise)
actually, upon further inspection the contract editor still seems it may still have some bugs. In a spreadsheet, I have recorded the contract values (years, length, bonus) for all 300+ rookies & all players rated above 80 in my roster (~700 total players). Rather than wait for Finn to hopefully add in a total to "calculate remaining value" based on a backloaded style, I wrote the formula myself to do this in excel & then started applying the remaining values to my roster.

I didnt track exactly how far in I got in terms of total # of contracts adjusted, but at some point the test roster became corrupted & causes freezing when you try to start a franchise. Because I didnt track every action between backing up, I cant hypothesize what may be the problem. It could be any # of things & not the contract editor itself such as:
--the total salaries for a team exceeding 80.5M by too much (80.5 is the default salary cap)
--setting some type of contract that exceeds the limits of the game
etc...
So I'm not going to jump to conclusions & say the tool is buggy. It may be there are just certain things we can never do b/c the salary cap was so low in 2004 or some other reason that causes limitations.

i'm going to send the file to Finn with a list of all the contracts I edited (who they are & what the terms of the deal were) & maybe sometime during the offseason we'll learn more. Until then I'm going back to the old method of in-game editing. I'll zero out the attributes of all rookies & all 80+ rated players & start franchise (thus setting their wants very low). Then I'll manually negotate all deals. Any other players (those rated less than 80) will just keep their rating-generated contract.

Last edited by puja21; 12-23-2007 at 10:50 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »