Home

Operation Sports Roundtable: NFL 2K5 Edition

This is a discussion on Operation Sports Roundtable: NFL 2K5 Edition within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 1
2k5 had gang tackling, sideline catches, a pocket, an inside running game that worked, accurate offensive line blocking schemes, great animations, etc, etc, etc. Gameplay was top-notch. It's about time Madden caught up. (Anyone who's actually played a little football would see this)

I used to buy Madden until I discovered 2k5. Still play 2k5 today. Played the Madden demo. Feels pretty good now that they caught up on their gameplay features. The demo is too short to really tell. I'll rent ... then decide if I'll buy. (I don't listen to EA's hype machine anymore. They can make anything sound great)
Old 08-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 10
Yeah there is a ton of hype on all games now no matter what they are. I think even 2K5 had crazy hype. As always tho i will give every sports game a shot. Haha I can even pick up Blitz and still have a good time.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #75
Banned

OVR: 12
I don't get the "Madden has the best gameplay" argument.
You have much less control of the outcome on any given play in Madden.
Perfect example, Ive seen inexperienced, rookie Madden players, stay with experienced players in head to head games. The learning curve in Madden is small, you conquer this game very quickly. In 2K an inexperienced player is pretty much lost, it takes some time to master this game, the learning curve is much longer, thats why it endured so long.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #76
Rookie

OVR: 7
I have a different perspective on this arguement. Granted that 2k5 overall was a clear winner over madden several years after it.. Granted the ONLY reason madden sold was the exclusive license for the past several years on the next / current gen consoles. But what what grinds my gears on the whole thing was the raising of expectations, only to fail dismally in the final product.

What makes 2k5 what it is to alot of us is that Madden, took the license, proclaimed that they will reign supreme in videogame football, put out a tech demo that had us all, who will admit it, salivating for the new experience.. then produce the biggest turd of a game not only for 06, but 07, 08 and to some.. 09. thats what solidified 2k5 into videogame football history. They figured out that they can get over a billion bucks over 5 years just by dressing up stirred fried crap with official NFL logos. They then had the brass hoodles to create MADDEN FOR DUMMIES, basically taking the lackluster game play of the last 5 years and making it casual gamer friendly.. totally igg'in us hardcore ballers. so what did we really have but 2k5 and a commited band of gamers who kept us updated with rosters and such..

This is why 2k5 is a classic. this is why it will be considered the way it is, not only for its own efforts and presentation and price, but the fact that 4 years out, it still smacked the holy dog crap out of madden 06-08 (some think madden 09 as well)

BTW: be honest, how many of you took the game back to the store after a few days to trade in / get your money back?? I did, it was madden 06 and 07 2 days, but it doesnt beat my personal record of 2.5 hours with another EA TURD.. Triple Play Baseball!! LOL!! (having flashback.. ".. oh buck he crushed it!! 10 FRIGGN HOMERUNS in the first inning back to back on highest difficulty!)
Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #77
Rookie

Haha you make fun of the old school Triple Play..... Pop in this years MLB 2K9 and be prepared to be blown away by GARBAGE lol. It does have top notch presentation tho haha.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #78
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: Operation Sports Roundtable: NFL 2K5 Edition

but it doesnt beat my personal record of 2.5 hours with another EA TURD.. Triple Play Baseball!! LOL!! (having flashback.. ".. oh buck he crushed it!! 10 FRIGGN HOMERUNS in the first inning back to back on highest difficulty!)

lmao !!!!! good old ea, good lord, thank god for the boys in canada though, looking forward to hockey
although maybe 2k hockey...well have to see.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 1
Can you still get roster updates for 2k5? (xbox game running on the 360, that is) If so, where?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #80
Rookie

No but you could just get APF 2K8 and there are fan sites everywhere that rate the players and you can make them yourself yes very time consuming tho

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »