Home

General Questions

This is a discussion on General Questions within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 32
General Questions

So I am most likely am going to get back into this game because I want my football fix and Madden isn't going to cut it.

I have a few questions.

-I want to run a 3-4, is it worth it? Is it as effective as it is in real life? Or should I run a 4-3 or hybrid (4-3 and 3-4)?

-Custom Playbooks: I want to create my own, can someone help me with this? I know it's 50 formations, but is that for offense and defense, or 50 offense and 50 defense?

-In the depth charts, if I switch my base D to the 3-4, or the hybrid, will it updates that in the depth chart?

-Are there substitution packages? i.e. can I create a 3rd down pass rush package, or a run stop package? If not, are there formation substitutions?
Washington Capitals
Washington Nationals

R.I.P. #21
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: General Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHSLax_D24
So I am most likely am going to get back into this game because I want my football fix and Madden isn't going to cut it.

I have a few questions.

-I want to run a 3-4, is it worth it? Is it as effective as it is in real life? Or should I run a 4-3 or hybrid (4-3 and 3-4)?

-Custom Playbooks: I want to create my own, can someone help me with this? I know it's 50 formations, but is that for offense and defense, or 50 offense and 50 defense?

-In the depth charts, if I switch my base D to the 3-4, or the hybrid, will it updates that in the depth chart?

-Are there substitution packages? i.e. can I create a 3rd down pass rush package, or a run stop package? If not, are there formation substitutions?
1) You should run the front that the team is running. As a 49ers fan, I use the 3-4 and the Ravens playbook since you MUST use a 3-4 playbook when you change the depth chart to the 3-4. As far as it being as effective in reality, I think thats more on how you play. If you blitz a lot, it could work out well but you could also get burned.

2) Sorry, I dont deal with custom playbooks but im sure others here will help you out.

3) Yes, you can run the 3-4, 4-3 or both but I suggest only using one or the other, not both because teams like the Cowboys, Jets, Raiders and Vikings are 4-3 teams first with the 3-4 base defense. Bills have a few 3-4 base fronts and 4-3 base fronts but I cant remember how many off hand. Play a quick game with Bills at Bills and you can easily check it out. Also, using both the 3-4 and 4-3 conflict with each other plus affect the team's defensive and overall ratings.

4) If you mean, a 3rd down RB (like in Madden), then as far as I know the answer is no but you can sub in players on the fly on the play calling screen. You can however do player substitutions in the playbook manager if you want. For example, if I wanted to put Ahmad Brooks in the nickel or dime formations instead of either Lawson or Haralson, I can.

NOTE: You need FINN's editor in order to change team's defensive fronts (from 3-4 to 4-3 or vice versa) and must use a playbook to support the depth chart. There's only five pure 3-4 teams - Chargers, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers and Texans. Quite honestly, in reality, all these teams switching to the 3-4 is killing me as a roster maker because you have too many teams using the same playbook. If there was one last thing that FINN could crack, it would be the ability to add and subtract formations from every teams playbook. That way, offense could stay the same but the defense could be altered to just run 3-4 or 4-3 fronts. Oh well.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

You actually can do formation subs. In game, if you load the file, go to features/rosters and manage playbook, you can create subs.

- Switch to formation instead of package (at the top of the screen).
- make your sub (for instance, on my latest roster, Mark Gastineau is brought in on 3rd down nickel packages, but not the normal 3-4 package, so although he is a starter in the depth chart, another DE is subbed in the 3-4).
- Once you make the change (this is the important part), you must BACK OUT USING THE RED B BUTTON until you are all the way to the first screen. It will ask about saving, just keep backing out.
- Once to the front screen, just go save the roster and the subs should be permanent.

I don't know why this works, but it does.

Some people have said it can cause problems, but I have it in all five of my roster and all five franchise files and haven't run into a problem yet, and I've played through the whole season on 4 of the franchises.

I especially like this for teams that shared carries pretty evenly with RBs. It doesn't matter when you sim, but when you play against them, it is nice to see the frequent subs.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Banned

^^^ It can cause problems in future seasons because of retirements, trades and letting free agents leave and signing new free agents.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19

Like freezing issues or having guys in spots you wouldn't want them?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
Banned

^^^^^ Cant say about any freezing issues but having players in the wrong positions is definitely possible. For example, in my rosters, I switch the position of ALL the long snappers to Center. If for example, Brian Jennings retires, the CPU will automatically put another player in his spot but the problem is that the CPU could end up putting a player there who shouldnt be there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »