Home

Scattershooting observations from a longtime critic of the 2K series

This is a discussion on Scattershooting observations from a longtime critic of the 2K series within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2003, 09:56 PM   #1
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21
Scattershooting observations from a longtime critic of the 2K series

I just don't get it. Here's this game that addressed 95 percent of my beefs with it, and now I see where some of the 2K3 fans are disappointed? I don't understand. This game feels nothing like Madden, so that's not it. It's simply more polished - A LOT MORE POLISHED - than 2K3 was. So much more fluid, without the herky-jerky animations and dizzying colisions. I would think longtime fans of this series would feel a great deal of "I told you so" today, but I guess not all do.

Wierd.

I have only one real beef with this game so far. In all its pristine glory, where did these running animations come from? They don't look horrible, but why is everyone in seemingly half stride? Especially with the superb blocking and tackling animations, the strides of the players just doesn't look right.

But like I said, that's my only real complaint right now, and it's not close to a game-killer to this very well conceived and executed simulation of the NFL. I really love the game.

Some observations after about five games:

1. No, the passes are not floaty. This is a much clearer reflection of an NFL pass. Though I've liked Madden more in recent years, I've always been bothered how it depicts passes covering 30 yards in about one second. That's just unrealistic. ESPN does this nicely.

2. The passing animations, however, are a little odd at times. Sometimes they are really amazing, and others they just seem to animate incorrectly. Not really a big deal though.

3. The running game is really good, both offensively and defensively. You pop a couple of runs for nice gains, then you get shut down for a spell, and in a believable way. Very nice. You can bust it to the outside and outrace defenders, or you can slip a tackle inside. Likewise, you can get chased down or knocked on your keester to.

My lone complaint is that the animation where the defender pulls the RB over his body for extra yardage is a little too common.

4. I do not like the commentary. These guys' voices grate on my nerves, always have. Thus, I tend to play in "in the stands" or "on the field" mode.

5. The presentation is simply fantastic graphically. I love the stat overlays from different angles as players approach the line of scrimmage. Really cool. You could right five pages on the look of the game. It's just beautiful.

6. Problem: defensive pass interference is way too common. However, I'm pretty sure that this can be addressed with sliders.

7. I love the ability to look at the play-by-play of the entire game in the stats category. Really nice touch. Can't remember if that was in 2K3, but I like to go through it after a game.

8. The sack animations are outstanding, particularly on a blitzer that comes in free from the front side of a QB looking downfield. Just pulvarizes him, and looks very NFL-like. Likewise, the blocking for pass plays is much more lifelike than Madden, which is that game's biggest problem IMO.

9. First person is actually a lot of fun on defense. Offensively, it's really just not quite right, but defense is fun, especially rushing the passer with a blitzer.

10. The player models look good, but what's up with those facemasks?

11. For a late release, the rosters don't seem any more up to date than Madden. Fixable though.

12. Superb stadium detail, and I love the way the cut scenes during playcalling gives you a good look at the layout and the stands. Really nice grass textures, too. Best representation of Texas Stadium I've seen to date. Kudos.

13. The fatigue thing seems odd. And why does Hutch keep replacing Quincy even though I've changed the depth chart? I think I must be doing something wrong.

14. I am not finding the CPU runners too tough to tackle. Sure, they break tackles, but I get plenty of open-field tackles, too, and when I'm in the right defense, there's usually help to bring down a tough runner. No complaint here.

15. Ah yes, I forgot the momentum. Dang near perfect. Not too real, yet you have to watch your thumb conrol down the sidelines or you'll step out of bounds. Feels really good, and the contact between players is better than Madden's. I'm already well convinced of that.

All in all, I think this is a superb effort that will only get better once we've tweaked the sliders and gotten the penalty situation balanced.

If Sega puts in a good offense and works hard on what's already a damn fine game, then the sales figures for this series will dramatically increase. Perhaps even three- or four-fold.

I trashed 2K3 mercilessly. But ESPN will no doubt be my NFL game of choice this year. I can see a lot of hours logged on this puppy. Congratulations, Sega.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2003, 10:01 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Scattershooting observations from a longtime critic of the 2K series

i should really stop reading these impressions posts because people get so picky and some asshats find stuff that I could not possibly find wrong with the game until i specifically tried to exploit or use this bug. I am not saying thats what your post is or anything. I just felt like ranting.

good post though
Old 09-03-2003, 10:01 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Scattershooting observations from a longtime critic of the 2K seri

Nice post.

Glad to read something from someone who actually sounds like they know what they are talking about. The one thing I did notice about your post.....what about the AI? All you listed was not indicitive on how well the secondary is or how well your o-line opens holes.

Any words on the general AI?
Old 09-03-2003, 10:04 PM   #4
Banned

Freelance's Arena

Quote:

blurredvision said:
Nice post.

Glad to read something from someone who actually sounds like they know what they are talking about. The one thing I did notice about your post.....what about the AI? All you listed was not indicitive on how well the secondary is or how well your o-line opens holes.

Any words on the general AI?

I like the interaction at the line of scrimmage for running and passing plays, so it seems really good in that regard.

DB intelligence is always hard to diagnose in just a few games, so I'm holding off on that right now, particularly since I haven't even touched the sliders yet.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:06 PM   #5
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

Prett honest assessment IMO.

I think a little more time in the Day game lighting and the running and throwing animations.

although the QB looks much better releasing the ball.
i remember when the ball used to doa 180 in his hand before it left.

The QB still does not turn towards his receiver to step into the throw as much as he could, but MUCH better.

I'm having a BLAST....FPF is tight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2003, 10:22 PM   #6
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6

How are the plays in the playbooks this year? Any new formations offensively and defensively?
Old 09-03-2003, 10:23 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

My question is this... i know everyone has said that there are more sacks this year, but what kind of sacks? Can I realistically expect to get sacks with my Linebackers and Safeties? Obviously not all the time, but do they at least get in the QB's face every once in a while... or does the computer release the ball before you even have a chance?
Old 09-04-2003, 08:55 PM   #8
Banned

Freelance's Arena

Well, crap.

I stand by my original post; there's some amazing coolness in this game, BUT.......

I, too, have discovered what looks like some absolutely awful AI in the defensive backfield.

Two problems exist. First, there are animations that DBs get stuck in that are especially troublesome in goal line situations. They make slants almost automatic. And second, the out routes are so automatic that the computer simply has no chance to stop you, and IT NEVER LEARNS!

I don't play online because I simply do not have the time to play to justify the cost. Plus, I prefer the one-player season stuff to just random games. My time won't allow league play.

Looks like another year of exclusive NCAA action for me, just like last year.

Back to the drawing board, Sega. How can you do so much so well, yet fail so miserably in such an important AI area?

I'll wait for the "magical sliders" if they are hidden in the depths of this game, but I'm not feeling confident about that. I've never liked having to "trick up" a game to make it play a good game of football anyway.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »