Home

Player Progression

This is a discussion on Player Progression within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Player Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Regarding Dan's comments about the pre-programmed progression: a simple way to see for yourself is to start with the default roster and use Larry Fitzgerald and Eli Manning in your sim tests. Within 2-3 seasons, both will be at or near 100 overall. They'll both progress whether you insert them as starters or sit them on the bench. And it could be you're on to something with pre-season as I don't recall testing for that specifically. I would guess it won't matter whether you play/sim pre-season games or not, but I could be wrong.

Well I'm on my second year of my new franchise and you're right, Larry Fitzgerald is at 89, so he will probably go up even more next year.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
The player progression is pre-programmed and it doesnt matter what you do or dont do. I just simmed the first pre-season (2004) with the 49ers and every single player stayed exactly the same as what they were except WR Arnaz Battle who declined but only because he's injured.

There is random/ pre-programmed player progression after pre-season but only after the second (2005) season and beyond due to the incoming draft class every year.

The progression after the season is also non-existent because it makes you think that players progressed but in reality didnt. I'm looking at it right now and for example, it says that DT Bryant Young decreased by two points from 85 to 83 but there's one small problem - he was never 85 to begin with. There's other players as well in which you think that they progressed but they didnt.

Like I said, the second season (2005) is where player progression actually exists but its after the pre-season is completed. 49ers WR Rashaun Woods increased from 76 to 82. Brandon Lloyd also increased a few points to 82. DE John Engelberger increased from 80 to 83. CB Ahmed Plummer decreased from 84 to 80. Except for 2001, Plummer sucked and I remember in 2K3, he decreased to 60 or something like that every single time. Long story short, player progression was pre-programmed in 2K3 and is the same in 2K5. Eagles DT's Corey Simon and Darwin Walker both increased several points to 94 and 87 respectively.

Bottom line is that player progression is pre-programmed and doesnt exist in the first season no matter how any player does.

There's also a valid reason why there's no player progression in the first (2004) season - its because VC wanted the user to actually use Weekly Prep on a week in and week out basis for player progression.

And on a related side note - for anyone who thinks that all I do is kiss 2K5's ***, let it be known that I ******* hate Weekly Prep, the Crib, those damn celebs who always seem to be linked to other players when editing/creating rosters no matter what, ESPN 25th anniversary, Franchise Status (aka Coach Firing), Email (wtf???) and Historic Teams. VIP is a great original, innovative feature except for one thing - its connected to the damn Crib and thats a negative in my opinion because you cant use VIP without having to deal with that crap. FPF is great but has problems and should have been fine tuned and perfected. As much as I love 2K5, there's a LOT of stuff I hate and quite honestly, after 2K4, VC should have eliminated all the stupid crappy flawed as hell this has nothing to do with football gimmicks and concentrate on the flaws, glitches, bugs, a deeper franchise mode and the gameplay itself.

Sorry about the rant at the end but I wanted to get that off my chest and P.S. - I ******* hate those damn celebs because they're always causing me problems when im creating my rosters. How in the hell a random player gets linked to them is ******* beyond me. UGH.
Hey man, no need to get upset, I think 2k5 is the best sports video game that's ever been created. There is no reason for any of us to be playing this game five years later, except that it's a great game, bar none.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by malky
I think 2k5 is the best sports video game that's ever been created. There is no reason for any of us to be playing this game five years later, except that it's a great game, bar none.
I agree completely. Any issues with the game don't bother me in the least.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2009, 04:16 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

I never did like the progression though.

-
Old 09-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 15

While im not going to stop playing 2K5, there are stuff that annoy me or should have been tested better. Player progression is just one of them.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation for players like HB's and Safeties overall ratings' dropping one year and the skyrocketing after you release or trade them?
Old 09-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 9

I just did another simulated season to check the stats of my rosters. Jonathan Stewart started off at 87 overall and this time he progressed to a 93 overall - last time he was a 92. Steve Smith who went to 99 overall last year, degressed to a 94 and his numbers were definately a lot lower than the last season i simulated. I know some player progression is predetermined, but some areas aren't.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »