Home

2k definitely has a chance according to a hardcore Madden fan

This is a discussion on 2k definitely has a chance according to a hardcore Madden fan within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2003, 10:01 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
2k definitely has a chance according to a hardcore Madden fan

we all kno that hardcore madden fans are mostly closeminded but it looks like ESPNfl is good enough to open their minds according to this post by a maddenite.

Quote:

Posted by flamehead on gridiron gamers: Aug 5 2003, 04:14 PM

Well, I received the OPM Sept. issue in the mail with the demo of ESPN in it. I'm not sure if it's terribly different from the xbox demo in terms of what it offers, but it certainly is entertaining.

Once you load it in, it takes you to what would be the main menu except all of the options are grayed out except "play game" and "exit" (makes sense, right?) In the backround is the ESPN studio desk. You have the option of playing as the Jets, Steelers, Titans, Raiders, Bucs, Eagles, and maybe one another, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Anyway, as the game loads, you see all of the presentation screens we've seen in the videos minus the commentary. In fact, there's no commentary whatsoever in the demo.

As the game ushers you into the stadium, you see more of the ESPN game opening presentation sequences and the players warming up. The animations here are spot-on and look incredibly realistic. The first thing that REALLY caught my eye, however, was the grass--it looks incredible! You can tell they really put a lot of effort into the details here and it makes all the difference in the world. The player models look incredibly realistic as well. So good, in fact, that they make Madden's look so generic in comparison (and I love Madden!)

Since I'm used to Madden's playcalling screens, I'm very glad VC changed their screens to be the same way. I found I could call my plays much faster and it was much easier to navigate. Again, another minor detail that adds so much to the game.

Of course, what I really wanted to see and feel was the gameplay. The game automatically starts you out on the receiving end of the kickoff, so (obviously) you're on offense first. You only get 3 minutes to play per game and since I'm a grind it out, control the clock kind of guy, I found that I had to punt on first down if I wanted to play defense.

Anyway, the game feels GREAT! I was not a fan of the gameplay last year, so this year, IMO, SEGA has outdone themselves. They've added more momentum now so if FEELS so much more realistic. It still doesn't have as much momentum as Madden, but it doesn't have to. I don't know how to explain it, but they've done a great job of straddling that line of control and momentum.

Another plus--the ball physics are much better. No longer does it have that floaty feel like it did last year. Sacks--though I haven't gotten any yet (hard to get in 3 minute games you know), I can tell right off the bat that it's because of me. I'd get real close and in the excitement, accidently press the wrong button and go flying off somewhere instead of the QB. But I've gotten so close many times, and I can just tell that they've fixed this because, again, you can see the difference vs. last year.

The game animations are top notch. The blocking on the line is so realistic looking you'd swear you were watching a live game. Though nothing new, I could see and feel the difference between average players and quality players, though the differences were realistic, not arcadish, know what I mean?

This game really does cater to the sim freak, I'm more convinced than ever. I don't know how to describe it, but it just FEELS more like real football, rather than a video game, and I'm a die hard Madden fan! Somehow I have a feeling that this game will be spending more time in my console than Madden this year.

Well, I don't know if I've said anything you didn't already know, but I'll be more than happy to answer any questions anybody may have of the demo.

the post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2003, 10:06 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: 2k definitely has a chance according to a hardcore Madden fan

omg... the demo is actually working !
Old 08-05-2003, 10:27 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: 2k definitely has a chance according to a hardcore Madden fan

wow, those impressions were better than any impressions ive read from actual 2k fans! Go figure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »