Home

Does NFL 2k5 have an owners mode?

This is a discussion on Does NFL 2k5 have an owners mode? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Does NFL 2k5 have an owners mode?

I'm thinking of ordering/picking up NFL 2k5 because of all the positive things I've heard about it on Youtube.

The one thing that interests me is franchise mode. I picked up Madden 08 and its franchise mode is pretty awful, I can't set ticket prices, marketing spends, etc.

I cannot seem to find any content, walkthroughs, videos or images, etc on whether NFL 2k5 has an owners mode.

Can anyone confirm this, and if there are videos/images of this, that'd be great.

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Does NFL 2k5 have an owners mode?

There is indeed a franchise mode. Besides NFL Head Coach, 2k5 is the most sophisticated franchise mode in any football game, although Madden NFL 12 looks like they're finally getting serious about theirs, but I'd be shocked if it's as good as 2k5. Having said that, 2k5's franchise is not perfect, but it's the best we've got. I'll break it down.

FINANCING:
You cannot set ticket prices, concessions, etc. Every team is given a cap limit they must abide by. How you distribute the salaries is up to you and each player will desire a different contract (although it's best to just give ascending contracts to all of them with no bonuses - trust me). Otherwise, money is just a means to drive the salary cap and the player's salaries.

------------
NFL DRAFT:
To keep the franchise fresh, every season the game auto-creates players for the NFL draft. You can spend scouting "hours" to get different levels of insight into each player. Unfortunately, there is no "potential," so the diamond-in-the-rough routine wont happen. What's worse, the cpu doesn't draft certain player positions in the 1st round, so knowing this, you could snag a prolific CB deep in the 1st round, assuming you scouted the right man.

The real treat is working the draft over with FlyingFinn's editor. You can simulate Andrew Luck, Andy Dalton, etc. entering the draft and edit their stats appropriately. It's fun to see who goes where and how their careers pan out. To be fair to the game, the players you edit I'd encourage you to avoid, since you know their stats inside and out. Instead, pick guys you haven't touched.

------------
PROGRESSION:
Players progress their stats each and every season. This happens at the end of preseason (make sure you have preseason enabled!). This adds a randomness factor to the whole franchise, which is exciting. Keep in mind this is the year 2005, so Dallas Clark may not turn out to be the Dallas Clark of 2011!

------------
ESPN SPORTSCENTER:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-X3M6Zrg54&feature=channel_video_title
This is my favorite aspect. Depending on when you view it, you'll see something different.

At the end of every game week, Chris Berman gives an analysis of the various outcomes of each game. He breaks down "prime time performers," provides highlight videos, big contract agreements, big trades, and major injuries, including who is placed on injured reserve. It is mind blowing.

Mid-way through the season, Mel Kiper provides upcoming draft recommendations. This includes the sleepers in the 4th-5th rounds, but I never understood why they're called that, as there is no potential in this game. Eventually, Mel creates a mock draft of the first 32 picks. The irony is the draft never goes according to plan, due to the cpu's reluctance to pick certain 1st round positions (ex. CB). Oh well.

At the beginning of a new season, the show announces players declaring retirement. The contributing factors are old age, but most importantly, a failure to find a satisfactory contract. Old players are very picky about their money, and if they don't get it, they'll sit their a** in free agency or call it quits. I'd encourage you to refuse old players and work the draft to save money.

------------
ESPN "WEBSITE:"

In-game, you can view the ESPN "website" (just a menu interface) where you can view a summary of top draft picks, team strength projections, Mel's Mock Draft, summary of Prime Time Performances, etc. Basically, it's summaries of the ESPN Sportscenter above, but lacking some crucial elements, such as draft sleepers. I'd still encourage you to watch the ESPN Sportscenter for full analysis.

You can also view your email inbox, which is kind of dumb, but it's better than nothing. You read emails from your owner praising you for some performances. As a coach, you're given a contract and if you fail to meet the owner's expectations, you could get fired! The owner also tells you some players he'd like drafted, but just ignore him.

------------
CONCLUSION:
There are nagging issues with various parts of 2k5's franchise mode. Things can be exploited and various nuisances can hamper the realism; however, you need to go into it with an imagination. If you enjoy the game for what it is and refuse to cheat on it, it will give you back a lot of fun moments. The ESPN Sportscenter show really drives the imagination home, making you feel an authentic experience. It's fun to see your FlyingFinn edited roster culminate into a unique experience and watching how ESPN Sportscenter responds to it.

Just buy it. The game is $3.00. If you dare say it's not worth it, I'll smack you in the face.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...=operasport-20

Last edited by ReMeDy; 05-21-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

I will give the game this: it's hard as hell to manage the salary cap. Unlike any other football game I've played, ESPN2K5 does a really great job with replicating how contracts really work - especially with so many different kinds of contracts: front loaded, balanced, back loaded, etc.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
Rookie

Hello there.

Thanks for your reply. It was very detailed!

No, I wasn't saying it was worth it. I was just after a specific feature. 2K5 does interest me, just to find out what it is like.

Thanks again.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
I will give the game this: it's hard as hell to manage the salary cap. Unlike any other football game I've played, ESPN2K5 does a really great job with replicating how contracts really work - especially with so many different kinds of contracts: front loaded, balanced, back loaded, etc.
According to AJ Dembroski (OS handle: adembroski) who does design for Madden now, many of those contract types are against NFL contract rules, which is why we don't see them in Madden. That said, it did make for interesting gameplay, and certainly the salary cap in NFL 2K5 was tough to negotiate at times.

On player progression in this game: I never quite understood exactly what determined how much a player progressed. For whatever reason, I was lights-out with Cowboys QB Quincy Carter in any NFL video game I played - NFL 2K5 included, and yet I sucked with Brett Favre lol - but I could never get Carter to progress much in this game. Any ideas as to why?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Rookie

I'm not sure what dictates progression. I made a topic about it, but never got a response. At first I thought it was purely random, but I'm not so sure anymore.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...hise-mode.html

If a person is a rookie, they seem the most susceptible to a big progression shift (which makes sense), but it still doesn't explain the randomness of it all.

Last edited by ReMeDy; 05-22-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:31 AM   #7
Rookie

pants_face's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMeDy
I'm not sure what dictates progression. I made a topic about it, but never got a response. At first I thought it was purely random, but I'm not so sure anymore.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...hise-mode.html

If a person is a rookie, they seem the most susceptible to a big progression shift (which makes sense), but it still doesn't explain the randomness of it all.
Player progression is predetermined by the computer... which is too bad. So even if you give your rookies playing time or your HB has a fantastic season this does NOT mean they will progress positively. Visual Concepts really messed up on that part. I'm sure they would have fixed it in 2k6 but... that... game... never... happened.

Fortunately the gameplay is SO good in the first place that running a franchise is still fun!

Oh, and someone on these forums pointed out once (I don't recall who): Even if your player has an awesome season and still progresses backwards, that's ok because in real life players often have good seasons and bad season in their career. Some players will even be phenomenal for a short time and then fall into obscurity.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »