Home

Draft logic bug/glitch/error or just plain stupidity.

This is a discussion on Draft logic bug/glitch/error or just plain stupidity. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2008, 02:38 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Draft logic bug/glitch/error or just plain stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
sounds great

please post those schedules or have finn bundle them when you get all the times nailed dan
No problem. If you want to get started, here's the site that I use -

http://the506.com/nflmaps/old/

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/

The first one listed is for the 2004 season but it's missing a few weeks. This was when J.P. Kirby first started doing the distribution maps. I actually emailed him to get this info a month or so ago. The second one has the current (2007) season with links to the 2005 and 2006 seasons located underneath week 17. Since I live in NY and CBS is channel 2 with FOX being channel 5, I start with the CBS games and then FOX. For example, week one for the 2007 NFL season will look like this when playing in game -

NO @ IND ( Thursday September 6th - 8:30 )
NE @ NYJ ( Sunday September 9th - 1:00 )
MIA @ WSH
DEN @ BUF
PIT @ CLE
KC @ HOU
TEN @ JAX
PHI @ GB
CAR @ STL
ATL @ MIN
CHI @ SD ( 4:15 )
TB @ SEA
DET @ OAK
NYG @ DAL ( 8:30 )
BAL @ CIN ( Monday September 10th - 7:00 )
ARZ @ SF ( 10:15 )

There were no CBS games televised at 4:15 pm. If there was, they would have been listed before the CHI @ SD game but after the ATL @ MIN game. One thing that I learned while doing this was that when an AFC team plays an NFC team in an NFC stadium, it's CBS that has the broadcast rights to televise the game. Some may think that it goes by the home team but it actually goes by the road team. So, if the road team is from the AFC, it's broadcast on CBS and if the road team is from the NFC, it's broadcast on FOX. And yes, im very picky.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:23 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 20

great thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 01:43 AM   #11
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seno
Looking at each team I would determine the three biggest area of need. Then assign a number to that position 1,2.or 3. Rolling a six sided die (I actually used Random.org) (4=1,5=2,6=3) I would draft for that team what ever position assigned to the number that came up on the die. Simple - New York Giants have the first pick, They need help at Tackle (1), Wide Receiver (2), Free Safety (3) . Die comes up 4, The giants take the first Tackle on the rookie report at that time. If I could only find two areas of need that justified a 1st round pick I would replace that position slot with “best player available”.
I like this strategy! I'm sure I'll use a very similar version of it myself for the '08-'09 season of my franchise as I just finished up the '07-'08 season with the actual game-by-game results from this year (except, of course, for the all Chiefs games that I won heh heh.). So, I'm waiting for Puja to finish up this years draft class and probably just draft players by team according to some conglomeration of the latest mock drafts. But the following season I'm just gonna have to go with the game generates.

I dunno, I might just do like dan77733 does and start a default Franchise and then copy in draft classes in Finn's editor to bring in the real players and make all the significant trades over the last few years to keep all the rosters accurate to the year as best I can.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2008, 02:36 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seno
I just did a draft that was pretty satisfying and challenging though a little time consuming.
The key is the Rookie Report in the EPSN,com menu. From week 8 on though the draft the report always displays a slightly randomized and weekly changing list of the best prospects in the upcoming draft. It changes every week but it defiantly seems to me that the better players whether viewed overall or buy position stay near the top when first clicking on the menu. So during the draft I changed all of the teams to “user” (Finn’s editor) and drafted the first round off the Rookie Report list. Looking at each team I would determine the three biggest area of need. Then assign a number to that position 1,2.or 3. Rolling a six sided die (I actually used Random.org) (4=1,5=2,6=3) I would draft for that team what ever position assigned to the number that came up on the die. Simple - New York Giants have the first pick, They need help at Tackle (1), Wide Receiver (2), Free Safety (3) . Die comes up 4, The giants take the first Tackle on the rookie report at that time. If I could only find two areas of need that justified a 1st round pick I would replace that position slot with “best player available”.
Excellent method of working around the 1st round. I usually do something similar, but a little more simple. I just determine a team's 3 areas of need and then draft the BPA at a position of need. So say the team needs a T, WR, and S, like in your example, I'd check the rookie report and if the best available WR is ranked higher than the best available S and T, I draft the WR for them.

I like your way...it adds a greater sense of randomness and unpredictability to the draft. Bravo
Old 01-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 11

After the first round when switching the other teams to the cpu, I wonder how the cpu logic operates when determining need and making decisions. Anybody know? Do they still use a high 2nd rounder, for example, on a RB if they have a stable full of strong RB's already?

Just curious...
Old 01-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Draconian
Is there a way to fix the AI's draft logic where they will only select a HB, OT or DE in the first round. Id like to start a franchise, but theres almost no point when you can have whoever you want in the first round of the draft (Assuming its not a HB/OT/DE). How'd this even make it into the game.
Another way of looking at this, is that all you have to do with your first pick is choose a QB, HB, OT or DE as well. Then it's all back to square one for round two. A non-issue, in other words.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #15
Daydream Believer

Flyboy's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aff4life
The easy fix, off the top of my head here, is to assume control of all the teams at draft time using Finn's editor, draft what they really need and then un-assume control after the draft is over. That's the easy fix.
That's what I'm going to start doing. Good lookin' out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aff4life
I dunno, I might just do like dan77733 does and start a default Franchise and then copy in draft classes in Finn's editor to bring in the real players and make all the significant trades over the last few years to keep all the rosters accurate to the year as best I can.
Actually, what im going to do is play a season starting with the 2004 season and when finished, I will simply "load" my 2K6 franchise file to play the 2005 season. I will do this for all four seasons (2004-2007). I'm not going through the off-season whatsoever. By loading my franchise file for each season, im able to play straight through. I thought about going through the off-season controlling all 32 teams and making all the correct transactions but it's too much of a pain in the *** to do plus it's time consuming. Instead of doing extra work, I would rather just use my franchise files.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »