Home

Guys who've actually played football, give me some insight...

This is a discussion on Guys who've actually played football, give me some insight... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
Rookie

pants_face's Arena

OVR: 1
Guys who've actually played football, give me some insight...

I never played football after 7th grade (and I was on the B-Squad!) so I don't know some things that I probably should. So here is my question:

In real life, when a WR or TE lines up a few steps back from the LoS what advantage/disadvantage does that give them when the play starts? And does that advantage/disadvantage exist in 2K5?

Also, I was wondering if when you sim preseason games does the CPU automatically put in your backup players for half of the game? I searched but couldn't find an answer to this on the forum.

Anything else you want to tell me strategy-wise would be cool too!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Rookie

redskinsfan803's Arena

Re: Guys who've actually played football, give me some insight...

i played in HS. i was pretty nubby, but i understand the game.

on offense, there has to be 7 men on the line of scrimmage. thats generally 5 linemen and 2 receivers.

however, if you add in a tight end, and you want him to run a route, the receiver on his side has to back off the line or else he is an inelligible receiver.

if you dont want him to run a route, the receiver on his side can stay on, but the other receiver must step off, or the offense will get an illegal formation/procedure penalty.

thats just one example.

long story short: no advantage, just a matter of offensive rules.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I agree with the above there's no advantage/disadvantage...its just rule the offense has to follow.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

its been well over 10 years since I hung up the cleats, played college ball . Some plays will be designed to gain advantages against the defense. If the Tight End lines up off the ball it may be he is more of a finese tight end and use it as an advantage to A) get off the line of scrimmage with minimal disruption from a defense of end or line backer attempting to jam him on the snap preventing his route timing with the QB. B) A finese tight end will not have the drive off the ball that a blocking tight end will have, playing off the line he will utilize angles and maybe try and position block ( get the running back to the outside of a DE or line backer, or cut up inside) all depending on the play call and the scheme that particular defense is in and how the player likes to play.

Some defensive guys are suckers when they see an opening to the inside and bite leaving their assignment to try and make a play, in this case hooking the guy or washing him down will lead to a decent alley for a running back.

So thats my opinion, I was an offensive lineman so interior play was my game as well as defenisve end play and scheme since I was a Tackle. As a blind side guy most of my career, I usually went against the speed finesse rushers who loved to run up the field and try to run around you. Thankfully i had good feet and pass protection technique to have some success against some solid players.

Last edited by synch22; 07-19-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
Rookie

pants_face's Arena

Thanks for the information, guys. It will definitely give me something to think about when watching the upcoming season (assuming the owners/nflpa don't F-up the negotiations!).

As far as implementing using a finesse TE lined up off of the ball, I'll see if it makes a difference in 2k5 with his route running and blocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch22
So thats my opinion, I was an offensive lineman so interior play was my game as well as defenisve end play and scheme since I was a Tackle. As a blind side guy most of my career, I usually went against the speed finesse rushers who loved to run up the field and try to run around you. Thankfully i had good feet and pass protection technique to have some success against some solid players.
synch, I bet playing college ball was awesome! What was your school?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »