Home

2K Sports Has Already Approached NFL About NFL 2K13 Licensing Deal

This is a discussion on 2K Sports Has Already Approached NFL About NFL 2K13 Licensing Deal within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: 2k wants NFL License

I will be purchasing NBA 2K 11 this week not only because the game appears to be one of the, if not the, best sports game of the generation, but also because the more I help 2K's sales, the more I support the chances of this kind of product coming to the NFL.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
Well yes, there is that.

Well yeah. I'm not sure that 2k's pricing war had a lot to do with the NFL, since the licences would have been paid in advance.
I think that in 2004 the NFL simply garnered a percentage of each game's sales; that, if it's true, would explain why they went the exclusive route with EA. EA approached them before about an exclusive deal, but the NFL turned them down. After 2k sold for $20, which forced EA to lower the price of Madden to $30, the NFL had a change of heart and signed an exclusive deal with EA.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #51
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
I think that in 2004 the NFL simply garnered a percentage of each game's sales; that, if it's true, would explain why they went the exclusive route with EA. EA approached them before about an exclusive deal, but the NFL turned them down. After 2k sold for $20, which forced EA to lower the price of Madden to $30, the NFL had a change of heart and signed an exclusive deal with EA.
Money grabbing bastards! Busy arguing over 8billion of fans money while they black out games and sign exclusive deals. A couple of years ago the premier league refused to sell sky the remaining soccer games because they would have had them all and that would have been a monopaly.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #52
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic

The NFL got royalties from game sales, but they also did get licensing fees as well. Not as much as what the exclusive license was worth obviously, but there has always been a licensing fee to make an NFL game.

I am not sure how their royalty deal worked though, whether they got a percentage of revenue or if they got paid based solely on number of copies sold. If it was the former, then I could definitely see why they would be upset with 2K's price cut, as it would cut into their take, but if it was based on games sold, which I think it was, they might still be upset at 2K, not because they were making less, but simply because they were hurting their brand image by discounting it to bargain basement prices. If I remember correctly, I think this was in fact the reason.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 23

I'm guessing the vast majority of royalty agreements are based on overall sales, especially if there is competition, since that will naturally lower prices (even if only a bit).
Old 10-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 3
2k needs to go and talk to the people at Konami and get some advice. EA had an exclusive FIFA license and Konami still made a soccer game because gameplay was most important. And the internet was not as accessible as it is now. Konami had the player likeness and not the player name. But they had an editing system in the game where you could edit the name on the jersey. uniforms were not exact but someone always created uniforms and you could actually download into the game. They created the shell and let the user finish the product. It would be even easier now for this to done because of the internet and consumers are able to upload and download roster so easily. I don't know if player likeness is a part of the NFL licensing. I would think not as long as it is not the players name.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #55
MVP

Kully's Arena

OVR: 22
Haha, where is 2K getting the money from. Man they went all out this year on NBA 2K11 and endorsements and now want to pick up the NFL license?

Not one to frown on competition, give it your best shot 2K.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 3
1997 is when I played my first Konami winning eleven game. I was in Europe and they love soccer. Everyone was buying this game with no license because. it was actually called ISS....International Superstar Soccer

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »